LD Vojtech Budik - Prince Albert Raiders, WHL (2016, 130th, BUF)

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
The 6'1 190 lbs Defenceman was the 17th overall selection in the Import draft by the Prince Albert Raiders and is expected to be a top 60 pick. His fellow countryman Libor Hajek has more hype but Vojtech Budik could very well be the better player. His 1st game will be Friday against Hajek and the Blades. Looking forward to watching him and how he progresses during the year.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=201615

Diddy

Feb 20, 2015
SK
I'm going to the raider game Saturday and really looking forward to seeing this guy play. Craig button had him at #13 on his 2016 draft list. It's button so take it with a grain of salt but I'm really looking forward to him

Diddy

Feb 20, 2015
SK
Saw him Saturday but just posting about him now. He played well. Didn't stand out much. He seemed more interested in the offensive side of things than defensive but was still good in his own zone. He made some bad pinches on offense. Played physical as well.
Only the second game of the season so improvement is to be expected.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
He isn't a flashy guy who will stand out but does the little things right. Good at chipping the puck out and vision. The odd time he shows what his offence could be with a rush or two. Should do it more as he has the ability. I doubt he'll be a 1st rounder but looks like a 2nd rounder who is a future 2nd/3rd pairing d-man in the NHL.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
He isn't a flashy guy who will stand out but does the little things right. Good at chipping the puck out and vision. The odd time he shows what his offence could be with a rush or two. Should do it more as he has the ability. I doubt he'll be a 1st rounder but looks like a 2nd rounder who is a future 2nd/3rd pairing d-man in the NHL.

See the same. Outstanding patience, controlled on breakouts, quick feet, slot coverage very good, doesnt puck gaze, step-ups timely, excellent gap. Doesn't get fancy with the puck at all. In it goes, out it goes.

Like him a lot. Ranked him as a 3rd rounder but if Zborovskiy can be a 3rd rounder in a deep draft, who knows how high Budik can end up.

SmartPuck

Mar 8, 2016
He lacks hockey sense. Don't think drawing a parallel to Zborovskiy is worth while either as he was a reach and wasn't a draft-worthy player imo.

I wouldn't take Budik within the top 4 rounds, even in a weak draft year.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
See the same. Outstanding patience, controlled on breakouts, quick feet, slot coverage very good, doesnt puck gaze, step-ups timely, excellent gap. Doesn't get fancy with the puck at all. In it goes, out it goes.

Like him a lot. Ranked him as a 3rd rounder but if Zborovskiy can be a 3rd rounder in a deep draft, who knows how high Budik can end up.

Interesting. I scouted him multiple times in the first half of the season and once in February and he really struggled defensively. He rushed plays when pressured, consistently gave the puck away and struggled at times with positioning. Offensively he was a non factor most of the time. Maybe I just saw him during bad games but he had a lot of work to do at both ends of the ice.

SmartPuck

Mar 8, 2016
Interesting. I scouted him multiple times in the first half of the season and once in February and he really struggled defensively. He rushed plays when pressured, consistently gave the puck away and struggled at times with positioning. Offensively he was a non factor most of the time. Maybe I just saw him during bad games but he had a lot of work to do at both ends of the ice.

Don't worry, I've seen what you've seen. DM23BK30 only watches streams to form his rankings and opinions anyway.

SmartPuck

Mar 8, 2016
So they can "reach" on Zborovskiy but not Budik - the better prospect?

OK.

I never said they couldn't reach on Budik. They can reach on whoever they want. Just saying his situation isn't really the same as while he's surely more toolsy than Z, he still has major flaws that would stop me from even considering him in the top 100+ picks.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
I never said they couldn't reach on Budik. They can reach on whoever they want. Just saying his situation isn't really the same as while he's surely more toolsy than Z, he still has major flaws that would stop me from even considering him in the top 100+ picks.

Not trying to change your opinion, but this is a very weak draft across all positions. You can point out major flaws in every defenseman outside of Chychrun-Juolevi-Sergachev.

Fabbro isn't physical and gets moved off the puck often. Bean is a horror show in his own end and has spent the entire season making the same mistakes over and over again. McAvoy is undisciplined. Day is aloof and grossly inconsistent. Niemelainen is terrible at positioning and chases guys out to the blue line. Stanley struggles with gaps and slot coverage. Krys is a turnover machine. Clague can't hit the net and is frail. Girard has poor balance and is easily moved off the puck.

All these kids have flaws. We ranked him where we ranked him because he has the size and mobility ideal for the NHL game. The fact that he adapted well to a defense-first role shows his versatility. You're entitled to you opinion, but we assess his hockey sense as above average. Using CSB's checklist for hockey sense, he scores pretty well in versatility (plays top pairing, PK), discipline (doesn't take bad/retaliation penalties), anticipation (reads, attacks openings) and play under pressure (his best attribute). His playmaking is average. His decision making is also slightly above average -- excellent in his own end and average from his blue-line out.

Size-mobility-versatility will get him drafted ahead of the bulk of the boom-or-bust puck movers, especially the weaker, smaller ones. I don't think you'll find one scout or analyst surprised to see him drafted in the 3rd round. In fact, if he falls past 100, he'll be called a steal when the draft is over.

SmartPuck

Mar 8, 2016
Not trying to change your opinion, but this is a very weak draft across all positions. You can point out major flaws in every defenseman outside of Chychrun-Juolevi-Sergachev.

Fabbro isn't physical and gets moved off the puck often. Bean is a horror show in his own end and has spent the entire season making the same mistakes over and over again. McAvoy is undisciplined. Day is aloof and grossly inconsistent. Niemelainen is terrible at positioning and chases guys out to the blue line. Stanley struggles with gaps and slot coverage. Krys is a turnover machine. Clague can't hit the net and is frail. Girard has poor balance and is easily moved off the puck.

All these kids have flaws. We ranked him where we ranked him because he has the size and mobility ideal for the NHL game. The fact that he adapted well to a defense-first role shows his versatility. You're entitled to you opinion, but we assess his hockey sense as above average. Using CSB's checklist for hockey sense, he scores pretty well in versatility (plays top pairing, PK), discipline (doesn't take bad/retaliation penalties), anticipation (reads, attacks openings) and play under pressure (his best attribute). His playmaking is average. His decision making is also slightly above average -- excellent in his own end and average from his blue-line out.

Size-mobility-versatility will get him drafted ahead of the bulk of the boom-or-bust puck movers, especially the weaker, smaller ones. I don't think you'll find one scout or analyst surprised to see him drafted in the 3rd round. In fact, if he falls past 100, he'll be called a steal when the draft is over.

Agree to disagree I guess. I've seen him a bunch of times the past couple years, all live and I continue to question his hockey sense. No doubting the physical tools, but I just don't see great sense in him with or without the puck.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Thought it's a decent time for a bump. Budik has 12 points in his last 15 games, 24 points in 53 games overall. No goals, only assists while playing for a pretty bad team.
For people who watch the Prince Albert Raiders, how has he been in the season so far?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad