LD Vladislav Kolyachonok (2019, 52nd, FLA; traded to ARI)

Jul 1, 2014
Canada
Reactions: SpitfireG

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Got to be one of the most underrated dman in this upcoming draft.
Elite tools, he has been one of the best, if not the best, dman during u18 tournament. Full package, perfectly tailored for the speedy and quick transition nhl game. Should be, in my opinion, in the mix with the best dmen available in the draft.

Kolyachonok thriving on long road to 2019 NHL Draft

https://thehockeywriters.com/vladislav-kolyachonok-2019-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

He's the whole package, that's true, and it's heartening to read about how seriously he takes his development, but I don't know if I'd have Kolyachonok with the other top defensemen available. I personally see Byram, Sodrestrom Seider, Harley and Heinola as being clearly a bit better overall right now, but Kolyachonok should be in serious contention to be picked after these guys, with guys likes York and Broberg.

My own absolute pipedream would be for the Montreal Canadiens to draft a high-ranked forward at #15, someone like Caufield, and then manage to nab Kolyachonok in the second round somehow. That, or draft a guy like Heinola first and still manage to draft Kolyachonok in the second for further depth.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
The Knights should have kept Kolyachonok over Guskov. It was apparent from training camp that he has all the tools to be an outstanding modern defenseman. Great mobility, puck moving, and decision making.

Easily a late first in my eyes.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
I definitely think Kolyachonok can make a strong case for a top-62 pick by draft time. A very smooth and smart player, excellent instincts with and without the puck.

I was hedging my bets a bit in September so I didn't end up with pie on my face, but he's looked a 1st rounder for me the whole year.

Even the times he makes a bad pinch, he has excellent recovery skills. His teams surrender very few solid offensive chances on the side of ice he is defending.

Reactions: SpitfireG and Lays

su24

Sep 30, 2017
I was hedging my bets a bit in September so I didn't end up with pie on my face, but he's looked a 1st rounder for me the whole year.

Even the times he makes a bad pinch, he has excellent recovery skills. His teams surrender very few solid offensive chances on the side of ice he is defending.
Speaking of his recovery skills. That speed:

Reactions: neelynugs

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
I could see this guy get drafted pretty early today in the second round, even though I'd prefer it if my team managed to get him with the 46th pick. He's basically a left-handed Moritz Seider with slightly less adaptability/physicality/size/smarts, the same freakish athletic gifts, genuinely low complete bust potential and similar skating ability.

I believe that whichever team adds him to their prospect pool will make a good choice and be happy in a couple of years as I see this guy eventually make the NHL full-time and being a pretty good contributor and possible two-way (but more defensively-oriented) top-4 defenseman.

If all goes well for Kolyachonok and he progresses throughout next year, I could see him being as highly regarded next summer as Samorukov is now.

Last edited:

RealHumanBean

Mar 23, 2018
Really like this pick after reading some more about him. I've seen a lot of people praise his work ethic so that's always good.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Have watched most of his last 3 games and he does a lot of things well, nothing elite but there's definite upside to his game. Hopefully some more physical play once he fills out.
He's got the skating and ability to break up plays defensively while creating on the PP with a deceivingly heavy bomb from the point.
He is playing a fair bit of RD for Flint as well, still need to figure out if that's his preferred side being a left shot.

1 goal, 4 pts, 12 SOG, +3 in 4 games so far with Flint, who are now 3-1 to start the year after winning 3 straight.
Not bad for a guy who projects to be more of a defensive/2-way LD.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

Another assist for Kolyachonok tonight, pushing his point streak to 4 games now.
1 goal, 5 pts in 5 games and Flint has set a franchise record with their 4th straight win, a 4-3 OT final.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Kolyachonak has been loaned to Dinamo Minsk of the KHL for the upcoming season. Will be interesting to see how he does at that level .

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Recalled to AHL Syracuse. Played 46 in the KHL this year.

Anyone see how he did?

Played a lot with Brennan Menell. Saw a decent amount of minutes and did ok for a kid in a men's league, but his offense was a bit behind what I expected. In his draft year I thought he was a guy with "2 way" potential, but I'm suspect of the offensive side now. But I wonder what that would've looked like if he played this year as a main guy on an OHL team.

Reactions: FlaPanthers11

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad