LD Yegor Zamula (2018 undrafted; signed by PHI)

denominator

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2012
Fort St John
I see you have a Hitmen avatar...have you taken in any Hitmen games this year? If so, do you mind offering some of your thoughts on Zamula. The statline looks great, but I haven't seen him play this year.

Unfortunately not. I just moved out of Calgary this past summer so haven't had a chance to see him live this season.

What I have seen in the full games I've watched through streaming and the highlights is that he's smooth and confident. Reminds me a lot of Provorov where he's not exceptionally flashy but generally you want to watch him every time he's on the ice. Really looks like he's playing at a higher level than his competition.

I don't know if physically he is ready to make a jump to pro yet, he still looks really gangly. But it's not a bad thing for his development to dominate at the junior level another year before moving up.

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
Still, Romanov won the best defenseman award at the last WJC, Russian team usually play great defense vs CHL teams in series, having mostly MHL/VHL defense. Russian teams won U17 World Challenge 2 years in a raw, Hlinka, and again, most (if not all) defensemen were from Russian leagues. On this coming WJC Zamula is our 4th (at best) defenseman, behind Romanov, Zhuravlev, Galenyuk. He's just factually wrong about Russian developing system. Does he really think, that KHL is slower, than CHL?
Slower probably means in the MHL,VHL you have more time to make decisions. The CHL playing faster would be a function of the smaller ice surface and the more aggressive nature of CHL players. You need to make fast decisions or get run over.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Slower probably means in the MHL,VHL you have more time to make decisions. The CHL playing faster would be a function of the smaller ice surface and the more aggressive nature of CHL players. You need to make fast decisions or get run over.

I don't think CHL is faster, than VHL as well, and still, CHL players don't look that better, than MHL ones at international tournaments. If they actually were faster, they would beat their Russian counterparts, but it just doesn't happen.

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
I don't think CHL is faster, than VHL as well, and still, CHL players don't look that better, than MHL ones at international tournaments. If they actually were faster, they would beat their Russian counterparts, but it just doesn't happen.
Zamula, who has played in the MHL and CHL seems to think so. And I think my point remains valid about having to make decisions faster. I wasn’t postulating anything about league quality or anything, just what was making Big Z to believe that the CHL plays “faster” which I believe is due to the need to make decisions faster due to smaller ice surfaces in the CHL, and the more aggressive nature of Canadian players.

Reactions: greasysnapper

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Zamula, who has played in the MHL and CHL seems to think so. And I think my point remains valid about having to make decisions faster. I wasn’t postulating anything about league quality or anything, just what was making Big Z to believe that the CHL plays “faster” which I believe is due to the need to make decisions faster due to smaller ice surfaces in the CHL, and the more aggressive nature of Canadian players.

Yep. It's a different style of play. It's almost a different version of the game.

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
Sharing what someone else shared from his game last Saturday...these were all in the 1st period. He is #9. The talk was about him and breakouts and confidence with the puck.

Wow, he looks fantastic in those gifs. Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: Tripod

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Dobber Prospects today:

Yegor Zamula was quite the find for the Philadelphia Flyers. I’ve had the privilege of watching him play a few times live and many times online and while he is still growing into his big six-foot-three frame, his balance, explosive skating, and vision have improved drastically over the last couple years. On a very good Calgary blueline, he has shown that he’s just as good as teammate and former second-round-pick Jett Woo, and a lot more potential. Zamula will not be a PP Quarterback at the next level but he certainly does have a good shot of being an NHL player.

Reactions: Young Sandwich

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
There is a window where CHL players can be signed in between the draft and the start of the season. If Philly hadn't signed him then he'd have been back in the 2019 draft.
Here I am coming to ask this question because this guy is looking like a steal and I was trying to figure out how the hell he passed through the draft in 2019

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Here I am coming to ask this question because this guy is looking like a steal and I was trying to figure out how the hell he passed through the draft in 2019
We got Phil Myers the same way.

Both undrafted
Both went to Calgary Flames rookie camp
Both not worthy of signing by Flames
Both invited to Flyers rookie camp
Both invited to main Flyers camp
Both signed by Flyers

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Might as well update his season since he is now off to Russia camp for WJC which will skew his year end rankings.

28 points in 28 games
3rd in WHL in points for D
2nd in WHL PPG for D
1st 10 games: 13 points
2nd 10 games: 7 points
next 8 games: 8 points

Reactions: teddygmr

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Might as well update his season since he is now off to Russia camp for WJC which will skew his year end rankings.

28 points in 28 games
3rd in WHL in points for D
2nd in WHL PPG for D
1st 10 games: 13 points
2nd 10 games: 7 points
next 8 games: 8 points
A bit OT question: how does that compare to Knyazev's IIRC 21pts in 23gp in the Q?

HyPnOtiK

Aug 21, 2007
Philadelphia, Pa
Still, Romanov won the best defenseman award at the last WJC, Russian team usually play great defense vs CHL teams in series, having mostly MHL/VHL defense. Russian teams won U17 World Challenge 2 years in a raw, Hlinka, and again, most (if not all) defensemen were from Russian leagues. On this coming WJC Zamula is our 4th (at best) defenseman, behind Romanov, Zhuravlev, Galenyuk. He's just factually wrong about Russian developing system. Does he really think, that KHL is slower, than CHL?
Zamula is better than Romanov, he's certainly better than Zhuravlev and Galenyuk

Last edited:

dougd

Jul 20, 2002
fortmcmurray ab can
:laugh: Zamula is most definitely NOT better than Romanov.
2nd that.
Totally different styles.
Zamula better vision, but that’s it.
Romanov is a stud in his age group, and will continue into his chrono progression.

Philadelphia rec’d a free Lotto ticket with IZ signing and looks like he will be a long term big leaguer for many years.

Romanov IMO, will be a defensive stalwart
With Norris consideration just on his defence alone and could possibly win with decent offensive numbers down the road.
There, out on a limb but really like what I see.

Reactions: FromRussiaWithLove

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad