LD Stepan Falkovsky (2016, 186th, CGY; UFA signed by LAK)

AstoriaIceNinja

Feb 29, 2016
Astoria, NY (USA)
This is a guy I had my eye on last season (I drafted him in the 7th round of my keeper league on a whim), and that attention seems to be merited in the midst of a pretty good first season in the OHL as an 18/19 year old. Didn’t see a thread on him and wanted to start off my posting with a bang, so here it is.

HockeyDB: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=187411
EliteProspects: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=248808

An overager born December 18, 1996 and in his second year of eligibility, Falkovsky definitely stands out at 6’7” and 224 pounds (that’s 201 cm and 102 kilos, for all you metric-system folks). One source even put him at 6’9”, but this may have included skates and seems largely unrealistic. He was ranked 44th among EU skaters prior to 2015 draft, but wasn’t selected despite 11 points in 22 MHL games for Yunost Minsk.

Currently tied with overager Evan de Haan for Ottawa’s leading scoring d-man; through 50 games, he has 9 goals, 21 assists, and 30 points (for a scoring rate of 0.6 ppg, more on that later). He plays lots of minutes and seems to shut down the opposition effectively; say what you will about the virtues or lack thereof concerning plus/minus as a meaningful stat, Falkovsky’s +15 rating is best on team and 30 better than de Haan (who, again, has as many points this season as Falkovsky does).

Stepan seems to have resolved some of the issues that caused him to be undrafted last year (perhaps uncertainty over his willingness to migrate to North America, but mostly just a lack of information since he played in an under-scouted league/region). He probably got helped as well by Belarus’ participation in the U20 WJC; although the Belarus team was generally overmatched and got relegated as a result, Falkovsky put up two points (one goal and one assist both in one game against their weakest opponent, but it’s hard to be too harsh on him given that his team got crushed and scored very few goals as a whole).

Below I’ve posted some links with summaries or quotations on Falkovsky when it’s short enough to be convenient. Different sources may contradict each other's judgments, of course, so make of that what you will. And yes, I paid particular attention to the good aspects of his game at the expense of highlighting flaws.

Hockey Prospectus Profile (Linked Here)
  • Exceptional mobility and agility, has the balance and control to keep pace with most opposing players
  • Has a big, booming point shot, but tends to just make the safe play of putting a shot on net (wrist shot resembles a really fast pass)
  • Shines in using his stick to dispossess opponents, defensive leader who doesn’t have to rely on his size and strength (this prowess makes him harder to beat)
  • Has quick hands, good at handling the puck, no other 67’s players can move the puck out of his own zone like Falkovsky does (strong offensive skill set)
  • Arguably best asset is his outlet pass, unique ability to make stretch passes with his backhand
  • Excellent positioning and gap control, tens to play low-risk/low-reward game
  • Strong physicality, tends to intimidate opponents and force them to make bad decisions
  • Has grown leaps and bounds in first OHL season, burgeoning confidence with the puck with every game
  • Two way defender whose stock should be boosted by Chara Effect (that is, the often-futile hope that someone will be the next Chara), suggested as high as 2nd/3rd round pick

USA Today (Linked Here)

"The biggest — and we do mean biggest — story out of the OHL this past month has been the play of human condor Stepan Falkovsky (seven goals, 17 points). The Ottawa 67s’ imported defenseman is 6-7, 225 pounds, and has some terrific offensive skills that he started putting to good use in November after an early adjustment period to North America."

"The Belarus native moves stunningly well for such a behemoth, and is hyper aggressive at the offensive end, where he’s constantly pushing the attack and forcing the play at the blue line. He moves down off the point and unleashes rocket wristers from the slot, or he can just blow cannon blasts by netminders from the point. The downside is that he turns 19 later this month and has barely a nodding acquaintance with his own defensive zone. He’s also not a natural killer in terms of using his physical presence around the crease."

Ottawa Citizen (Linked Here)

Listed at 6-7 and looking more like 6-9, Stepan Falkovsky is the biggest thing on Ottawa ice since Zdeno Chara last patrolled the blue-line for the Ottawa Senators...The door to the 67’s room is a full cinder block too low for the hulking rearguard to walk through, meaning he has to duck noticeably every time. And that’s in bare feet. On skates, he almost has to take a knee...[quote from 67’s coach Jeff Brown]: ‘Problem is, he’s grown maybe four or five inches in the last six months and he’s much taller than when we committed to him. It may take some time for him to get comfortable.’”

I may try to make some comparables based on statistics later, but this seems like a decent start. Tentatively I think a 3rd or 4th round pick would be the upper limit of any expectation for Falkovsky, but given his advanced age a 5th or 6th rounder could be just as likely. Seems worth a pick or at least a camp invite to me as a project with at least one more year of junior before going to the pros, despite the NHL being infamously risk-averse in the draft for reasons that seemingly defy all statistical analysis.

Would appreciate any further information from anyone else who is interested.

Last edited:

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Took him in a mock last year in the 7th round as well, had never seen him play though. Was surprised to his name come up this year in the OHL, looks like a sure bet to get drafted this time around. I've seen him in some mocks go as high as the 3rd round, but I don't think he'll go that high come draft day. As an overager I see him going in the 5th-6th round, but you never know when a team is going to take a risk on a giant.

AstoriaIceNinja

Feb 29, 2016
Astoria, NY (USA)
Obviously Falkovsky’s size makes direct comparisons difficult without mentioning a certain Boston Bruins captain, but to avoid being unfair to him as a 19 year old prospect I think it would be best to avoid the inevitable Chara likeness as long as possible (I kind of already did it, but I won’t include Chara’s junior stats here for this reason). So I looked at the 18-19 year old seasons for a few drafted defensemen with similar size who spent that season in a CHL junior league.

For the basis of reference, Falkovsky’s stats from HockeyDB as of March 1, 2016 are as follows:

51 games, 9 goals, 21 assists (30 points), 31 PIM, +14 (Scoring rate = 0.59 ppg)

Because of the mitigating factor of height, I included Jarred Tinordi even though he is only 6’6†(hah, I say “only†when here I am at 5’11â€) to broaden the sample size. So concerns about differences in style of play may be well-grounded. All other stats are only updated up to March 1 as well if they are for this season.

Chris Martenet (London Knights, OHL): Drafted 4th round, 104th overall by Dallas in 2015
2015-2016 Stats: 58 games, 3 goals, 9 assists (12 points), 72 PIM, +41 (Scoring Rate = 0.21 ppg)

Samuel Morin (Gatineau Olympiques, QMJHL): Drafted 11th overall by Philadelphia in 2013
2013-2014 Stats: 54 games, 7 goals, 24 assists (31 points), 121 PIM, +12 (Scoring Rate = 0.57 ppg), also 8 points in 11 playoff games

Jamie Oleksiak (Saginaw Spirit, OHL): Drafted 14th overall by Dallas in 2011
2011-2012 Stats: 31 games, 6 goals, 5 assists (11 points), 24 PIM, +4 (Scoring Rate = 0.35 ppg)

Jarred Tinordi (London Knights, OHL): Drafted 22nd overall by Montreal in 2010
2010-2011 Stats: 63 games, 1 goal, 13 assists (14 points), 140, -8 (Scoring Rate = 0.22 ppg)

Tyler Myers (Kelowna Rockets, WHL): Drafted 12th overall by Buffalo in 2008
58 games, 9 goals, 33 assists (42 points), 105 PIM, +31 (Scoring Rate = 0.72 ppg), also 20 points in 22 playoff games

Other defensemen with that kind of size who got picked but didn’t play in major junior (on account of being Russian pros) are Nikita Tryamkin (3rd round, 66th overall by Canucks in 2014) and Ziyat Paigin (7th round, 209th overall by Oilers in 2015). I also picked up both of these guys; my hard-on for giant Russians is showing.

But back to the comparisons. Clearly Falkovsky has more offensive production than, say, a Martenet or Tinordi does, but less than the Myers or playoffs-Morin. Were Ottawa to make the post-season, and a quick glance at today’s OHL standings suggest it’s still possible unless I am missing something, it could be a chance for him to make some more noise even though I would guess they would be a one-and-done playoff team, as opposed to Myers who got a super-deep playoff run. This would help his draft stock a bit, but probably not enough to really change where he will go from the 5th or 6th round area suggested here.

I don’t think it would be unfair in hindsight to say Oleksiak and Tinordi were something of reaches in the first round (this is the Chara Effect I alluded to earlier at work), and Falkovsky has the added disadvantage of being evaluated for the draft as an overager. All of these things working against him will probably keep him from going before round 3 (although, as previous posters and I have indicated, you never know when someone will roll the dice).

Flipping the script, Falkovsky’s PIM totals are vastly lower than anyone else’s on the list. As far as I know the guy is not going to be winning any boxing matches; I’ve only seen one fight video of him and he frankly got bodied by Niagara’s Nick Pastorious. This is what I was referring to by differences in style of play; perhaps Falkovsky is a finesse defender who doesn’t draw many minor penalties as a opposed to a bruiser style of player. This conclusion is supported by most of his scouting reports, which testify that he primarily relies on good positioning and stick-checking rather than physical force. Furthermore, how would the other players’ point totals be affected if they didn’t spend so much time in the sin bin? I don’t know enough to provide answers on that front.

Lastly, Falkovsky has the distinction of being the only player on this list who is putting up these stats as a CHL rookie. Further adjustment to North America both on and off the ice could help him quite a bit. For instance, even after several months in the OHL it was suggested that he still didn’t speak English particularly well, only Russian (this isn’t a typo, Russian is spoken at home by approximately 70% of Belarusian households). Given the presence of other Russian speakers like Lazarev, Tyanulin, and now Chmelevski on Ottawa’s squad, it may not be of huge significance right now, but it would definitely make him more attractive as a pro prospect to be more proficient in English. Not a knock on him, just acknowledging the NHL’s xenophobia for what it is. Presumably he will be with Ottawa again next season before transitioning to the pros, so he has time to progress in that area; no better way to learn a foreign language than to be immersed by it.

OK, I’m done vomiting words for the moment.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
This is an amazing writeup for not so amazing prospect. His size makes him look more appealing than he actually is. Seen him playing in couple of games against all age Latvian U teams, and he never was a standout of any sorts. All that said maybe he is more effecient on small ice.

Also Yunost Minsk has no affiliation with Dinamo Minsk organization of KHL.

AstoriaIceNinja

Feb 29, 2016
Astoria, NY (USA)
This is an amazing writeup for not so amazing prospect. His size makes him look more appealing than he actually is. Seen him playing in couple of games against all age Latvian U teams, and he never was a standout of any sorts. All that said maybe he is more effecient on small ice.

Also Yunost Minsk has no affiliation with Dinamo Minsk organization of KHL.

Apologies, was not aware of this. My mind jumped to that conclusion given the typical European model of clubs maintaining their own developmental systems within the umbrella of the same organization. I will update the post accordingly shortly (and done!).

Thank you for the praise, though. I agree that he's rather marginal at the moment, but is still at the point where he is intriguing based on the tools he has shown to this point in his career.

How is his skating though? Size wont matter if he can't keep up with the competition.

This Ottawa 67's fan blog post had the following regarding his skating:

"He’s a fairly solid skater for a huge 18-year old. By contrast, he’s a much better skater than 6’6 Tyler Hill when he was with the 67’s. He could be a big threat offensively here if he uses his speed and size properly...As solid as his skating is, he gets a bit off-balance when receiving or delivering checks."

So not terrible, I'd say, especially when combined with the previous reviews saying how good his mobility was overall. The reference to Tyler Hill is lost on me, Euro-American that I am, but I included it in the hopes that someone more familiar with that situation could comment. It could be damning with faint praise, I suppose.

As per the Hockey Prospectus link I provided in the OP:

"This Belarusian takes longer than most to reach full speed. Once he has reached maximum throttle is he has good speed. When down low behind the net or in the corners, Falkovsky is able to skate laterally in order to maintain an ideal body position keeping himself between puck handler and the net."

I am tempted to also bring up the cliche (curse my work keyboard for not being on International setting and letting me add accents) of taller prospects needing to grow out of the awkward phase before they are really able to perform at peak levels, assuming they ever reach that point at all. Given the foundation he seems to have in place, I'd be willing to give the kid the benefit of the doubt and assume that with some time and a good skating coach, he could improve further.

Last edited:

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
He wasn't undrafted because of a perceived unwillingness to go to north America he was undrafted among other reasons because he didn't score at all in the WJC-D1A when he was already 1 year overage. Drafting overagers is complicated because you have to measure his growth against a normal expected growth curve. The stat comparisons don't really matter you can always find enforcers drafted who have lower stats. He probably will get drafted, he's listed 79th for the midterm rankings but there are a lot of people who could be drafted and won't be if the only determining factor was news articles.

AstoriaIceNinja

Feb 29, 2016
Astoria, NY (USA)
He wasn't undrafted because of a perceived unwillingness to go to north America he was undrafted among other reasons because he didn't score at all in the WJC-D1A when he was already 1 year overage. Drafting overagers is complicated because you have to measure his growth against a normal expected growth curve. The stat comparisons don't really matter you can always find enforcers drafted who have lower stats. He probably will get drafted, he's listed 79th for the midterm rankings but there are a lot of people who could be drafted and won't be if the only determining factor was news articles.

EP says the D1A tournament you are referencing was a U20 event, for which he was 18 at the time as a late '96 and first-time draft eligible player (for reference, he's only about two weeks older than 2015 1st rounder Yevgeni Svechnikov). Failing to score could be attributed to a multitude of factors, especially with defensemen who can be constrained by their role as much as by ice time. If the coach sticks a player in the back and tells him his job is to defend first and never get up the ice, never play on power play, and generally never get close to goal, almost no one would put up points with those constraints. Chad Krys didn't have any points in the U20 WJC this year, but no one in their right mind would say that Chad Krys doesn't have offensive skills or isn't a talented player. Circumstances dictate production, especially for d-men.

By contrast, Falkovsky scored 5 points in as many games in the U18 event as a 17 year old, which I think is a more appropriate record of what he can bring as an offensive player. Sure, the level of competition may not have been high, but Belarus isn't exactly a hotbed of hockey talent either. It's more likely a case of someone putting him in a situation where he could prove himself and he delivered, just like what's happening right now in Ottawa.

As for why someone goes undrafted, I don't think it can be painted in such absolute terms as one issue. The simple fact is the NHL in most cases doesn't invest significant resources in scouting Europe. It's an issue of ROI and locus of control; why would a team invest more money to send their scout to Russia/Sweden/Finland etc. (let alone Belarus) when they can get a player much more accessible to them from North America and not have to compete with the European pro leagues for the player's services? This is why the NHL looks favorably on Europeans coming to North America to play major junior despite very little evidence suggesting that it's actually beneficial for their development to do so, and drafts only the most hyped and internationally exposed European-trained players (an Ovi/Malkin, Puljujarvi/Laine, etc.) with top picks. I won't go so far as to say it's xenophobia, although it would be foolish to discount that notion entirely. It's just a business decision.

Last edited:

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Prospect eligible for the 2016 NHL Entry Draft

Ranked #91 by NHL Central Scouting (NA Skaters)

AstoriaIceNinja

Feb 29, 2016
Astoria, NY (USA)
Some more write-ups for Falkovsky. I've included the relevant quotes from his EP profile:

A gigantic two-way defenceman that displays good offensive and defensive instincts. Quicker decision making is something he will have to work on, but he has already shown progress as he develops into a reliable two-way player. Excellent shot and passing ability in the offensive end. Becoming more physical and can create separation decisively. Proactive defensively and shows good instincts when moving the puck out. All-in-all, a poised and reliable defenceman that has the potential to develop into a strong, physical two-way player. (Curtis Joe, EP 2015)

Also got profiled by Too Many Men on the Site, they quoted the same passage from EP I just did. Link eludes me right now.

Last edited:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I took him with the Capitals 4th rounder in HFOil's mock draft. He's got all the tools. Whether he puts them together, who knows, but someone will definitely draft him.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Just thought I would update the thread he did get drafted 7th round #186 overall by the flames.

Anthems

Aug 23, 2011
Vancouver
Why is he playing in the ECHL this year? Seems like it is hurting his development. I would have preferred he spend another year in the OHL.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Why is he playing in the ECHL this year? Seems like it is hurting his development. I would have preferred he spend another year in the OHL.

Ottawa, or any other CHL team for that matter, would have to burn both an over aged spot, and an import spot.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
10 goals, 15 points in 8 games for Adirondack in the ECHL per sureLoss on calgarypuck

He has 15g, 9a, 24pts in 38 games total but yes 10g, 15pts in last 8 games , pretty crazy recent production. If this means he has figured out NA hockey, the pro game, and is starting to realize his massive potential, then watch out. May have a Falkovsky-Tryamkin matchup in a few years. :popcorn:

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I'm about ready to start a hype train haha.

Really though, I'd be pumped if he could be a bottom pairing guy in 4 years.

YourAverageFan*

Jan 19, 2016
His production lately has been absolutely insane. Mind you most of his goals come from the PP but it still shows the quality of his shot.

Definitely a very intriguing prospect. Monster of a player with fantastic offensive instincts. I likey

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
For a 20 year old with potential ECHL>OHL

This isn't really why he's in the ECHL, and I definitely don't really agree anyways. I mentioned a couple posts above he's in the ECHL because Ottawa didn't want to burn both a 20 year old spot and an import spot on one player.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
This isn't really why he's in the ECHL, and I definitely don't really agree anyways. I mentioned a couple posts above he's in the ECHL because Ottawa didn't want to burn both a 20 year old spot and an import spot on one player.
Developing in the ECHL definitely isn't better than developing in the OHL. The list of NHL regulars who have played a full season in the ECHL is very short and the list of NHL regulars who have played in the OHL in their draft+1 or even draft+2 if we consider he was drafted an overager is not short.

My question though, how did this arrangement work by the NHL-CHL agreement? If only Ottawa didn't want him could they not have put him on waivers or something? By what clause is he eligible to play in the ECHL, like is there some clause that says if your team doesn't want you and no one wants to pick you up on the waiver wire you can play in the ECHL?

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
He could go pro because this is his 20 year old season. If the Flames could have found a spot for him in the CHL anywhere that's probably where he'd be but no one wanted him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad