LD Ty Smith - Spokane Chiefs, WHL (2018, 17th, NJD)

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Imagine the love this guy would be getting if he was drafted by a big market team?

You mean he would be overhyped?

He's an offensive defenseman in his D+1 year, he's expected to put up points.

He's similar to Anthony DeAngelo, who put up 89 points in 55 games who hasn't exactly panned out. Not saying he's going to follow the same path as DeAngelo, just saying he's doing what he should be so far.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
25 points in 16 games. Tied for the lead in points among defensman in the WHL. Has three games in hand on the player he's tied with. Is second in assists in the entire league. On pace for well over 100+ points if he played in every game. Don't expect him to do that though because I can't see him not being on the WJC team. I can't remember too many defensman off the top of my head putting up the amount of offensive this guy is from the defense. Especially a player who still has another year of Junior eligibility.

Can anyone who watches him on a regular basis go into more detail than my stat watching? Seems like a player whos flying under the radar and who deserves much more hype.

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
Since the lockout, so 2005/06 to date, the following D have put up 1.0 PPG or better in the WHL as a U19 player:

1.56 - Ty Smith (this season, it's early)
1.27 - Brenden Kichton
1.24 - Josh Morrissey
1.20 - David Quenneville
1.18 - Ivan Provorov
1.14 - Tyson Barrie
1.13 - Shea Theodore
1.13 - Henri Jokiharju
1.12 - Calen Addison (this season, it's early)
1.06 - Ty Smith (age 17!)
1.05 - Jake Bean
1.03 - Joe Hicketts
1.02 - Derrick Pouliot
1.02 - Jusso Valimaki
1.02 - Ivan Provorov (age 17!)
1.00 - Morgan Rielly (age 17!)

Pretty good list of players. Smith has the highest PPG as a U18 player since the lockout and is currently leading all U19 players since the lockout in PPG as well.

But according to some he's just doing what he should be doing so far?

bishop12

Ovyously
Dec 1, 2006

He's similar to Anthony DeAngelo, who put up 89 points in 55 games who hasn't exactly panned out. Not saying he's going to follow the same path as DeAngelo, just saying he's doing what he should be so far.
Is Deangelo used for every bloody example of a offensive smaller dman as a reason he'll bust? Tiresome. Not every player is the same.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Since the lockout, so 2005/06 to date, the following D have put up 1.0 PPG or better in the WHL as a U19 player:

1.56 - Ty Smith (this season, it's early)
1.27 - Brenden Kichton
1.24 - Josh Morrissey
1.20 - David Quenneville
1.18 - Ivan Provorov
1.14 - Tyson Barrie
1.13 - Shea Theodore
1.13 - Henri Jokiharju
1.12 - Calen Addison (this season, it's early)
1.06 - Ty Smith (age 17!)
1.05 - Jake Bean
1.03 - Joe Hicketts
1.02 - Derrick Pouliot
1.02 - Jusso Valimaki
1.02 - Ivan Provorov (age 17!)
1.00 - Morgan Rielly (age 17!)

Pretty good list of players. Smith has the highest PPG as a U18 player since the lockout and is currently leading all U19 players since the lockout in PPG as well.

But according to some he's just doing what he should be doing so far?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

"doing what he should be doing thus far"

so he "should" be the best offensive DMan in the WHL in 15-20 years?

cg98

Oct 10, 2017

He plays nothing like DeAngelo.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
(Don Cherry Voice) Good Lloydminster boy.
I like most had him just outside the pack of Bouchard, Dobson, Boqvist and Hughes.
Now he is very much with them. 2018 is looking like a fantastic draft for dmen.

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017

Wasn't his scoring numbers in the WHL last season the best by a 17-year defenseman in over 15 years?

Not saying what he's doing isn't impressive, I very like him as a prospect. But knowing he basically did that last year, the expectations of him doing this this year are legit expectations, hence "doing what he should be doing thus far".

bishop12

Ovyously
Dec 1, 2006
(Don Cherry Voice) Good Lloydminster boy.
I like most had him just outside the pack of Bouchard, Dobson, Boqvist and Hughes.
Now he is very much with them. 2018 is looking like a fantastic draft for dmen.
Ty Smith > Boqvist

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
He plays nothing like DeAngelo.

You mean the DeAngelo in the NHL? Of course he's going to look different than Smith who is playing in the WHL.

Would you prefer if I said Ryan Ellis, who lit up the OHL as well? Both Ellis and DeAngelos are comparables. They're all 5'10-5'11 defenseman who 'were the best offensive defenseman of the OHL in the last 15-20 years' drafted in the mid 1st.

My point is that he was drafted because he's an offensive defenseman who should be putting up tons of point in the CHL. There was never going to be any concern about putting up numbers in the CHL. The question mark will be how his game translates to the pro level. Both DeAngelo and Ellis had a hard transition and both were considered busts as some point - they are both doing fine now.

I'm really confused why people think comparing Ty Smith to what his peers did in the CHL is some sort of insult.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

The Colonel

Jul 7, 2008
TSN just released their Top 4 under 24 team by team list.

They rather shaded Ty Smith. Raised questions about how his game will translate. Rated him below Alexeyev among others.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Actually he's a 2-way dman who is used in every situation who also wears the "C" aka isn't a head case(a big reason why Deangelo isn't a every game player as well as god awful defensive play). What he's doing is tremendous and why he should've been a top 10 pick(top 5 for me)

Its clear nobody in this thread has watched DeAngelo this season.

Reactions: Justin17

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
You mean the DeAngelo in the NHL? Of course he's going to look different than Smith who is playing in the WHL.

Would you prefer if I said Ryan Ellis, who lit up the OHL as well? Both Ellis and DeAngelos are comparables. They're all 5'10-5'11 defenseman who 'were the best offensive defenseman of the OHL in the last 15-20 years' drafted in the mid 1st.

My point is that he was drafted because he's an offensive defenseman who should be putting up tons of point in the CHL. There was never going to be any concern about putting up numbers in the CHL. The question mark will be how his game translates to the pro level. Both DeAngelo and Ellis had a hard transition and both were considered busts as some point - they are both doing fine now.

I'm really confused why people think comparing Ty Smith to what his peers did in the CHL is some sort of insult.
Watching Smith in the preseason made it painfully obvious his game will translate to the big leagues. I feel pretty comfortable in saying that he is already one of the top 4 or 5 dmen in the organization.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada

They rather shaded Ty Smith. Raised questions about how his game will translate. Rated him below Alexeyev among others.
Alexeyev and Smith are very close right now, hard to distinguish. I do give Alexeyev the edge offensively right now in part to his goal scoring which has boosted tremendously, but Smith has done a great job so far setting up and is nothing to sneeze at either. Smith isn’t one to ‘graze over’

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey

Well, that’s just dumb. As an avid WHL fan, Alexeyev has had a surprising season, but his puck skills/hockey IQ/skating are all notably inferior to Smith’s. Obviously I haven’t watched every game, but neither has whatever analyst came up with this brilliant opinion.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Well, that’s just dumb. As an avid WHL fan, Alexeyev has had a surprising season, but his puck skills/hockey IQ/skating are all notably inferior to Smith’s. Obviously I haven’t watched every game, but neither has whatever analyst came up with this brilliant opinion.
Smith is just a beauty to watch, he makes so much stuff look effortless, going to be a steal at 17.

Very good group of D coming from this draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad