LD Ryan Murray (2012, 2nd overall, Columbus)

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Anyone who's seen this kid have an opinion on him?

As a 16 yr old D-man in the WHL, he has put up some impressive numbers, but most notably a +33 rating. Was first star in the Silvertips playoff game tonight with a goal and two assists.

Earlier this season, head coach Craig Hartsburg, if I remember correctly, stated that Murray was the best 16 yr old d-man he has ever coached/seen? I think Hartsburg knows a bit about d-men........

Thoughts on this kids play and potential would be great!

pdxshark

Apr 26, 2006
Portland, OR
Not since thomas hickey have I been so impressed with a 16 year old WHL defenseman. I went into my first game knowing about him and expecting to be disappointed (good 16 year old defenseman generally don't wow you) and was pretty surprised. Kid can play. Don't remember many specifics about his game as its been awhile but I had a very positive impression of him.

Canuck71*

Would love to hear more opinions on this guy. Looks like he put up a fairly solid season in Everett and is the only 1993 born player playing on the Canadian U-18 team.

If he's getting such praise from a very well respected coach like Craig Hartsburg, will Murray be another can't miss top defensive prospect?

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Complete comes to mind when you watch him play. His only downside is his size and that is not really that much an issue.

pmorris

May 24, 2008
NYC Area
He's born a shade past the September deadline, so he'll be in the 2012 draft. But I bet he goes pretty high there if he keeps playing well.

The WHL will have some pretty good d-men in that draft with Murray, Rielly, Pouliot, and Reinhart all having potential to be top 15 picks

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
He has an absolutely sick breakout pass, when I saw him play he always made the right play and did it faster than anyone else on the ice.

Looks like a good one.

Colin Black

Cut back, Smokey!
Jun 24, 2009
Washington State
I'm a Tips fan and have gone to almost every home game over the past 6 years, so I will admit right now to being biased. That being said, I believe he is the single most talented player the Tips have had in their existence. He can place the puck anywhere he wants in the offensive zone and has such amazing puck control. He will hit, but physicality obviously isn't a particular skill of his. He compensates more than enough with his hockey sense alone. His defensive partner was Radko Gudas, and they formed the best defensive pairing the team has ever had. He has decent size and has captained every team he's come to play with for an extended period of time. He could be team captain as a 17 year old next year. He plays a fairly clean and very calm game.

Well, enough of my gushing, but any fan from the West will attest to his skill. The thought of Seth Jones MAYBE still joining the Tips after a year or so makes me very happy for the team's future.

Colin Black

Cut back, Smokey!
Jun 24, 2009
Washington State
He has an absolutely sick breakout pass, when I saw him play he always made the right play and did it faster than anyone else on the ice.

Looks like a good one.

KELOWNAAAAA!!!

:tmi:

Great job the Rockets did in eliminating the Tips. Murray and Cumiskey seemed like the only two Tips who could actually play at some points later in the series. Bulmer impressed the hell out of me in this series and I hope he goes higher than projected.

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
Ryan Murray

He was one of the two 2012 eligible invitees to the U18 camp and is getting a bit of talk around these parts as a potential #1 overall in 2012.

What do you guys know about him?

Here's some biographical info:

Defense - 6'00" / 185 lbs.
Shoots: Left
Born: 09/27/1993 - White City, SK Canada

Was the Silvertips 1st round selection (9th overall) in the 2008 WHL Bantam Draft

2010 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge (Team West)
2009-10 Silvertips Rookie Of The Year
2010 IIHF Under-18 World Championships - Captain

27 pts and +33 in 52 games as a rookie defenseman

Last edited:

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Very calm,smart,safe type of Defender. Makes a very good first pass and reads the ice well. Skates really well. Not the Biggest guy and can get knocked around a bit probably will be less a problem when he bulks up.

I can't see him going number 1 overall as he is probably too small to be considered like that. Top 10 for sure though

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
Youngest player on the Ivan Hlinka U18 team and he's the CAPTAIN!

Last edited:

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
He was one of the two 2012 eligible invitees to the U18 camp and is getting a bit of talk around these parts as a potential #1 overall in 2012.

What do you guys know about him?

Here's some biographical info:

Defense - 6'00" / 185 lbs.
Shoots: Left
Born: 09/27/1993 - White City, SK Canada

Was the Silvertips 1st round selection (9th overall) in the 2008 WHL Bantam Draft

2010 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge (Team West)
2009-10 Silvertips Rookie Of The Year
2010 IIHF Under-18 World Championships

27 pts and +33 in 52 games as a rookie defenseman

I believe Coach Craig Hartsburg said last year Murray was the best 16 yr old D-man he has ever coached or seen. Whatever it was, that is a pretty good compliment from a former NHL D-man.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Bump.

Off to a good start this year for the Everett Silvertips.

Is this kid the leading candidate to go number one in 2012? I have to think he is expected to be a top 3 at this point in time.

He has it all, size speed, leadership, defensive and offensive abilities.

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
Bump.

Off to a good start this year for the Everett Silvertips.

Is this kid the leading candidate to go number one in 2012? I have to think he is expected to be a top 3 at this point in time.

He has it all, size speed, leadership, defensive and offensive abilities.

I imagine he'll be in the discussion because he is the total package...but he has some serious competition in Martin Frk.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
What is this kid like? A Seabrook type? Sounds like it based on previous reports. How is his physicality, skating, shot?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
What is this kid like? A Seabrook type? Sounds like it based on previous reports. How is his physicality, skating, shot?

I think he is a better skater and better overall package than Seabrook. Seabrook tends to be more of a stay at home guy, while Murray is more of a two way defender. Great skater and very poised with the puck.

Last edited:

CandiedBacon

Seguin and Hamilton
Sep 2, 2010
EpicMealTime
Ryan Murray

Is he still one of the top prospects for the 2012 Entry Draft. I remember a Hockey News thing on him saying he's the next Scott Niedermayer/ Drew Doughty type player.

Sticks and Pucks

Jan 2, 2008
He was plus-33 last year. This year, he's already plus-13 so far and the next highest on the team is plus-8. Pretty much shows he's committed to defence. I don't see enough offense for him to be a Niedermayer/Doughty though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad