LD Thomas Chabot - Saint John Sea Dogs, QMJHL (2015, 18th, OTT)

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Kid's a very good skater, very skilled with the puck. Liked him quite a bit coming out of midget hockey. Had a good game in front of a bunch of scouts tonight in Québec despite being -3. Should be a good kid to follow for the next few years.

thething

Jul 28, 2014
His calmness with the puck has really impressed me whenever I've watched him.

He has a lot of offensive potential. Has a good slap shot and very good vision. Has more upside than Zboril from the games I have seen of the two.

He definitely needs to get stronger and work on his defensive awareness/positioning. I also think he doesn't have the greatest backward skating.

Reactions: ds4130

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
One of my favorite players in the draft. I think he could be a riser. Great skater, good offensive skills, and good frame to work with, just needs to get stronger. Defensive game needs work but he has the tools to work with.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Watching the Top Prospects game again focusing on the D and he has jumped out at me.

His poise with the puck and ability to make a play is incredible. He is just so calm under pressure, is smart, big and can really skate. He is going to be a very good player in the NHL with those attributes. He seems like one of those players who goes far higher then expected, easily a first rounder for me.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
St. John is a very interesting team for this upcoming draft, with 4-5 guys slated to go top 3 rounds.

And Luke Green should be a high pick next year, St. John is going to have a very strong team in the next couple of years.

Big fan of Chabot, I think he could rise into the top 15. Has all the tools to be a solid top 4 guy in the NHL.

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
He had an awful turnover in his own zone on the PP in today's game that directly lead to a Sweden SHG.

I still really like his skillset though. Very good skater and uses it to jump up in the play. Has showed off a couple nice dekes the past couple of games.

arsmaster*

I find him incredibly soft. Talented for sure, but I wonder how he'd handle large physical forwards. Every time I've seen him against that type of player he seemingly wilts.

Oct 18, 2011
Thomas Chabot is very underrated

He is one of my favorite players from the 2015 draft, His talent jumps off the screen, really can't believe he fell to 18

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Meh, Will be happy if he becomes a top 4.

At top 4 defenseman is "Meh"? Plenty of Dmen taken higher than 18 never play even 50 games in the NHL. Chabot could very easily become the best defenseman from this draft. He certainly has the skating, puck skills and hockey IQ to become a hybrid of Klingberg/Shattenkirk... Which certainly isn't meh.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
He's got a lot to fall back on. He's got good size, he's a great skater, good skill, and fairly smart. Needs to fill out and improve in his own zone, but there's a lot to work with. I think you'll see a pretty big jump in his production this year. Had as many ES points as Provorov this year.

LethalCookie

Mar 23, 2015
Guelph
One of my favourite prospects from the draft. Reminds me a lot of TJ Brodie, and I realistically think that's his ceiling. Hope he turns out, Sens fans should be very happy.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Looks promising ,but he is going to take some time probably 2 to 3 years

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Really wanted him on the Jets. He was my 4th ranked D man in this draft and his skating and style remind me allot of Klingberg. I think patience will be needed but he has a great ceiling IMO.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
At top 4 defenseman is "Meh"? Plenty of Dmen taken higher than 18 never play even 50 games in the NHL. Chabot could very easily become the best defenseman from this draft. He certainly has the skating, puck skills and hockey IQ to become a hybrid of Klingberg/Shattenkirk... Which certainly isn't meh.

"Very easily become the best defenseman from this draft"? I think your definition of "very easily" is quite a ways off. If Chabot manages to be better than any one of Hanifin, Provorov, or Werenski, that's quite an accomplishment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad