LD Stephen Desrocher - Oshawa Generals, OHL (2015, 155th, TOR)

sportznut

Jan 5, 2009
Stephen Desrocher defense for Oshawa Generals (OHL).. last I seen he was ranked 145th in the central scouting. I would have to believe that his stock is rising like a bullet. Personally, I think you will see him drafted in a spot much higher than his ranking because teams will not risk the wait. He has all the tools to be a solid NHL defender. This guy is an easy second rounder. His talent has just busted wide open in the last month so scouts probably could not get a full read on him. But I am sure they are watching closely during the playoffs where he has stepped up his game and has become one the Generals prominent defenseman. Your thoughts?

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Can anyone give a scouting report on this player? Went to 155 to the leafs. He put up around .5ppg in the post season.

From nki's thread:

Stephen Desrocher

Offensive zone ability: C+
Offensive transition ability: B-
Puck movement and possession retention: B-
Defensive transition ability: B
Defensive zone ability: B

Defense: positional
Offense: cerebral

Keywords, unique identity traits: a pro-sized 6'4 defenseman with decent mobility, gains inside body position, active long stick and tracks play decently, can make the first pass and has a decent point shot
Room for improvement: probably will never be confused for someone who is very skilled with the puck, is already 19 years old and had a really sharp development trajectory, needs to build on that and not fall-off back into mediocrity

Full analysis:
Stephen Desrocher is a pro-sized 6'4 200lbs defenseman. He is a year older (turned 19 in January), that said he had a sharp upwards development trajectory throughout the year to the point that he is now one of the top defensemen playing for Oshawa in Memorial Cup. Has decent mobility with his size. The reads are all there in terms of coverage, positional sense. Reads well what his partner is doing, how a particular play is developing and where he has to be. Good at gaining inside body position against the opposition, can be a factor on the wall and in front of the net. Controls the middle of the ice well both in his own zone, as well as in defensive transition. Long active stick in terms of covering lanes and protecting space, but also pokechecks well. Competes well. Mobile enough that he can contribute on puck-retrievals off dump-ins and even protects the puck decently well when skating with it. Has a decent shot from the point.

In the offensive zone, Desrocher can be a shot threat off the point. Capable enough that he can move the puck around in a basic manner. Has the size to be a factor up the wall. Mobility is good enough that he can keep up with turnovers and establish position to defend on-coming rushes.

Through transition, despite being a pretty big guy he does show some ability in skating with the puck and handling it. Pretty smart and accurate passer, but won't neceessarily try anything too flashy. Sometimes joins the rush if the play is there, but won't force it. I do think the first few steps and the pace at which he executes in tight spaces could be slightly faster, but that will likely come as he grows even more comfortable with his body.

In defensive transition he has decent mobility for his size. I like his reads, understands how to control the middle of the ice, active stick and gap control. Hard to beat wide, and he has a good pokecheck. Mobility is good enough that he can do puck-retrievals on dump-ins and not get pinned down, beat to the puck, or lose possession.

In his own zone, he competes well and will look to gain inside body position. Hard to beat physically and can be a factor on the wall and around the net. Active stick and good reach that covers lanes. Reads the play well, will re-adjust coverage as play is developing and reads what his partner or linemates are doing. Rarely caught in no-man's land positionally.

Overall, I like Desrocher quite a bit. He is a 19 year old so that will probably impact his draft status a bit. But he has really developed into a projectable prospect as the season went on. I quite like him as a defensive defenseman that can maybe contribute even offensively a little bit. Shows some outlines of even having two-way ability. Pro-size, skating is decent, good positional player, defends the middle of ice, physically engaging, active long stick and pokecheck ability. Can move the puck a bit and has a decent point shot. Could log PK minutes.

Development focus: I'd say for Desrocher he needs to build on this season's development and keep his trajectory facing firmly upwards. I think there's probably more to be done with physical fitness and the pace at which he executes in tight spaces in moving the puck.

Projection: If his development trajectory continues, I don't think it would be out of question that Desrocher could play 3rd pairing NHL minutes as a two-way/defensive defenseman with size, mobility, decent puck-decisions, point shot, active defensive stick and solid positional sense, along with a bit of physicality. He is already 19 and came relatively out of nowhere, so there's probably some caution needed there, but if the steepness of his trajectory continues I would think that his potential might be even higher than 3rd pairing. Could log PK minutes.

From eliteprospects:

Reliable defender that can eat up minutes due to his smart play in his own end and his strength along the boards. Uses his size to his advantage and protects the puck well. Knows his game inside and out; he knows what he can and can't do. In this, he knows how to push his limits and break down boundaries. What he can work on would be quicker decision making and quickness through the neutral zone. All-in-all, a well-rounded defenceman who has the tools and the work ethic to be successful moving forward. (Curtis Joe, EP 2015)

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Any updates on him? How has he played this year? Chances he plays for the marries next year or eventually for the leafs?

RoR21

May 24, 2011
Any updates on him? How has he played this year? Chances he plays for the marries next year or eventually for the leafs?

I've seen him a couple times with Oshawa and with Kingston. He's got good size and decent feet. Comfortable on both PP and PK. I'd say he could probably step into the AHL next year but there are also better players that get sent back for 20 year old seasons. He's a 5/6 guy at peak potential with the ability to play special teams and eat a few minutes from the top 4 guys if they need time off or aren't PK/PP players or what not.

Also should be noted that while he's a LHS he's playing a lot of RD with McKeown the only RS on that D. Recently he's been paired up with 16 year old Jacob Paquette on the second pairing and has really helped his development.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
I wouldn't be too surprised if he progresses to the Marlies, as they're probably going to look a little thin on D with a few becoming waiver ineligible.

37 others

Apr 18, 2017
He has yet to be signed by the Leafs, but from what I've read it sounds like he's incredibely well-rounded good prospect defensemen. He's steadily increased his production in the O (23p in 2014-15, 46 in 15-16, 51 in 16-17).

Is there a chance that the Leafs let him to go FA?

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
He has yet to be signed by the Leafs, but from what I've read it sounds like he's incredibely well-rounded good prospect defensemen. He's steadily increased his production in the O (23p in 2014-15, 46 in 15-16, 51 in 16-17).

Is there a chance that the Leafs let him to go FA?

Looking at the Marlies blue line, I'd guess they sign him and he joins the Marlies next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad