Le retour des Nordiques Part XVIII: Ça Plane Pour Moi

Status
Not open for further replies.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
But don't let ourselves be fooled, we can not compare ourselves to markets like Miami, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Seattle or Raleigh. We are small and we are poor, the only thing we have is an higher ratio of the population interested in hockey and interested in spending money for hockey.

If we were so much attractive for the NHL, we would already have a team.

That is precisely why Quebec should have a team. Much like Winnipeg did, Quebec is going to significantly boost NHL revenues with the passionate and significant fan base it has. Revenues in merchandising. Revenues at the gate. Revenues in broadcasting. The NHL is going to take a hit in revenue, not only because of the Canadian dollar's decline, but as Drew Stafford stated, Canadians interest in hockey will wane without a Canadian team in the playoffs, which is less advertising revenue. Canadians are a lifeline to hockey, plain and simple. For me there is no greater justice than giving an original NHA market a franchise with the NHL's preparing to recognise its centennial, that is honouring history. No doubt it will be a great market, with much support from government and les gens du pays. Quebec is not poor either. That is insulting Winnipeg, who are who poorer but equally passionate about our Nordic game. Quebec is a truly beautiful city, the most European in North America, which should make it a rubber stamp issue for the PA, who think highly of it among its ranks.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
That is precisely why Quebec should have a team. Much like Winnipeg did, Quebec is going to significantly boost NHL revenues with the passionate and significant fan base it has. Revenues in merchandising. Revenues at the gate. Revenues in broadcasting. The NHL is going to take a hit in revenue, not only because of the Canadian dollar's decline, but as Drew Stafford stated, Canadians interest in hockey will wane without a Canadian team in the playoffs, which is less advertising revenue. Canadians are a lifeline to hockey, plain and simple. For me there is no greater justice than giving an original NHA market a franchise with the NHL's preparing to recognise its centennial, that is honouring history. No doubt it will be a great market, with much support from government and les gens du pays. Quebec is not poor either. That is insulting Winnipeg, who are who poorer but equally passionate about our Nordic game. Quebec is a truly beautiful city, the most European in North America, which should make it a rubber stamp issue for the PA, who think highly of it among its ranks.

I don't think there's much of a question about it's own viability, especially with the cap system and increasing revenue sharing.

However, the things you mention are all local revenues that would remain with the NuNords. It doesn't help with US growth, or expanding that footprint. I'm not sure myself how much it would affect national growth in Canada itself. Jacobs brought this up as well. Do we add more teams to share in the central revenues without really growing it? (for Vegas and QC)

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
I don't think there's much of a question about it's own viability, especially with the cap system and increasing revenue sharing.

However, the things you mention are all local revenues that would remain with the NuNords. It doesn't help with US growth, or expanding that footprint. I'm not sure myself how much it would affect national growth in Canada itself. Jacobs brought this up as well. Do we add more teams to share in the central revenues without really growing it? (for Vegas and QC)

And, to me, therein lies the big question.... I am not at all convinced that any new market would be above that. Even Seattle. It's not as big a sure thing as some people might say. Or, Houston, which sure seems to have everything you want, but we don't know for sure about interest there. Every expansion now is going to be a roll of the dice, and that applies in every league with a cap/floor system.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
And, to me, therein lies the big question.... I am not at all convinced that any new market would be above that. Even Seattle. It's not as big a sure thing as some people might say. Or, Houston, which sure seems to have everything you want, but we don't know for sure about interest there. Every expansion now is going to be a roll of the dice, and that applies in every league with a cap/floor system.

There are three markets in the US that are larger than most of the other NHL markets, and also rank in the top 15 US metro areas--- Houston, Atlanta, Seattle.

Of those three, Seattle is the richest, and economically booming, and it has a hockey history and it has WHL teams....and it would have a very natural rivalry with Vancouver. I think it could be in the top half, and if the team was successful and had playoff runs, yes, in the top ten.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

A lot of the merchandising revenue would be central. Assuming it is relocation my guess is that there would be a modest bump in this number over the team being moved, though in steady state probably not enough to count as more than noise in the big scheme of things for a $4B business.

The old Nords had a surprisingly broad following. You can still find their jerseys for sale all over Canada and when I go to games in Edmonton I still see them from time to time even on kids that were barely old enough to have actually seen the team play.

NordiquesFan

Apr 2, 2016
Quebec
This will sound biased coming from me, but I think given how people watch consume media nowadays, I believe the NHL should focus on going to markets where hockey will thrive easily (*cough* Quebec City *cough*). I don't believe they can sustainably and efficiently grow the game in those untraditional markets with the way advertising is going to change in the coming years. People often say to give those big untraditional markets time, build rinks, get their youth interested and in 20-30 years, that youth will be earning money and going to games. I simply do not think the NHL has 20-30 years. That's why even though I'm a bit of a skeptic its happening this year, I do believe a team is coming to Quebec City, through relocation. I also believe a team is going to Seattle, if they can resolve their arena/owner issues, as they've had hockey experience in the past, their current junior team is successful (at least from what I heard), and they have Vancouver to develop a natural rivalry with. I don't believe the NHL will be capable of growing its revenues significantly more than it has in the last two decades. Its best bet now would be to try and reduce the amount going towards bottom feeders, like it did by sending Atlanta to Winnipeg, and secure smaller basins of loyal and already interested fans.

SunDancer

Jan 4, 2015
on the Range
This will sound biased coming from me, but I think given how people watch consume media nowadays, I believe the NHL should focus on going to markets where hockey will thrive easily (*cough* Quebec City *cough*). I don't believe they can sustainably and efficiently grow the game in those untraditional markets with the way advertising is going to change in the coming years. People often say to give those big untraditional markets time, build rinks, get their youth interested and in 20-30 years, that youth will be earning money and going to games. I simply do not think the NHL has 20-30 years. That's why even though I'm a bit of a skeptic its happening this year, I do believe a team is coming to Quebec City, through relocation. I also believe a team is going to Seattle, if they can resolve their arena/owner issues, as they've had hockey experience in the past, their current junior team is successful (at least from what I heard), and they have Vancouver to develop a natural rivalry with. I don't believe the NHL will be capable of growing its revenues significantly more than it has in the last two decades. Its best bet now would be to try and reduce the amount going towards bottom feeders, like it did by sending Atlanta to Winnipeg, and secure smaller basins of loyal and already interested fans.

I've always wondered exactly what difference the ATL to WPG move made to the NHL's bottom line. If moving from a big untraditional market to a small traditional market really made a substantial difference (if any) to overall revenue, you would think that the NHL would be more interested in making a similar move again. The NHL's lack of enthusiasm for QC today could be rooted in their disappointment in the Thrashers vs Jets.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
I've always wondered exactly what difference the ATL to WPG move made to the NHL's bottom line. If moving from a big untraditional market to a small traditional market really made a substantial difference (if any) to overall revenue, you would think that the NHL would be more interested in making a similar move again. The NHL's lack of enthusiasm for QC today could be rooted in their disappointment in the Thrashers vs Jets.

The reality is that the owners only care about one thing: their own bottom line.

As long as someone else is paying the losses, it makes no difference where the 30th team is located.

The problem in Atlanta was that the team was evicted, and folding a team would be show that NHL as league is not very established, and thus it would limit their national media contract. So, they had to go somewhere.

The situation here is that the other owners don't care (I am sure, but of course it's only my opinion).

Except for one thing: If, and it's a big if, it were possible to saturate the US geopgraphically, and at the same time build large-scale excitement for hockey all over the US as well, then the US broadcast contract would be far more valuable. And, that is why they are reluctant to move away from any market in the US. The hope of a big media contract that would make them all fatter cats.

(I don't believe such a thing will heppen, though)

NordiquesFan

Apr 2, 2016
Quebec
The reality is that the owners only care about one thing: their own bottom line.

As long as someone else is paying the losses, it makes no difference where the 30th team is located.

The problem in Atlanta was that the team was evicted, and folding a team would be show that NHL as league is not very established, and thus it would limit their national media contract. So, they had to go somewhere.

The situation here is that the other owners don't care (I am sure, but of course it's only my opinion).

Except for one thing: If, and it's a big if, it were possible to saturate the US geopgraphically, and at the same time build large-scale excitement for hockey all over the US as well, then the US broadcast contract would be far more valuable. And, that is why they are reluctant to move away from any market in the US. The hope of a big media contract that would make them all fatter cats.

(I don't believe such a thing will heppen, though)

The NHL will never be as established as the other 3 major leagues in the states. Do I have a crystal ball? No. All I know is that certain sports are just ingrained in their culture as hockey is ingrained in ours. Their kids, especially in the south where the market isn't saturated, want to play football, not hockey. Given time, there is a chance this could change. However, as I've stated, I dont think the NHL has that time. The television market will never be as valuable as it has been in the late 1990s and 2000s because of the way people watch games. I don't think companies will be willing to purchase ads as much because of the way people choose to consume now.

The owners' bottom line is affected every time they need to bail out money-losing teams. A team in a smaller market like Quebec would obviously not be stacked with all-stars every year, but it could be comfortable and could easily live without equalization payments from the league. I think that's an important fact, if you get to tell owners that they've got one less thing to worry about. Additionally, I think we've seen how little interest there is in establishing other teams when the expansion process was launched and only 2 cities raised their hand. It goes back to what I'm saying: the valuation they put on their expansion teams is insane. I love hockey and would be ecstatic to have it back, but even I can admit that their price for a franchise is insane. The sport just isn't worth that much and never will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad