LD Sebastian Aho (2017, 139th, NYI)

Pahlsson26

Oct 17, 2011
Didn't see a thread on him.

5'9", 160 lb. left-handed defender playing for Skelleftea's junior team. He is the top-rated European skater at the defense position on the CSS Rankings and made Sweden's Five Nations roster as a top four defenseman, yet missed both McKenzie's Top 50, and Craig's List (90 players). I'd like to know more for those who have seen him.

Cheers!

SurMartin

Jul 26, 2010
København/Skellefteå
He's actually mostly playing for Skellefteås SHL-team, (I'd advice you to remove "Allsvenskan" from the title if you want us fans to help you... ;)) 19-1-3-4

PMD. Great on the PP, good wristshot, makes very good stretch passes. Often goes pretty deep into the offensive zone but doesn't let it affect his defense.
Not sure what more to say. He's incredibly talented, the problem is that he still gets beaten on pure lack of size and strength. Guess that's why his teammate Marcus Pettersson (6'3") is ahead of him in many rankings even though Aho is more skilled.

And no, I'm pretty sure there's no relation to the Finnish '97-born forward with the same name even though the swedish Aho has a lot of finnish relatives.

Mrpm

Jan 4, 2013
He's actually mostly playing for Skellefteås SHL-team, (I'd advice you to remove "Allsvenskan" from the title if you want us fans to help you... ;)) 19-1-3-4

PMD. Great on the PP, good wristshot, makes very good stretch passes. Often goes pretty deep into the offensive zone but doesn't let it affect his defense.
Not sure what more to say. He's incredibly talented, the problem is that he still gets beaten on pure lack of size and strength. Guess that's why his teammate Marcus Pettersson (6'3") is ahead of him in many rankings even though Aho is more skilled.

And no, I'm pretty sure there's no relation to the Finnish '97-born forward with the same name even though the swedish Aho has a lot of finnish relatives.

Looks like Marcus Pettersson is ahead not only in the draft rankings but also in Skellefteå now aswell. He's the one playing in SHL now, while Aho is with J20.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
So Honka goes 14 and Aho doesn't even get drafted?

This is wrong. I thought he'd be a 3rd rounder at worst. I know he's small but teams have been picking smaller players with inferior talent in the last few rounds and picking a lot of players that do not have much talent.

XiTnA

Mar 28, 2014
how did this guy go undrafted? really surprising i thought hed go between mid 2nd round and mid 3rd for sure

Shyguy

Mar 20, 2010
Size-Queens the lot of them. This is not the end of his NHL journey. He'll spend the next season in SHL and show everybody how wrong they were not to pick him.

Mar 11, 2013
QC
Kase and Aho were ranked 8th and 9th amongst European skaters, Kase ended up getting picked by Anaheim 6th last and Aho went undrafted, weird to see them fall that hard.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
if Aho played in the CHL last season he would have been a 1st rounder or a 2nd rounder at worse

GeauxPreds

Jul 5, 2013
Viktor Arvidsson Part 2.

So the preds will pick him up next season in the 4th round after he puts up great numbers? :sarcasm:

Really surprised he didn't get picked this year. If he puts up big numbers next season he'll get picked up by someone, but with the depth 2015 has he might end up being a relatively late pick.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
This draft was so much about size I feel like. Many smaller guys who wasn't selected or was selected very late. Tkachev, Aho not selected. Spencer Watson taken with the very last pick of the draft etc. Weird.

SurMartin

Jul 26, 2010
København/Skellefteå
Skellefteå defencemen in this draft:
#38 Marcus Pettersson - 10 SHL games
#144 Anton Lindholm - 21 SHL games (1994)
#148 Andreas Söderberg - 0 SHL games
--- Sebastian Aho - 34 SHL games

Obviously Aho must have trouble playing against men. :sarcasm:

Not about who is best now, it's about who was the potential to be an effective NHLer.
Aho still trumps Pettersson in terms of potential. He's just way more skilled. (And I say that as a friend to MPs father...)

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land

Aho still trumps Pettersson in terms of potential. He's just way more skilled. (And I say that as a friend to MPs father...)

Where would you ranked Lundberg against all of them?

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City

Still can't believe he went undrafted. Was screaming for the habs to take him in the 7th.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad