LD Shai Buium - University of Denver, NCAA (2021, 36th, DET)

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I wouldn't be surprised if he went back to school to play one more year with his brother then sign with Detroit. Then again, I thought the same about Joey Anderson and he signed with remaining eligibility.

Edit: Anderson won a National Title with his brother in 2018, so perhaps easier to go out on top. So maybe some consideration with how far DU goes in the tournament. I remember some North Dakota guys having pro offers a few years back, but they made a group decision to return and try to win.

Last edited:

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
I wouldn't be surprised if he went back to school to play one more year with his brother then sign with Detroit. Then again, I thought the same about Joey Anderson and he signed with remaining eligibility.
I've pondered the (likely) slim possibility that Shai goes back to Denver for his senior year, and then signs with/rights traded to whoever drafts Zeev. Would be a helluva story if Anaheim drafts Zeev and Shai ends up there somehow.

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
I've pondered the (likely) slim possibility that Shai goes back to Denver for his senior year, and then signs with/rights traded to whoever drafts Zeev. Would be a helluva story if Anaheim drafts Zeev and Shai ends up there somehow.
Has there ever been a brother pairing in NHL history? Too bad they are both lefties.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Has there ever been a brother pairing in NHL history? Too bad they are both lefties.

I forget if Derian and Kevin Hatcher played as a pairing over a couple seasons in Dallas. After a quick scan, seemed like Kevin was paired more with Richard Matvichuk and Grant Ledyard. But found one instance with both Hatchers getting a point on a goal. Derian did play on his off side a lot during Dallas' peak years, so maybe that was still the case when they had both brothers?

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site

I forget if Derian and Kevin Hatcher played as a pairing over a couple seasons in Dallas. After a quick scan, seemed like Kevin was paired more with Richard Matvichuk and Grant Ledyard. But found one instance with both Hatchers getting a point on a goal. Derian did play on his off side a lot during Dallas' peak years, so maybe that was still the case when they had both brothers?
Interesting...

I'm surprised that the Staal or Hughes brothers wouldn't want to all play for the same team, or force the issue like the Sedin's. I guess they all want to prove themselves on their own but why fight against one another... it would make it easier on their parents at least.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
Could always go the other way too where Shia signs with Detroit and Zeev makes it clear he only wants to play with him brother, a la the Sedins.

Equally as crazy as assuming Shia will forego a contract and take risk of injury just to play with him brother.

BigBuck

Jan 26, 2012
Interesting...

I'm surprised that the Staal or Hughes brothers wouldn't want to all play for the same team, or force the issue like the Sedin's. I guess they all want to prove themselves on their own but why fight against one another... it would make it easier on their parents at least.
I don’t remember the Sedin’s forcing anything…Brian Burke wanted to make a big splash and keep them together…

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I don’t remember the Sedin’s forcing anything…Brian Burke wanted to make a big splash and keep them together…

The Sedin brats, er, twins got their way.

"This is what we wanted," said Daniel, the younger of the brothers from Sweden, after Vancouver general manager Brian Burke worked trades with Chicago, Tampa Bay and Atlanta to draft both Saturday.

Burke landed Daniel with the No. 2 overall pick and Henrik at No. 3, but he did not pull this off on his own. In fact, it's tough to tell who runs the draft these days, GMs or agents.

Rich Winter, who represents No. 1 overall selection Patrik Stefan, orchestrated Atlanta's choice of his client in part by deciding Stefan was not a good fit with the Lightning. And Mike Barnett, whose top client is Wayne Gretzky, was key in fulfilling the Sedins' desire to go to the same team.

Barnett was certain the Sedins would be Canucks, so he let them blow off an interview with Tampa Bay, a team that could have put a kink in Burke's plan had it wanted to. But the Lightning realized it would have too much of a headache if it chose players who clearly didn't want to be in Tampa Bay. And everyone went home happy, especially the agents.

I'd have to dig up some articles from the time, but the Sedins did make it publicly known that they preferred to stay together. Although by the time the draft rolled around, they relented a bit but put out the possibility that they'd stay in Sweden for a couple extra years if they were drafted on different NHL clubs.

I vaguely recall a pre-draft article where Tampa GM Rick Dudley complained about Barnett trying to manipulate the draft and that Tampa would conduct business as usual.

Reactions: BigBuck

Cake Eater

Jan 19, 2022
Could always go the other way too where Shia signs with Detroit and Zeev makes it clear he only wants to play with him brother, a la the Sedins.

Equally as crazy as assuming Shia will forego a contract and take risk of injury just to play with him brother.
Very few injuries to a 21 year old are going to scare teams away. Has to be something significantly worse than an ACL.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

I'd have to dig up some articles from the time, but the Sedins did make it publicly known that they preferred to stay together. Although by the time the draft rolled around, they relented a bit but put out the possibility that they'd stay in Sweden for a couple extra years if they were drafted on different NHL clubs.

I vaguely recall a pre-draft article where Tampa GM Rick Dudley complained about Barnett trying to manipulate the draft and that Tampa would conduct business as usual.
Can confirm that it was definitely a thing at the time.

Interesting...

Jordan forced a trade to go play with Eric, didn't he?

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Well, RIP all the dumb speculation people invented that he'd go the FA route just to play wherever his brother got drafted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad