LD Slater Koekkoek (2012, 10th, TBL)

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Can someone tell me about him? I haven't heard much as to what type of player he is in regards to his strengths and weaknesses or a comparison to an NHLer. Any information would be fantastic.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
http://www.thescoutingreport.org/2012-nhl-midterm-top-60-rankings-130/

10. LD Slater Koekkoek – Peterborough (OHL)
DOB: Feb. 18/94 | Shoots: L | Height: 6.02 | Weight: 185lbs
It may be a surprise to most to see Koekkoek this high on our list, but for those who have seen him play a lot, you may be on the same page as us. Koekkoek has a tremendous package of size, skill, and potential which could be a home-run in a few years. Currently out for the season with a torn labrum, Koekkoek was playing 30+ minutes a night with the Petes before the injury. Koekkoek is a great skater and does a good job of moving the puck and making good decisions. His skating ability allows him to lead rushes and his offensive zone play is very good. He’s still in the progress of filling out his frame and improving his defensive zone play, but the skill-set that Koekkoek brings to the table cannot be overlooked as his ceiling could be as high as any of the defensemen in this draft.

http://dansallows.com/2012-nhl-draft-rankings-my-50-top-prospects/

17. D, Slater Koekkoek, 6-3, 190 lbs. Peterborough Petes, OHL. 26 GP, 5 G, 13 A, 18 PTS

The 6-foot-3, 190-pound Koekkoek is an offensive-minded, great skating blueliner, that can also take care of his own end as well. He played in all situations at the World Under-17’s, and potted a goal and 3 assists in 6 games for the gold medal-winning Team Ontario. In the year of the defensemen he is another that brings with him a tremendous amount of size and upside.

Cold Dome Beers

yaaaaaaahhhhoooooooo
Aug 29, 2011
Slater Koekkoek

I've heard conflicting scouting reports on this kid - some have him going just out of the top 10, while others are putting him at the bottom end of the 1st round, although I'm under the belief that he'll probably be taken in the 15-20 range.

Just wondering if anyone on here has personally seen him and has a good idea of his potential.

Plus his name is fun to say:yo:

Eyelanders

Jan 9, 2011
I haven´t seen him playing much, but when I saw he was solid. Big, physical defenseman who is a decent puck mover. Could improve his skating. Didn´t see huge potential, but could develop into a solid two-way defenseman. Too bad that he had the injury, would have liked to see him playing more.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
I've heard conflicting scouting reports on this kid - some have him going just out of the top 10, while others are putting him at the bottom end of the 1st round, although I'm under the belief that he'll probably be taken in the 15-20 range.

Just wondering if anyone on here has personally seen him and has a good idea of his potential.

Plus his name is fun to say:yo:

I have seen him several times. Looks big, mobile and tough enough, decent offensive skills that probably will not translate much to the NHL (I'm expecting 30 point potential). Unfortunately he was injured at just the juncture where you would expect his talent to start to show through.

Maybe a bit of a wild card. He had some great games, and stretches where he did not produce much. I think half his point total came in two games (he played 26 games), so you can see the talent (9 point in those two games) but also see the inconsistency (9 points over 24 other games).

I think your 15 - 20 is correct, maybe 15 - 25. I see him as a 3/4/5 D man at the next level. But I think he is a solid pick, not a lot of downside risk, other than how the injury affects his development.

I think he is also 3 years from an NHL job at a minimum. He needs to bulk up, and obviously the shoulder injury does not help that along. I figure he needed to add 40 - 50 pounds on his frame (he is strong, but lean) from his pre season weight, so that takes a bit.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I remember many people last season were comparing him and Morgan Rielly. Interesting to see how Koekkoek has fallen out of favour by many, while Rielly remains a potential top 8-10 pick despite missing nearly the entire season.

Riverboat Danglers

Apr 3, 2012
I have heard through the grapevines the Oilers are extremely high on this kid as well as a lot of other teams. I feel that he will go around the 20 range. From what Ive read this kid brings everything to the table and will be a dominating force if he can stay healthy. I hope he goes late first because then the Oilers should have a legit shot at getting him.

Cold Dome Beers

yaaaaaaahhhhoooooooo
Aug 29, 2011
I have heard through the grapevines the Oilers are extremely high on this kid as well as a lot of other teams. I feel that he will go around the 20 range. From what Ive read this kid brings everything to the table and will be a dominating force if he can stay healthy. I hope he goes late first because then the Oilers should have a legit shot at getting him.

As much as it'd be nice to have the kid, I really can't see him slipping that much (and the Oilers don't have any other first round picks).

the tribute

May 10, 2011
I work with his Aunt, and well he keeps mentioning to her that he would like to stay around home (near ottawa) but they are massive leaf fans.

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
Would love to see him picked up by Ottawa. Considering we'll be drafting in the 16-20 range it's a definite possibility. Cowen was injured during his draft year and he's working out well so far, Stone is also showing some promise after his shortened draft year.

JawandaPuck

Lost Art of Dynasty
Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver BC
jawandapuck.blogspot.com
From Grant McCagg TSN:
Won a Gold Medal with Team Ontario at the U-17's last winter, then represented Canada at the U-18's as an underage defenceman a few months later. Koekkoek is sidelined for the rest of the year after having season-ending shoulder surgery.
Strengths: Strong character traits and leadership qualities. A big, solid, steady mature player, solid work ethic. Can lug the puck out of trouble, tough to play against in his own zone, plays a spirited, physical style. Mature for his age.
Weaknesses: Tries to do too much at times, not a point producer or play creator, hockey sense is average in offensive end, has some issues when he's under pressure. Has some work to do on his backwards skating.
NHL upside: Has the intangibles to be a solid defensive defenceman in the pro game, a reliable fourth or fifth defenceman with leadership qualities and some grit.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Koekkoek is going to be a good to great NHL player. He played as a team mate with Rielly for two years at Notre Dame. The Midget team won the Telus cup and Slater was the tourney MVP.

Slater is a physical presence who will play big minutes in the NHL in all situations. He in all likelihood will top out as a top pairing D man. He has a very high compete level and a high offensive upside. His biggest strength is that he thinks the game better than most. He has all the tools that go into making a quality D man, tough, aggressive, smart and mean.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I have seen him several times. Looks big, mobile and tough enough, decent offensive skills that probably will not translate much to the NHL (I'm expecting 30 point potential). Unfortunately he was injured at just the juncture where you would expect his talent to start to show through.

Maybe a bit of a wild card. He had some great games, and stretches where he did not produce much. I think half his point total came in two games (he played 26 games), so you can see the talent (9 point in those two games) but also see the inconsistency (9 points over 24 other games).

I think your 15 - 20 is correct, maybe 15 - 25. I see him as a 3/4/5 D man at the next level. But I think he is a solid pick, not a lot of downside risk, other than how the injury affects his development.

I think he is also 3 years from an NHL job at a minimum. He needs to bulk up, and obviously the shoulder injury does not help that along. I figure he needed to add 40 - 50 pounds on his frame (he is strong, but lean) from his pre season weight, so that takes a bit.

He is not as lean as you think he is.....he was at 180 in his Midget Year if he put on 40 or 50 lbs from that weight he would be 220-230. He will play in the NHL in less than 3 years. He started this year at 195 and I can tell you that he was not likely sitting around doing nothing this season. I also think he has a lot of upside offensively, as he has a great shot and good puck skills, but more importantly confidence! I say he a 40 plus points D man once he gets settled.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Can someone tell me about him? I haven't heard much as to what type of player he is in regards to his strengths and weaknesses or a comparison to an NHLer. Any information would be fantastic.

I've enjoyed watching him a few times this year. Big, can move decently although not a strong point yet. Its maybe unfair for a comparison, but I see Ceci a lot and those two played together in the subway series. At this point he's definitely a notch below Ceci in refinement, offensive instincts and skating, but definitely is more physical. I hear he has a lot of potential to grow, although I'm not convinced of that given his early emphasis on hockey and very early Bday.

I think he can probably be a solid 2nd pairing D man at the next level, and defensively could be very good if he works on that part of his game as he has the aptitude for it I think, although not yet the knowledge.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad