LD Xavier Ouellet (2011, 48th overall, Detroit)

smokes lets go

Oct 18, 2008
He is off to a good start statistically with 2g-21pts and +8 in 23 games for the montreal juniors this year yet has been overlooked in many top 30 rankings this year, anyone seen him play live, who does he compare to?

Superpest

Undrafted Free Agent
May 20, 2009
Cascadia
I say this in every thread where he is mentioned but, we have the exact same name, except im Xavier Ouellette, not Ouellet.

Sala90

Aug 20, 2009
Rimouski
Good puckmoving d-man, good shot on pp. Some mistakes on the defense area. The best comparison is Kristopher Letang.

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007
Xavier Ouellet

What happened with that guy?

He was on fire to start the season and started getting talk as a 1st rounder. Since then, he cooled off considerably and is now talked of as a 2nd-3rd rounder.

He is said to have good D ability and he improved his offense as his numbers indicated this year (43 points in 67 games). However, that increase can be attributed to added ice time also.

That is all I know on this prospect. He doesn't seem to be getting a lot of hype anymore, but he seems like an intriguing prospect to me. Anyone with more info?

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Xavier Ouellet

Looks like a really solid pickup for the wings in the mid second round last year.

He was named captain of his team this season and has really played great hockey. Hes tied for second in goals for defensemen in the Q, 6th in points and while all of the top 5 scorers are born in 1992, Ouelett is a 1993. He was never supposed to be an offensive guy at the next level really, more of a defensive guy with a good first pass. This offense is still really nice to see though.

Last year he was scouted as being a Lidstrom style of player in his own zone (not as good, just style). He was a very good positional defender and extremely soft. This year while still being very good defensively, he has started hitting and has had a few fights that he has done well in, definitely isnt soft anymore.

Next season he should be the best dman in the Q, and a Canadian world junior team member. What do others who have seen him play think of him?

I've heard him compared to Brad Stuart as a player as well, any other comparisons?

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
I'm a big fan as well, Stuart is a very good comparison. Don't get bogged down with his +/- either. He's always on the ice against top players of other teams and his team is below average offensively. I'd like to see him as well on Team Canada next year.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Well hes up to 4th in points now with 5 games less then the 2 guys ahead of him. Hes also up to 16 goals which is second place, 5 off the lead.

All the guys ahead of him are still at least a year older, he was also an assist away from a gordie howe hatrick last game with his 4th fight of the season.

Is it safe to say he'll be the top defenseman in the Q next year?

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
i always thought he could squeak into the 1st round last year. didnt happen and as usual the wings got a good one. should be a contender for team canada next december.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Well hes up to 4th in points now with 5 games less then the 2 guys ahead of him. Hes also up to 16 goals which is second place, 5 off the lead.

All the guys ahead of him are still at least a year older, he was also an assist away from a gordie howe hatrick last game with his 4th fight of the season.

Is it safe to say he'll be the top defenseman in the Q next year?

Xavier Ouellet has 9 goals, 8 assists, 17 points in his last 10 games.

He hasn't stopped getting better since he came into the league at 16. Never stops to impress me. He will be a good NHLer one day.

He is definitely the best 18 years old defenseman in the league, next year he should be the top D in the whole QMJHL.

Will definitely get consideration for Team Canada. As I said, the guy has improved every freaking day since his first QMJHL game. Wouldn't surprise me if he gets a loooooooong look with the Wings in September, although Detroit never rushes prospects.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Looks like a really solid pickup for the wings in the mid second round last year.

He was named captain of his team this season and has really played great hockey. Hes tied for second in goals for defensemen in the Q, 6th in points and while all of the top 5 scorers are born in 1992, Ouelett is a 1993. He was never supposed to be an offensive guy at the next level really, more of a defensive guy with a good first pass. This offense is still really nice to see though.

Last year he was scouted as being a Lidstrom style of player in his own zone (not as good, just style). He was a very good positional defender and extremely soft. This year while still being very good defensively, he has started hitting and has had a few fights that he has done well in, definitely isnt soft anymore.

Next season he should be the best dman in the Q, and a Canadian world junior team member. What do others who have seen him play think of him?

I've heard him compared to Brad Stuart as a player as well, any other comparisons?

He was never touted as that kind of player to be honest...he was always an offensive dman who had question marks on his defensive play...

He wasnt a river boat gambler type of dman but he was definitely an offensive guy who needed to round out his game...

No one should be surprised by his offensive numbers this year.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
is bealieau not in the q next year? if he is, hes got the best dman title

Ouellet is playing better hockey then Bealieau right now. Just got named Q player of the month with 16 points in 11 games.

Now up to 16 goals and 43 points in 46 games

Rolo Tomassi

May 6, 2010
This guy has been unreal lately, has he shown that much improvement or do you think he will cool off dramatically?

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
This guy has been unreal lately, has he shown that much improvement or do you think he will cool off dramatically?

Xavier has never stopped improving, I see no reason why he would cool off. His confidence is off the chart, he is the captain, the team is having success, he is getting a lot of ice time, he is just awesome. You can just see his confidence level when he carries the puck up the ice. Such a smart player with great skating ability and high hockey IQ.

Playoffs are just a month away, this is where he will be able to make a true statement. He will be the most important player on his team, along with starting goaltender and draft eligible Etienne Marcoux.

BLBarmada

He's always had the potential, I think he's going to be a great defenceman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad