LD Troy Murray - Kootenay Ice, WHL (2015 undrafted)

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
I'm really starting to like this guy as a prospect. Early in the year he was solid, if unspectacular. But, with each Kootenay game I see he really looks better and better. He's terrific in his own zone making the real solid, simple plays, has an active intelligent use of his stick and is starting to use his frame (6'1, 174 lbs) to box out opposing forwards. Lately, he's started to skate the puck confidently out of his own zone and made an absolutely dynamite breakaway pass tonight that lead to a penalty shot.

He's the brother of Columbus' Ryan Murray and I really think he's one to watch for the future. I know Kootenay took some flack for picking him high, saw some folks suggest he was only chosen in the 1st round because of his bloodlines, but he looks like a player to me.

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
He is alright. Good skater, smart player that keeps it simple. But has work to do in pretty much every area (like every 16 year-old). Very late bday, will be one of the youngest in the 2015 draft class. Has some good potential as a steady defensive dman with a good first pass. Played a heck of a game tonight.

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
He is alright. Good skater, smart player that keeps it simple. But has work to do in pretty much every area (like every 16 year-old). Very late bday, will be one of the youngest in the 2015 draft class. Has some good potential as a steady defensive dman with a good first pass. Played a heck of a game tonight.

I'd noticed him before tonight, but tonight was the game that definitely made me go "Okay, we might have something here."

One thing I really notice about him is he is very rarely beaten clean (Noticed it once late in the 3rd tonight), and he really limits his turnovers. He's not going to blow anyone away unless you're watching for him, but once you focus on him he really opens your eyes.

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
I'd noticed him before tonight, but tonight was the game that definitely made me go "Okay, we might have something here."

One thing I really notice about him is he is very rarely beaten clean (Noticed it once late in the 3rd tonight), and he really limits his turnovers. He's not going to blow anyone away unless you're watching for him, but once you focus on him he really opens your eyes.

Ya I'm kind of on the same page. I think there are some defenseman in the 15 class with a bit more upside (guys like Juulsen, Reddekopp), but Murray's hockey sense has always been among the best. Showed tonight he can play big minutes against premier competition and be effective. He isn't the greatest stick handler, i'd like to see him have a bit more of a presence in his own zone, but there is a lot to like so far.

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
I like what little I've seen of Juulsen a lot. Reddekopp I haven't seen a ton of. Joe Gatenby of Kelowna is another I could see developing into a real solid player for 2015. He's been pretty good in his own zone on the 3rd pairing, will need to move into the Top 4 next year for Kelowna and he's shown some nice passing lately that makes me think he could do it, plus he's got Dan Lambert coaching him which helps.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Bumped.

One of the biggest risers on my recent November rankings. Big fan, especially considering how young he is compared to some others in the class.

18 (NR) – Troy Murray – D – Kootenay Ice – The younger brother of Ryan Murray won’t wow you in many ways, but he’s just a solid, composed blueliner who does a lot of little things well. He’s a very smooth skater with plenty of power in his edges. He reads the play well, has nice gaps and can play physical when he needs to. Has shown the ability to handle more minutes than most players his age and has proven capable of playing in a variety of roles from night to night.

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.ca/2014/11/2015-nhl-draft-rankings-second-edition.html

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
4886-514Fr.jpg

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Looks like a 5th rounder, but I say he goes 3rd round to a team like Arizona.

Is Murray a RHD? We need to restock our blue line with good upside prospects, but with an emphasis on righties. Only rightie with Top 4 upside we have in the system is Mayo. Bloodlines should be a factor with GMDM.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Is Murray a RHD? We need to restock our blue line with good upside prospects, but with an emphasis on righties. Only rightie with Top 4 upside we have in the system is Mayo. Bloodlines should be a factor with GMDM.

He's a lefty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad