LD Valeri Vasiliev - Severstal Cherepovets, KHL (2012, 201st, PHI)

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
When looking at Craig Button's new 2012 Top 60, this name immediately caught my eye because of its history. Is this the son of the former star Soviet defenseman Valeri Vasiliev? The name certainly suggests so, and his age fits, but couldn't find an answer. If so, does he play anything like his father? For those that don't know, his father was a smaller player that could devastate guys with hits, was a solid shutdown defenseman, and could still move the puck. One certainly can't expect this Valeri to be that good, but if he can play the same style, I think he'd be a good fit for the Flyers. We could use some physicality and puck moving ability from the back end. Whether the Flyers would be willing to draft a Russian is a different matter.

Bure

Jan 3, 2011
Ottawa, Ontario
I don't know to much about him but I think some of the guys on the Russian board would be more then happy to answer you.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
When looking at Craig Button's new 2012 Top 60, this name immediately caught my eye because of its history. Is this the son of the former star Soviet defenseman Valeri Vasiliev? The name certainly suggests so, and his age fits, but couldn't find an answer. If so, does he play anything like his father? For those that don't know, his father was a smaller player that could devastate guys with hits, was a solid shutdown defenseman, and could still move the puck. One certainly can't expect this Valeri to be that good, but if he can play the same style, I think he'd be a good fit for the Flyers. We could use some physicality and puck moving ability from the back end. Whether the Flyers would be willing to draft a Russian is a different matter.

I've never heard that he was Valeri Vasiliev's son, but that doesn't mean that he's not. Since the Valeri Vasiliev of the '70's and 80's died about a month ago, that would have been a likely human interest story, if it were true. His name is a very common one in Russia.

Chuck Downie

Cheese and olive
Jul 11, 2007
World Traveller
4th in ATOI for D. Should that number rise after a good game?

He's been getting steady second pairing minutes for the first time in his KHL career. 19 mins avg compared to under 12 in the previous 112 games before this season, plus he logged 23 mins today. Staying around 19 mins a game, he's someone to keep an eye on.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
He's been getting steady second pairing minutes for the first time in his KHL career. 19 mins avg compared to under 12 in the previous 112 games before this season, plus he logged 23 mins today. Staying around 19 mins a game, he's someone to keep an eye on.

Probably a dumb question: Do the Flyers still have his rights?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad