LD Victor Svedberg (2009 undrafted; 2013 signed, CHI) - 6'8" giant

headsigh

leave at once!
Oct 5, 2008
Atlanta
ofthesouth.blogspot.com
I got the chance to watch a Swedish game and I can't help but notice this guy playing for Frolunda, he's huge. 6'9", and I know size like that doesn't go around often. He's draft eligible this year and is putting up good-enough numbers, but he doesn't seem to be paid attention to much. Anyone know more about this dude?

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I got the chance to watch a Swedish game and I can't help but notice this guy playing for Frolunda, he's huge. 6'9", and I know size like that doesn't go around often. He's draft eligible this year and is putting up good-enough numbers, but he doesn't seem to be paid attention to much. Anyone know more about this dude?

He has been passed over twice in the draft purportedly for questionable physicality and foot speed. I would say he's more Hal Gill than Zdeno Chara and that's in a perfect world. In other words, if he were four or five inches shorter he wouldn't even be considered a prospect and I think NHL GMs are taking that to heart.

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
I've seen many games with him, and I think he's improved a lot this season. Still takes too many dumb penalties though. But he's fun to watch, he's huge and he has a bit of a mean streak. Good mobility for his size.

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
Bumping this thread since Svedberg now has played 22 games in the SEL this season, was 1+1 and had an overall great game tonight. In those 22 games he has scored two goals and has two assists, collected eight penalty minutes, have only been on the ice for six goals against and is currently a +5. With nine games under the belt since last season, many of them only spent on the bench (counts as a game played in Sweden), he was still not used to senior hockey and made some mistakes. But as the season has progressed, he has really taken huge steps and is currently playing very solid hockey, trying to make things happen offensively while using his big reach to be extremely effective defensively.

Anyhow, here's the highlight from tonight's game, Svedberg is identified by his #4 or him being a head taller then everyone else, and he scored the 1-0 goal and has a secondary assist on the 3-1 goal: http://www.elitserienplay.se/video.1283644171001

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
Okay a second bump, but deservingly so. Svedberg is a defensive stud, he's adapting really quickly and his development curve is basically through the roof at this point. Can't believe no team took a chance with a late round pick on him.

Exalted User
Dec 14, 2010
Babylon
Okay a second bump, but deservingly so. Svedberg is a defensive stud, he's adapting really quickly and his development curve is basically through the roof at this point. Can't believe no team took a chance with a late round pick on him.

The couple of games i've seen with him he's ben a rock defensively. I could deffinately see an NHL-team signing him to a two way contract in a couple of years. He'll likely have to spend one or two seasons in the AHL though before he could step in to the NHL though but i think his upside is pretty undeniable. At 6'9" 240 lbs he's gargantuan.

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
I got to admit that he has been a pleasant surprise this year. It seems the complaining over the D prospects traded away was needless. Svedberg and Gustafsson have earned their spots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad