LD Sam Dickinson - London Knights, OHL (2024 Draft)

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Vegas is an exception because of how McPhee worked the expansion draft but ironically time is running out and his poor drafting since appears to be catching up with them. Florida hasn't won anything. Colorado's core was largely drafted including arguably the two best players at their position in the NHL, which is precisely what I mean about engineering a team with proficiency.

If the goal is to find the best players at their position in the NHL (it should be), then you can discard the whole rest of the business about team need. Does Ottawa have the best players at their position at LD or RD? At C or W? No and no.

I didn't say teams don't trade or work FA. I said this is a secondary play when drafting is less than 100% proficient. A team built with 100% efficiency would be entirely assembled through the draft and this should be the goal of every team at every draft. It's in fact the whole point when running a franchise. The job gets harder and harder the less efficiently you draft.

That would be an entirely theoretical exercise, and I think it would distract a team from just getting the best players. As we see in Florida, Colorado, and Vegas, you don't need to fill every lineup hole through the draft, or even 90% of them.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
If the goal is to find the best players at their position in the NHL (it should be), then you can discard the whole rest of the business about team need. Does Ottawa have the best players at their position at LD or RD? At C or W? No and no.

That would be an entirely theoretical exercise, and I think it would distract a team from just getting the best players. As we see in Florida, Colorado, and Vegas, you don't need to fill every lineup hole through the draft, or even 90% of them.
My entire point is that Ottawa has very good players at those positions. A future Norris calibre dman on LD + significant depth which includes Kleven. A very good group of forwards including great centre depth and a power forward winger that is the envy of the league as well as other wingers that are legitimate top 6. They also have 2 decent G prospects.

They have absolutely nothing on RD. Less than nothing in fact, its's literally the achilles heel of the team when you look ahead and it has gone completely unaddressed since EK was traded in 2018. They don't have a single prospect at that position who projects as a top 4. Since 2008 the best RD they drafted was Cody Ceci and he was a bottom pairing player in Ottawa. Other than that our most exciting RD prospect in the last 15 years was Lassi Thomson. Let that sink in.

I'm not talking about patchwork with someone like Demelo, I'm talking about a long term anchor under team control until 2034. Considering strengths at other positions for the next 6+ years SS would be remiss to not attempt to address RD this year with our 1st pick considering that there are at least two highly touted RD right within our range.

Reactions: bert

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
It's Mackinnon, Makar, and Rantanen. Those are the three drafted players on their roster. Make it four if you count Landy.

I'm not saying you shouldn't try and get stars in the draft (far from it!), I'm saying that you don't necessarily need to "cover your bases" through the draft. Colorado certainly hasn't covered their bases in the draft, they've used trade and FA for all but three roster spots.
And when they won the cup, add Byram and Jost. That's five key players each playing 20+ critical minutes a night and more. Jost as the exception was traded for Sturm who played solid 4th line C minutes through the playoff run. Just like Byram for this year's wagon Avs team to be better. And you'd be crazy to argue that they weren't targeting high end D once they had Landy, Mac, and Moose locked in the top 6 which is "covering your bases."

Of course they had to build around them, but the avs are not a good example like VGK and FLA are for the model you're espousing.

Anyway, back to Dickinson...

Reactions: PlayersLtd

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
And when they won the cup, add Byram and Jost. That's five key players each playing 20+ critical minutes a night and more. Jost as the exception was traded for Sturm who played solid 4th line C minutes through the playoff run. Just like Byram for this year's wagon Avs team to be better. And you'd be crazy to argue that they weren't targeting high end D once they had Landy, Mac, and Moose locked in the top 6 which is "covering your bases."

Of course they had to build around them, but the avs are not a good example like VGK and FLA are for the model you're espousing.

Anyway, back to Dickinson...
Yes .. back to Dickinson .. who do you think will pick him?
The Hawk's might but then again they may very well not depending of course upon our eventual draft position.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The Hawk's might but then again they may very well not depending of course upon our eventual draft position.

Dickinson looks like a possibility for Chicago, Anaheim, Columbus or Ottawa. All teams that could use a top pair defenseman that is very strong defensively but can still contribute offensively.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Id be absolutely shocked if the Hawks take him but as a sens fan picking after you guys i truly hope it happens. Dickinson will be a solid NHL player i just think he has the most limited upside of any of the other projected players in the top 12. I do not see anything close to the level of Pietrangelo's ability to push the pace on the rush whether its skating or especially snapping a really good pass to create seperation. He doesnt walk the line as well either. I see some similarities in how they defend but again Pietrangelo is more pro active. Dickinson can be very passive in his own zone.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Is Jake Sanderson a good comparable?

It's not a bad comparison.

Both guys have good size, elite skating, can hammer a puck and are best in the defensive end, but Sanderson thinks the game better and makes less mistakes with the puck, which is why he deserved to go top 5 in a better draft and Dickinson may go in the 6-10 range.

Reactions: bert

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I’m not as high on Dickinson as others seem to be

The tools are excellent, but his IQ scares me. I don’t think he processes the game at a high-end level. In his own zone he’s an adventure. He tends to overcommit and over-pressure attackers. Or on the flip side not gap up, giving an opponent too much time and space. He’s often times getting caught high or completely losing his sense of space on the ice. He can look truly lost at times. It may not always seem egregious or end up costing him, because his size and skating bail him out. In transition he’s a mixed bag. His skating allows him to effortlessly fly into the opponents zone, he’s an automatic zone entry when he wants to be. Once he crosses the blueline though, he doesn’t seem to have the awareness or skill level to make plays or find opponents. He has serious blinders. It’s often times a shot on net from distance or a bobbled puck leading to a turnover. There times when he can pull this off though. Leading to what we see on the highlight reels. The flashes of elite talent are definitely there

Overall, much of his game works in Junior because he has superior physical tools. His size and skating are a crutch though. He’s always been able to out-skate his own issues and out-muscle opponents. Will he be able to do that at the next level? I’m skeptical. They’re different players stylistically, but he reminds me of Darnell Nurse in terms of the reliance on tools vs IQ, negatively affecting development

That’s is definitely super critical, but I still like him as a prospect. He put up 70 points this year. That’s impressive. He has truly elite skating in all directions. That alone will make him something at the next level. He’s also on a powerhouse team that develops talent better than any other junior program. They will go on a deep run this year and next. Great for his development

I like Dickinson, but I’m not buying any top 10 hype. Let alone top 3. He’ll end up around 15 on my final list

Last edited:

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

The tools are excellent, but his IQ scares me. I don’t think he processes the game at a high-end level. In his own zone he’s an adventure. He tends to overcommit and over-pressure attackers. Or on the flip side not gap up, giving an opponent too much time and space. He’s often times getting caught high or completely losing his sense of space on the ice. He can look truly lost at times. It may not always seem egregious or end up costing him, because his size and skating bail him out. In transition he’s a mixed bag. His skating allows him to effortlessly fly into the opponents zone, he’s an automatic zone entry when he wants to be. Once he crosses the blueline though, he doesn’t seem to have the awareness or skill level to make plays or find opponents. He has serious blinders. It’s often times a shot on net from distance or a bobbled puck leading to a turnover. There times when he can pull this off though. Leading to what we see on the highlight reels. The flashes of elite talent are definitely there

Overall, much of his game works in Junior because he has superior physical tools. His size and skating are a crutch though. He’s always been able to out-skate his own issues and out-muscle opponents. Will he be able to do that at the next level? I’m skeptical. They’re different players stylistically, but he reminds me of Darnell Nurse in terms of the reliance on tools vs IQ, negatively affecting development

That’s is definitely super critical, but I still like him as a prospect. He put up 70 points this year. That’s impressive. He has truly elite skating in all directions. That alone will make him something at the next level. He’s also on a powerhouse team that develops talent better than any other junior program. They will go on a deep run this year and next. Great for his development

I like Dickinson, but I’m not buying any top 10 hype. Let alone top 3. He’ll end up around 15 on my final list
Nurse without the mean streak is actually the best comparison I’ve seen. Totally agree with you, Dickinson will be a good player, but he’s not my favorite and will probably end up around 10ish on my list.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Nurse without the mean streak is actually the best comparison I’ve seen. Totally agree with you, Dickinson will be a good player, but he’s not my favorite and will probably end up around 10ish on my list.
The sharks should take Dickinson if they are picking ahead of the ducks imo

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

The description reads a bit like a young Cam Fowler and I've seen some similarities there this season. It would be perceived as a similar drop if Dickinson fell out of the top 10 as well (Fowler was ranked top 3/5 and went #12).

Cam could do so much with his skating at the junior level and it makes him a great transitional player in the NHL. There just isn't another high end offensive tool or the mindset to be a true elite producer. I can see that being the case with Dickinson, although I think he shows more physical assertiveness so the defensive ceiling may be higher.

Reactions: Blueston

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
The description reads a bit like a young Cam Fowler and I've seen some similarities there this season. It would be perceived as a similar drop if Dickinson fell out of the top 10 as well (Fowler was ranked top 3/5 and went #12).

Cam could do so much with his skating at the junior level and it makes him a great transitional player in the NHL. There just isn't another high end offensive tool or the mindset to be a true elite producer. I can see that being the case with Dickinson, although I think he shows more physical assertiveness so the defensive ceiling may be higher.
And Fowler never turned out. 12 might have been high.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad