LD Quinton Hughes - U of Michigan, NCAA (2018, 7th, VAN) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I'm from Finland. I watch a lot of games. His first game I watched because of him, 2nd because I watch a lot of Dallas (I like 'em, believe it or not), 3rd because I was bored and had nothing else to do. Tonight's game I didn't watch because there were games I actually cared about on.

Why on earth would I bluff or lie about something so trivial? Are there actually people pathetic enough to come to these threads to fabricate some elaborate lies just to make a point? Do you think so?

I know that a lot of people only watch their own team, so it must be an otherworldly thought for you that someone might watch more than one team, because they really like hockey.

the L.A game and the San Jose game would have been 5 am Finland time if you actually caught those games.

same day or same (morning in your time zone) a heated game between the Habs and Blue Jackets and Hurricanes and Capitals played yet you chose to watch the deadbeat Canucks take on another deadbeat team, ok sir.

you said you watched the Dallas game, 5 am Sunday Morning start your time, ok sir you chose to watch that over Capitals vs Lighting but sure, you can't miss your stars....

San Jose vs Vancouver your really gonna chose to watch the Dead Beat Canucks a match were no team has anything to play for over the Dallas stars vs the Flyers? gimme a break now.

Why on earth would I bluff or lie about something so trivial?

because you were trying very hard to take away anything positive from his first 4 games. You backed it up by saying you watched all his games except for tonights game. The only legitimecy is saying "well I've seen his games blah blah blah) this will cover your basis, because you said you've seen him play, now as a fan that watched him play, I don't disagree with 80% of what you just said, and anyone whois seen him play all 4 games, will not agree with what you said, so I asked where are you from, then I will go from there, to see if you actually watched his games or not. People pull this crap on hfboards.com all the time, thus one of the reasons why I stop posting here.

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
Oh my god. I am sure the kid will be ****ing awesome but these hot takes are more awful than anything else. Casey Mittelstadt and Ryan Donato got their chances last year during garbage time. Both produced very, VERY well. They were going to be Calder favorites according to their respective fanbases. Turns out that late season rookie stints aren't exactly something you should base your arguments on. What the hell is your hurry with his kid? You're not proving anyone right or wrong right now.

Even if you're the biggest fan of the team and the player, taking things with a healthy grain of salt and staying out of echo chambers (or at least realizing they're echo chambers) is a pretty healthy approach to things.

My objective view on him based on the 3 games I've seen him in: 1st game he had one good moment (which resulted into a goal from rebound) before the overtime where they put on a show with Boeser & Pettersson (but that's just OT & against L.A Kings). His tunnel vision in his own zone also almost resulted into a goal (Kings, being Kings, missed an empty net), but he did play better after that.

The next two games I've nothing to say because he did nothing. In the Dallas game I think he had one good rush 5v5.

Tonight's game I've only seen from highlights, but the first PP goal assist was very nice and the other one was another pretty fluky rebound point (It does not take elite talent to put the puck at the net on PP)

Like, the things I'm seeing, the flashes, are very promising and there's an elite puck moving defense man here, but let's not act like he's lighting the league on fire.
He had far more good moments than only one in his debut. I disagree with the tunnel vision in the defensive zone statement, but I do think with the way he chased the puck gave us an insight on one of his main defensive issues in postional defense and chasing the puck. Luckily one of those puck chase led him to force a turnover along the board. I do agree with that Hughes didn't stand out for majority of the game against Dallas and San Jose.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
the L.A game and the San Jose game would have been 5 am Finland time if you actually caught those games.

same day or same (morning in your time zone) a heated game between the Habs and Blue Jackets and Hurricanes and Capitals played yet you chose to watch the deadbeat Canucks take on another deadbeat team, ok sir.

you said you watched the Dallas game, 5 am Sunday Morning start your time, ok sir you chose to watch that over Capitals vs Lighting but sure, you can't miss your stars....

San Jose vs Vancouver your really gonna chose to watch the Dead Beat Canucks a match were no team has anything to play for over the Dallas stars vs the Flyers? gimme a break now.
Do I actually have to give you my f***ing sleeping schedule? I woke up 8 PM, It's now 7:48 AM and I'm still up, that's the state of my sleeping schedule. Dunno when I'm going to sleep, if I am. Would you like me to send you a PM every time I wake up, start watching a hockey game & go to sleep?

Why would I watch two teams I don't really care about if a team I care about is on the verge of clinching a playoff spot? I did also watch the Dallas vs Philly game where they finally clinched, yup. I'm also pretty f***ing sure those two games did not start a the same time, which is why I was also able to catch the SJ vs Van game (Not 100% of it obviously)

Reactions: TimeZone

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I do agree with that Hughes didn't stand out for majority of the game against Dallas and San Jose.

Hughes was on pace to play over 20 minutes against Dallas, until they decided to sit him out in favor of veterans in hopes of defending the lead which was an error, since they actually tied it because they rolled 5 dmans. You see the problem here? Play Quinn Hughes regularly spot a 2 goal lead, bench Quinn Hughes lose the 2 goal lead. He played early in the 3rd and sat most of the 3rd, and played late in the 3rd, only to generate a 5on 5 scoring chance for the Canucks late in the 3rd. In O.T every time he was out there, the entire play was on Dallas end.

Also tell me how can anyone stand out with Luke Schenn as a line mate? He's suppose to be with Tanev.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Do I actually have to give you my ****ing sleeping schedule? I woke up 8 PM, It's now 7:48 AM and I'm still up, that's the state of my sleeping schedule. Dunno when I'm going to sleep, if I am. Would you like me to send you a PM every time I wake up, start watching a hockey game & go to sleep?

Why would I watch two teams I don't really care about if a team I care about is on the verge of clinching a playoff spot?

lol you choosing to watch the Canucks vs Sharks over Stars vs Flyers is enough for me to go by moving forward, if you say you watch Canuck games, you are full of it.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
lol you choosing to watch the Canucks vs Sharks over Stars vs Flyers is enough for me to go by moving forward, if you say you watch Canuck games, you are full of it.
Oh my god those two games started 1½ hour apart from each other. Of course I wasn't able to catch 100% of the SJ vs. Van game, but I do have the ability to watch more than one game at the same time and 99,9% of the time I do, especially in this case where the main game was a blowout by Stars. I'm done justifying myself to an ignorant fanboy, honestly.

Keep living in your laalaa land where only the Canucks exist.

I wonder how ignorant your average HFBoards poster is if they think like you, that it's not possible to watch more than one game at a time or better yet, if they don't watch other teams at all.

Last edited:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Hughes was on pace to play over 20 minutes against Dallas, until they decided to sit him out in favor of veterans in hopes of defending the lead which was an error, since they actually tied it because they rolled 5 dmans. You see the problem here? Play Quinn Hughes regularly spot a 2 goal lead, bench Quinn Hughes lose the 2 goal lead. He played early in the 3rd and sat most of the 3rd, and played late in the 3rd, only to generate a 5on 5 scoring chance for the Canucks late in the 3rd. In O.T every time he was out there, the entire play was on Dallas end.

Also tell me how can anyone stand out with Luke Schenn as a line mate? He's suppose to be with Tanev.

Just relax no one expected Hughes to step in and be in the Norris race.

There will be growing pains and the Canucks need to shelter and nurture his development.

His offense isn't in doubt but his being a complete #1 Dman is still a journey.

Reactions: Kaizer

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018

Yes Hughes have been very dominant in OT. He stood out with Schenn in both the Kings game and the Preds game.

Drew Doubty

Apr 4, 2010
Vancouver, B.C.
Lol @ the pettiness in this thread.

I thought Hughes has played really well so far. When he gets into the right spots (rushing the puck, controlling the offensive zone, the PP, OT, defending the rush) his talent has been very apparent. His skating ability has really made a difference on the Canucks breakouts, so much of what frustrates me about this team is predictability off the rush which leads to turnovers or dump ins, with Hughes we have another option which makes a big difference not only to the rushes he's on, but also makes the team overall harder to predict and thus harder to defend. What I am concerned about, and I doubt this will ever change, is his ability to breakup the cycle.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Both of the posters arguing are embarrassing themselves.
No one cares.

Anyways. Really positive showing from Q in his first games. I disagree that that he "did nothing" 5 on 5, the fact that a 19 year old dman can hang and be productive in the NHL is incredibly promising. He looked much more responsible than I expected.

Reactions: VIPettersson

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Yikes.
Why do people keep bringing up Dallas, that was the only game where he was remotely average, the rest of the games he’s been very good, and his last game was his best by far

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Yikes.
Why do people keep bringing up Dallas, that was the only game where he was remotely average, the rest of the games he’s been very good, and his last game was his best by far

There seems to be a strong brigade that will downplay Hughes, its absolutely hilarious.

Hughes is in the NHL and is here to stay, doesn't matter how much salt anyone wants to pour on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad