LD Tyler Dunbar - Muskegon Lumberjacks, USHL (2022 Draft)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This guy looks extremely good. It’s early to say a range for a draft that’s in over two years, but there can’t be many better defensemen than this guy.

I don’t see much in his game that I don’t like. He has good puck skills, hockey IQ and skates well. I also think he doesn’t look bad defensively and he has good size. He was the second youngest player in the league this season, yet managed to put up good stats. I liked what I saw from him much more than his more hyped teammate at the same position, Dylan Gratton. He also appears to be eligible for USA and Canada. He hasn’t represented either yet.

Tyler Dunbar at eliteprospects.com

Reactions: d rake

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Liked Dunbar a lot in Minor Midget. Clearly one of those guys who wasn't physically developed and thus didn't gain the amount of attention he should have. Was also overshadowed on his team by Matier who was a more physical force.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
Is a late December birth date so he would have been somewhat behind in the physical development aspect compared to his age cohort. Good skater and more importantly can think the game well. Rumor is that he will be offered and accept a scholarship from North Dakota.

ness180

Jan 27, 2012
Is a late December birth date so he would have been somewhat behind in the physical development aspect compared to his age cohort. Good skater and more importantly can think the game well. Rumor is that he will be offered and accept a scholarship from North Dakota.
Good call all the way back from April. Tyler committed to North Dakota.

Reactions: William H Bonney

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Looks a lot stronger and more physical this year in his defensive play. Didn't play well, at all, last night but I still like his potential.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
Yeah I agree he struggled that game Buchnevich was watching but looked great this game. I think he has top 4 potential at the nhl level if he can continue getting quicker feet. But I think has a chance to be a first round pick in 2022 draft

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Any idea which country he’s going to represent internationally?

He has great offensive and defensive instincts, despite not being the biggest or strongest or flashiest. He makes so many quality plays in all zones due to his instincts with and away from the puck.

I think he has can be an all situations guy in the NHL. I think he’s looking like an early first round pick for next year. Maybe not terribly high in the first round because it looks like a good draft and he might lack huge upside, but he’s very reliable in all zones. I’d compare him a little to Henry Thrun.

Reactions: BKarchitect

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
25 points in 61 games this season. Committed to North Dakota for next season.

My notes on him from this season.

Dunbar: Still a fan of what I see. Two way-defenseman. Not flashy, but efficient. Can play in every zone. Reminds me a little of Henry Thrun. Late first or early second round pick.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Do you still feel the same way about Dunbar? Late 1st to early 2nd round range?
A little lower on him, but not that much. I didn't love what I saw from him this season. I expected him to be one of the best defensemen in the USHL, and he wasn't. He still showed NHL ability that some of the better ones in the league didn't, so while he didn't have the best season you balance it with that he's a draft-eligible and he has NHL potential.

He's very underrated though by the consensus. He's a second rounder, as I view it.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
A little lower on him, but not that much. I didn't love what I saw from him this season. I expected him to be one of the best defensemen in the USHL, and he wasn't. He still showed NHL ability that some of the better ones in the league didn't, so while he didn't have the best season you balance it with that he's a draft-eligible and he has NHL potential.

He's very underrated though by the consensus. He's a second rounder, as I view it.
He was one of the best D in the league at 5v5. He didn't get PP time because of Guevin and Ellis(probably deserved it over ellis) his issues have always been defensively, and is prone to tunnel vision coming out of the zone and allowing guys to sneak behind him for breakaways. I fully expect him to have a huge year again in the USHL, get the pp time he deserves and probly have a 40+ pt season. His puck skills, elusivity and ability to distrubute through transition are extremely impressive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad