LD Oliver Ekman-Larsson (2009, 6th overall, Phoenix)

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
NHL central Scouting in the Prelim rankings has him as the 8th best Swedish prospect for the 2009 draft --but that of course is an early rating...meanwhile all the kid has done is --as a D-man--to this posting is 5th in junior age scoring in the Allsvenskan League with 10 pts in 20GP (the other 4 juniors ahead of him are all forwards and all are older (the top 3 are '89 borns,the 4th is Mattias Tedenby who is a '90 born (and he has only 1 point more than Ekman-Larsson) ....Ekman-Larsson is a late '91 (July) born and a 6'2 and just about 170 lbs he has a lot of filling out to do -but he is making his impact felt already in the Allsvenskan ...even more impressive is that he leads the entire Allsvenskan (not just the juniors there) in +/- at a great +24 ...the next guy on the list is at just +17 and the 3rd guy in +/- at +16 is a Leksands teammate and probably his D-pair partner but that guy is a grizzled old vet born in'1974....I do not believe any other junior is in the top 25 for +/- in the Allsvenskan ..sure Ekman-Larsson is playing on a good team in Leksands-but he still is the best in +/- on his own team too--so he must be doing something very well as a 17 year old against mostly men,and before he has physically even filled out yet...
Keep the radar on this kid.

Yes the Allsvenskan is not the SEL ,but it is suprior to any of the purely Junior leagues in Sweden and to Division 1 ...

In anycase starting the year as the 8th best prospect in Sweden is stillvery good,but I suspect from what he is accomplishing in the Allsvenskan,if his numbers continue to sprkle like this by year's end,this kid could rise much higher in the rankings bth for the swedish crop and for the overall drft.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
He looks great. But I think that's where he should be at the moment. 2009 is a great year for swedish prospects. Who knows, he might climb :) But as of now I think he is 7-8ish

phil macrackin

Sep 28, 2005
Red Line Report has been high on him since the start of the season. I think they currently have him ranked eighth overall, that is out of ALL the prospects eligible for the 2009 draft so...

Berglund1313

May 22, 2008
Sweden
In terms of talent he is the best D man born 91 in sweden and most scouts know his talent its only the wight issue that have him lower for the moment.

Of all swedish d that goes in the 2009 i have Oliver as the second after Hedman .

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
NHL central Scouting in the Prelim rankings has him as the 8th best Swedish prospect for the 2009 draft --but that of course is an early rating...meanwhile all the kid has done is --as a D-man--to this posting is 5th in junior age scoring in the Allsvenskan League with 10 pts in 20GP (the other 4 juniors ahead of him are all forwards and all are older (the top 3 are '89 borns,the 4th is Mattias Tedenby who is a '90 born (and he has only 1 point more than Ekman-Larsson) ....Ekman-Larsson is a late '91 (July) born and a 6'2 and just about 170 lbs he has a lot of filling out to do -but he is making his impact felt already in the Allsvenskan ...even more impressive is that he leads the entire Allsvenskan (not just the juniors there) in +/- at a great +24 ...the next guy on the list is at just +17 and the 3rd guy in +/- at +16 is a Leksands teammate and probably his D-pair partner but that guy is a grizzled old vet born in'1974....I do not believe any other junior is in the top 25 for +/- in the Allsvenskan ..sure Ekman-Larsson is playing on a good team in Leksands-but he still is the best in +/- on his own team too--so he must be doing something very well as a 17 year old against mostly men,and before he has physically even filled out yet...
Keep the radar on this kid.

Yes the Allsvenskan is not the SEL ,but it is suprior to any of the purely Junior leagues in Sweden and to Division 1 ...

In anycase starting the year as the 8th best prospect in Sweden is stillvery good,but I suspect from what he is accomplishing in the Allsvenskan,if his numbers continue to sprkle like this by year's end,this kid could rise much higher in the rankings bth for the swedish crop and for the overall drft.

Kid's a great talent and should go fairly high in the draft, but it seems all you've done here is spout a bunch of statistics.

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California
He didn't make the Swedish U-20 WJC team as an underager like Erixon and Rundblad did, but RLR has him 8th overall right now, not just out of Swedish prospects, so you could say that he's already begun to rise.

PTmbp13

Jan 21, 2007
if he wants to play in NA he will probably be drafted in the second round.;)

Pellegrino

Oct 30, 2007
Sweden
I think Rundblad and Erixon are better than Ekman-Larsson, but meanwhile, he should be able to bulk up a lot more than Rundblad & Erixon. However, Rundblad and Erixon play for a top team in SEL and they are doing just fine, and no matter how much you discuss it - there's a big difference between SEL and SEL-2. Erixon and Rundblad have also proved to be better than Ekman-Larsson in the U20 NT this season, and that is why they will feature in U20 WJC and not him. However, I think all 3 are potential first rounders. If there's anyone who should be compared to Lidström - it's Ekman-Larsson.

zenator

Jan 1, 2004
Oliver Ekman-Larsson

Apparently, Brian Murray will probably pick this kid if he is out of the top 7. I figure he wants a future #1 dman, and if Cowen is gone, Larsson will be the target. I agree with picking defense, as it is hard to find good D-men, and the Sens have their top forwards all signed long term, so don't need a star there as badly. Besides, it is good to have too many Dmen: they get a lot in trades.

I know nothing about this kid except that he is a late riser, has skyrocketed up the boards (like Karlsson last year: Murray likes these guys: why I agree he will pick Larsson), and will take a few years to develop (at least 2 years from NHL).

Did he play in the World Jrs.? If so, how did he look.

What is his size ? Is he a physical player ?

Is he better offensively or defensively, or will he excel at both ?

What NHLer does Larsson most resemble?

What is his top end potential ? What is the chance he reaches this ?

Does he play in the top Swedish league ? How has he looked ?

Thanks to anyone who has watched this player for filling me in.

Since the Sens are likely to pick 8th, I think OEL will be the selection.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=7693&lang=en

There you can read a few short facts about him.

I've seen him a few times and he looks to be the real deal, great vision with impressive sense. He's got the size but needs to bulk up. He didnt play in the JWC but he was cut short just ahead of the tournament. Watch out for him during the U-18 championship coming right up.

zenator

Jan 1, 2004
I see that Larsson is very young (turns 18 in mid July).

That is a positive, and would explain why he wasn't on the World Jrs.

Guss

Nov 15, 2008
Apparently, Brian Murray will probably pick this kid if he is out of the top 7. I figure he wants a future #1 dman, and if Cowen is gone, Larsson will be the target. I agree with picking defense, as it is hard to find good D-men, and the Sens have their top forwards all signed long term, so don't need a star there as badly. Besides, it is good to have too many Dmen: they get a lot in trades.

I know nothing about this kid except that he is a late riser, has skyrocketed up the boards (like Karlsson last year: Murray likes these guys: why I agree he will pick Larsson), and will take a few years to develop (at least 2 years from NHL).

What is his size ? Is he a physical player ? he`s 6`2 but skinny as a hockey stick, really needs to bulk up, against guys around his own age he`s very physical. He usually plays agaist men, it`s pretty hard to throw the around with his 178 pounds, instead he survives on stickwork and positioning.

Is he better offensively or defensively, or will he excel at both ? 2-way guy, plays pp and bp i Leksand (Allsvenskan) +/- (+44) best in the league!

What NHLer does Larsson most resemble? the name Lidström is often tossed around when we have a good prospect, this is the first one in i agree with.

Berglund1313

May 22, 2008
Sweden
OEL is not a late riser he have been seen as a first rounder in sweden for a few years he has been the best from the start and still is number one D in sweden born 91. He just need to bulk abit he is skinny but he is extreamly talented .

Westcoastsniper

Sep 25, 2008
Ottawa is deciding to draft Swedish now, huh? This guy sounds like a long-term project, but a worth while one.

Could make the NHL by 19. His biggest weakness is his size, but aside from that, he has an NHL caliber shot, great offensive instincts and decent in his own zone.

WesternCollegeHockey

Jul 13, 2006
Watching him tonight, he's amazing offensively. Defensively, he was on the wrong side of about three odd man rushes when he got caught out of position. I could see him being a top 10 pick, but some of the hype here about him being ready for the NHL in the next year or two seems a little over the top.

Guss

Nov 15, 2008
Watching him tonight, he's amazing offensively. Defensively, he was on the wrong side of about three odd man rushes when he got caught out of position. I could see him being a top 10 pick, but some of the hype here about him being ready for the NHL in the next year or two seems a little over the top.

I would give him a game or two since every european d-man has some problems with positioning in the smaller rinks, he probably needs two more years before he`s ready for NHL, very very thin right now.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006

He's NOT NHL ready. Physically he has a lot of work to do.

However I agree with Guss, it's impossible to judge a Euro defenseman by 1 game when he basically just came from Sweden.

Urgi

Dec 25, 2008
So this guy is basically a replica of the Sens first pick last year.

Karlsson is abit more "flashy" but oel is better overall, he is good in both bp and pp and doesnt try stuff that he cant master, he is solid.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Karlsson is abit more "flashy" but oel is better overall, he is good in both bp and pp and doesnt try stuff that he cant master, he is solid.

Perhaps but considering that the Sens have a mediocre prospect pool at every position, except defense (arguably), wouldn't it be logical for them to pick a forward and diversify a little? IMO, if they have the choice between OEL and MPS, they should take the latter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad