LD Olli Määttä (2012, 22nd overall, Pittsburgh)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JawandaPuck

Lost Art of Dynasty
Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver BC
jawandapuck.blogspot.com
Olli Maatta
Defenseman (Shoots Left)

maatta_373402b.jpg

6'1" / 183 lbs
Born: 1994-Aug-22, Jyväskylä, Finland

CHL Draft: First Overall, 2011
CHL Team: London Knights, OHL
Youth Team: JYP
NHL Draft: 2012
Stats: EliteProspects

fin_rus_top.JPG

Kirk Luedeke:
As the youngest player ever to make the Finland WJC team (same age as Reijo Ruotsalainen, Janne Niniimaa and Mikael Granlund, but with an August birthdate, younger than any of them) he played only sparingly (in last preliminary round game against Slovakia), but showed off why he was on the team in the first place. Plays a physical, no-nonsense game. Skating is a bit rough-- lacks immediate acceleration, and is a bit lacking in his pivots and turns. Good hands for making quick breakout passes. Sees the ice well; doesn't handle the puck like a hand grenade. Showed some pretty good poise for his first WJC action.

One NHL scout spoke to me about him during a break in the action and said: "He's two-way, all around defenseman. He does a little bit of everything and has a lot of enthusiasm. His first shift was full of excitement; he had courage to show up and play and he wasn't panicking with his feet."​

@DarrenDreger | Twitter
Darren Dreger
Sorry. Don't be surprised if London takes Finnish d-man Olli Maatta with top pick.​

Update: drafted First Overall in the 2011 CHL Import Draft

Last edited:

Tavaresmagicalplay*

Off topic but that video just reminds me how painfully bad Canadas goaltending was.

Fin9*

A great twoway defenseman with good size. Allready played in the Finland2 last season playing against men, having a goal and 5 assists in 23 games. Määttä is very calm and smart, he had only 6 penaltyminutes and a +14 rating.

Top 15 pick in the 2012 draft, if he stays in finland..
If he desides to go to the CHL, he might go as low as 5-10 :nod:

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
btw in u18 WJC's last april he was measured at 6'2 and 198 lbs, so apparently he's still growing :nod: Eliteprospcets measurements are always a year or two behind it seems

Pajicz

Mar 22, 2011
I cannot see him coming to CHL as he has good chance to get into JYP's SM-Liiga team.

Foxlockbox

:laugh: is my period
Mar 22, 2011
Finland
I cannot see him coming to CHL as he has good chance to get into JYP's SM-Liiga team.

If he goes 1st overall he will surely go. London Knights is a pretty good organization from what I've understood, Landeskog kinda paved the way for european prospects looking to get picked in the 1st round that CHL could very well be the right path to glory (top 10 pick).

Reactions: MasterMatt25

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
If he goes 1st overall he will surely go. London Knights is a pretty good organization from what I've understood, Landeskog kinda paved the way for european prospects looking to get picked in the 1st round that CHL could very well be the right path to glory (top 10 pick).

I wouldn't go, it takes time to adjust NA rinks like Landeskog, he started to get used to it at playoffs in his first year. maybe if he had 2 years but 1 year no. He should play at FEL-2 or FEL and shine at international tournaments.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I wouldn't go, it takes time to adjust NA rinks like Landeskog, he started to get used to it at playoffs in his first year. maybe if he had 2 years but 1 year no. He should play at FEL-2 or FEL and shine at international tournaments.

Whoever gets drafted #1 is surely coming over. They don't burn that pick, they always draft the best player who is committed to coming over. And Dreger is a pretty good source.

Add to that, London is very aggressive in acquiring players. They've pulled many a player out of their NCAA commitment.

MaNNe

Sep 27, 2009
Finland

With the recent acquisitions JYP made in their FEL team I don't see him getting much ice-time in the team. And Mestis is not a good place for a player like Määttä to develop. If he knows he isn't getting much ice time in FEL I think it's a good idea to go there. He'd get used to the smaller rink and NA-playstyle already. He still "has" 2-years in there if need be.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Whoever gets drafted #1 is surely coming over. They don't burn that pick, they always draft the best player who is committed to coming over. And Dreger is a pretty good source.

Add to that, London is very aggressive in acquiring players. They've pulled many a player out of their NCAA commitment.

I already think he will go. We'll he has experience against men and have been great at international tournaments it would be great for London to have one with pro experience. He was great in juniors when they won the title at U-20 juniors against my fav team.

walle

Sep 9, 2008
Northpole
funny how Maatta's Mestis' team average age is now 19,2. Maybe its for the best for him to get out of there :laugh:

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
With the recent acquisitions JYP made in their FEL team I don't see him getting much ice-time in the team. And Mestis is not a good place for a player like Määttä to develop. If he knows he isn't getting much ice time in FEL I think it's a good idea to go there. He'd get used to the smaller rink and NA-playstyle already. He still "has" 2-years in there if need be.

Yeah, i know he won't get into JYP roster. It would of been cool to see him at the FEL. Gotta wait for Sasha Barkov and Rasmus Ristolainen to see next great underaged talent at FEL. But i like to see more players at CHL, going before draft year.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
I'm pretty sure Olli goes to London and IMO good move.

He certainly is a good prospect and Finland needs dmen like him.

Määttä Määttä, minne työ määttä? Mie meen lonttooseen... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad