LD Quinton Hughes - U of Michigan, Big Ten (2018, 7th, VAN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skead

Aug 27, 2010
Vancouver
The difference between 5'10 and 5'11 is 2.5 centermeters. Thats the size of a quarter.

Ya but when you multiply their totals by a quarter they become generational talents!!!

Ellis - 6̶0̶ ̶p̶o̶i̶n̶t̶s̶ 75 points!
Spurgeon - 5̶0̶ ̶p̶o̶i̶n̶t̶s̶ 62 points!
Butcher - 4̶4̶ ̶p̶o̶i̶n̶t̶s̶ 55 points!
Barrie - 6̶9̶ ̶p̶o̶i̶n̶t̶s̶ 86 points!
Krug - 6̶3 ̶p̶o̶i̶n̶t̶s̶ 78 points!
Ghostisbehere - 6̶8 ̶p̶o̶i̶n̶t̶s̶ 85 points!

As you can see a quarter is a BIG difference!

Reactions: jd22 and Pouliot

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Ya but when you multiply their totals by a quarter they become generational talents!!!

Imagine if they were all 25% bigger too!

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Are you implying that they are 25% bigger? cause if they are the size of a quarter bigger, I doubt they are increasing their size by 25%.

Dont think your math works.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Lmao its like people have never played hockey before.

So surprised that Height is being discussed more than Weight. This isnt basketball.

When youre in front of the net trying to clear the crease or on the boards battling a forward, its not going to matter whether your 5'10 or 6'1....its gonna matter how strong, well balanced and elusive you are.

Hughes is 5'10 but alreadt at 180. He will be just fine. He isnt some beanpole 160lbs.

Add that with his skating, IQ and agility and this guys has a super super bright future.

If nothing else he will earn the Canucks a minimum 10 more pts on average per year just w. 3 on 3 hockey alone.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Theres like 6 dman this year 5'11 or under that were on pace to hit over 40 points or have hit over 40 points.

Ellis - Pro rated 60 points
Spurgeon - Pro rated 50 points
Butcher - 44 points
Barrie - pro rated 69 points.
Krug - Pro rated 63 points
Ghostisbehere - 68 points

The difference between 5'10 and 5'11 is 2.5 centermeters. Thats the size of a quarter.

Not to mention, rookie Karlsson was a shrimp. Kimmo Timonen, Lubomir Visnovsky, Brian Rafalski, etc. You can be tiny and be an impact offensive defenseman.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
I'm not even going to read through this thread, because I imagine it's full of BS and people trying to discredit Hughes.

All I know is that this kid is a hell of a defenseman, and he's a kid that I wish the Canucks didn't draft :laugh:

Hughes is going to be a pain in the a** for many years against the Oilers.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
I'm not even going to read through this thread, because I imagine it's full of BS and people trying to discredit Hughes.

All I know is that this kid is a hell of a defenseman, and he's a kid that I wish the Canucks didn't draft :laugh:

Hughes is going to be a pain in the a** for many years against the Oilers.

Hughes and Mcdavid on the ice together during 3 on 3 OT between Edm and Van will be fantastic theatre

Reactions: Frannel

Yggdrasil

Oct 30, 2015
Lmao its like people have never played hockey before.

So surprised that Height is being discussed more than Weight. This isnt basketball.

When youre in front of the net trying to clear the crease or on the boards battling a forward, its not going to matter whether your 5'10 or 6'1....its gonna matter how strong, well balanced and elusive you are.

Hughes is 5'10 but alreadt at 180. He will be just fine. He isnt some beanpole 160lbs.

Add that with his skating, IQ and agility and this guys has a super super bright future.

If nothing else he will earn the Canucks a minimum 10 more pts on average per year just w. 3 on 3 hockey alone.

u have it right, 90% of the people here never played competitive ice hockey, make that 95%.

and top of that, most people here seriously lack the brain capacity to comprehend such...other factors, like exactly u pointed out.

i would say, ppl who knock on his height is like brian burke, "that's a small body, gentlemen, a small body." Small minds the lot of them, indeed.

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
Player comparisons are always tough...and this one won't resonate with the younger crowd, but man, Brian Leetch comes to mind in a number of ways...
Yeah, player comparisons are always tricky and when it is all said and done he will be his own player, however if he can become even half the player that Leetch was then this is a great pick.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Anyone have a NHL comparable for him?

Reminds me most of Brian Rafalski to be safe.

Best case stylistic: Brian Leetch

Worse case stylistic: Sami Vatanen

He is also similar to Krug, Ghost and Visnovsky but doesn't posses either of their slap shots. Like Rafalski, he will do most damage by QBing the PP, sublime passing and opportune wrist shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad