LD Ryan Pilon - Brandon Wheat Kings, WHL (2015, 147th, NYI) -early retirement

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Figured I'd start a thread to begin tracking this kid. Is a WHL rookie but has been fantastic this season after being the 3rd overall pick in the 2011 Bantam Draft.

Stands at 6'2 and 197 pounds and is a late-1996 birthday, making him eligible for the 2015 draft.

I've had the chance to watch Lethbridge about a half-dozen times this season so far and he's been their best player in about half of those viewings. He's been mostly paired with 2013 draft prospect Macoy Erkamps in the games I've seen and they've been counted on to play the main minutes on the blueline.

Skates pretty well, is rugged but his offensive abilities are the things that stand out. Great shot, good passer and just makes things happen at even strength and on the PP.

In 22 games this year he already has 4 goals and 10 assists for 14 points with a +5 rating and 12 PIMs.

Keep your eyes and ears open for this kid.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Weird thing is I heard of his younger cousin Garrett first lol

Can't wait to see him at the U17's, definitely one of those high end guys to watch in that tourney

Any relation to Rich Pilon from the Isles?

Yes, it's his uncle.

DKQ

Generic User Title
Jun 17, 2012
Press Box
A Dman named Pilon is destined to fail. Or at least incur the wrath of a thousand puns whenever he messes up

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
A Dman named Pilon is destined to fail. Or at least incur the wrath of a thousand puns whenever he messes up

I haven't watched Lethbridge a lot this season, but I think his name is pronounced as pee-lawn, but RS probably knows.

RS who do see as better potential, Fleury ('14) or Pilon? Because they sound a lot like the same type of defenseman.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Rich Pilon was such a dirty player. It is so funny to see fans these days whine and complain about the likes of Raffi Torres when it was just ten years ago that guys like Bryan Marchment and Rich Pilon were stalking NHL ice.

Actual photo of Rich Pilon's shoulder pads....

the_legion_of_doom_13-7778562.jpg

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I haven't watched Lethbridge a lot this season, but I think his name is pronounced as pee-lawn, but RS probably knows.

RS who do see as better potential, Fleury ('14) or Pilon? Because they sound a lot like the same type of defenseman.

Yeah, it's pee-lon.

And I would say Pilon is definitely going to be a more well-rounded player, but Fleury could have the edge offensively. He's such a great skater.

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
Love this guys game. Not eligible until 2015. Very mature. Already one of Lethbridge's best defenseman

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Playing on Sportsnet tonight for those interested. And yes, you should be interested.

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
Was just going to post a thread for him. He is having an amazing year so far for a 16 year old dman.

16 points and +6 in 25 games. He's stepped in and played top-4 minutes, everything from PK to even strength and top PP unit. Can't wait to see him continue to develop. You should definitely check him out tonight if you're able to.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
With a name like that, it's a good job he's such a good defenceman, otherwise he'd be crucified everytime he got beat!

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Playing on Sportsnet tonight for those interested. And yes, you should be interested.

I was actually watching this game when i stumbled upon this thread.

Lethbrigde hit, like what 5 posts or crossbars in the last 10 minutes which they totally dominated but couldn't score as Kelowna is on a huge run right now.

Pilon looks very very good.

Sticks and Pucks

Jan 2, 2008
I wouldn't worry too much. He's not the only one who's left the team this year. The problem seems to be coaching and management, not the players. Believe it or not, the Hurricanes haven't made the playoffs since 2009.

arsmaster*

It's too bad they hosted the Cup a few years back. They look like they might be a juggernaut for 2016.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad