LD Samuel Morin (2013, 11th, PHI)

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
He really impressed me at the U18s, and I was pretty skeptical of him heading into the the tournament. I didn't see enough of him to give a detailed scouting report, but he's obviously huge (6'6") and he skates very well. I wouldn't say he imposed his will at the U18s, but he was fairly physical and had a great stick. His puck skills and puck-moving ability is what surprised me the most. He's much better in those areas than I thought he'd be.

As far as the Tyler Myers comparison, I don't know. The more I see of comparisons, the more I start to value them less. What I will say is that I think a team could fall in love with him and take him in the top-15.

How Ya Drouin

12/08/13 GM GamesRIP
Apr 24, 2013
Ontario
I'm not sure about him, but I can tell you a lot of people over on the Canucks' board love him, some even more than Zadorov.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Only similarity to Tyler Myers other then height is his struggles with gaining/maintaining weight. He's still a stick.

With that said, another tall QMJHL D-man who's a stick was drafted in the fourth round last season. Basically if Loic Leduc is a fourth round talent Morin is easily 1st round/early 2nd round talent.

I haven't seen him 35 times but from what I've seen he still has to figure out how to use the size to his advantage a little more and when he finally gains some weight/strength he's going to be much scarier.

Highlander23

Mar 26, 2011
France
He skates exceptionally well for a young man his size, it didn't showed on the scoreboard yet, but i think with maturity he will get even better

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
He really impressed me at the U18s, and I was pretty skeptical of him heading into the the tournament. I didn't see enough of him to give a detailed scouting report, but he's obviously huge (6'6") and he skates very well. I wouldn't say he imposed his will at the U18s, but he was fairly physical and had a great stick. His puck skills and puck-moving ability is what surprised me the most. He's much better in those areas than I thought he'd be.

As far as the Tyler Myers comparison, I don't know. The more I see of comparisons, the more I start to value them less. What I will say is that I think a team could fall in love with him and take him in the top-15.

I for one can only go by "reports". But this 17 year old young man intrigues me. He may be a reach at 11. But if he is all that then I would not mind the Flyers picking him.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Intriguing prospect. I don't really see a flaw in his game, but then again he doesn't have any big strenght either other than being big. He does skate well for a guy his size, but so does Keith Aulie and he's nothing special. Morin doesn't have much offensive potential imo, but he could become a solid shut-down guy. Not a prospect I would take in the first round... but he's a wildcard. We'll see.

Such a deep year for the Q...

Highlander23

Mar 26, 2011
France
Intriguing prospect. I don't really see a flaw in his game, but then again he doesn't have any big strenght either other than being big. He does skate well for a guy his size, but so does Keith Aulie and he's nothing special. Morin doesn't have much offensive potential imo, but he could become a solid shut-down guy. Not a prospect I would take in the first round... but he's a wildcard. We'll see.

i disagree with this, yes he didn't show norris calibre offence yet, but neither did chara or pronger in their early days. Big bodied prospects need time to get used to their frame and gain weight. This guy, skates very well (at the combine, he was second fastest behind only Mckinon, and fastest on backward skating), fights, strong defence with reach and i believe offence will come with time (7 pts in 6 games in playoffs this year, so he is showing progress)

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
i disagree with this, yes he didn't show norris calibre offence yet, but neither did chara or pronger in their early days. Big bodied prospects need time to get used to their frame and gain weight. This guy, skates very well (at the combine, he was second fastest behind only Mckinon, and fastest on backward skating), fights, strong defence with reach and i believe offence will come with time (7 pts in 6 games in playoffs this year, so he is showing progress)

There is always ''the next Chara'' and the next ''Lidstrom'' in the every draft... of course Morin HAS that potential... but it would be a long shot to say he will come even close to being on Chara's level..

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
He's a towering defensive dman with a mean streak. Skates well for his size. Plays a simple and smart game. Moves good laterally. Could improve his foot speed. Dosn't bring much offensively. Will never be a top pairing guy but has potential to be a solid second or bottom pairing defender. Could be a steal or could be Boris Valabik 2.0.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
To be quite honest I thought it was Morrissey that allowed him to look good in U-18's, he did a lot of the work and recovery and allowed Morin to keep his game very straightforward and simple which is how I believe he will have to play to be successful in the NHL. Not sure if I totally love this prospect but if paired with a good player he could be serviceable, sort of like how Marc Methot has thrived playing with Erik Karlsson. Just has to remember to keep his game really simple moving forward.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
To be quite honest I thought it was Morrissey that allowed him to look good in U-18's, he did a lot of the work and recovery and allowed Morin to keep his game very straightforward and simple which is how I believe he will have to play to be successful in the NHL. Not sure if I totally love this prospect but if paired with a good player he could be serviceable, sort of like how Marc Methot has thrived playing with Erik Karlsson. Just has to remember to keep his game really simple moving forward.

Morrissey is kind of flying under the radar...I think he goes higher than expected, as high as 11 (Philly).

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I'm not sure about his offensive upside, but the fact he is a mean SOB like Nurse will mean he will go in the first regardless. Skates well and can move the puck. Guys like Teubert and McIllrath crack the top 20, and my bet is Morin follows suit.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.

Like Xavier Ouellet ?

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Actually i don't really understand why is zadorov is so highly ranked while morin is in the mid 20s !! they seem like fairly similar to me

Probably has something to do with Zadorov being built like a Mac Truck and having the devastating physical game to go along with it. He loves to go for the big, open-ice hit.

In saying that, I haven't seen a whole lot of Morin. Personally, I wouldn't take Zadorov in the top-10, but I'd take him in the 15-20 range.

Highlander23

Mar 26, 2011
France
Probably has something to do with Zadorov being built like a Mac Truck and having the devastating physical game to go along with it. He loves to go for the big, open-ice hit.

In saying that, I haven't seen a whole lot of Morin. Personally, I wouldn't take Zadorov in the top-10, but I'd take him in the 15-20 range.

actually, morin plays the same game, maybe less physical but he is a good hitter and can defend himslef in a fight !!

I read somewhere they have the same speed. I guess it will depend on teams' perception of the way they are going to develop

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad