LD Nikolas Brouillard - Québec Remparts, QMJHL (2013 undrafted)

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
It is puzzling to me how a guy like Nikolas Brouillard (and many more, including Tkachev) is undrafted. I mean do NHL scouts even watch the games? He isn't even that small, at 5'11 (but 168 pounds). His puck carrying skills, his hands, his vision, his passing abilities, his breakout, his shooting (both wrister and slapper) are top-class.

He's a very high competitor and is always on the ice (often spends the whole 2 mins PP on the ice). Can definitely QB a power play and can also play on the PK. Physically and defensively he's alright, but of course needs some work before turning pro. But who doesn't ?

I think NHL teams should start drafting skills. How many 4th liners/grinders/goons are there on the free agent market every year? Draft the skills and worry about the size later on. Look at Andrighetto at the Habs camp, twice ignored at the NHL draft, barely 5'10 and world-class skills, challenging for a spot on the Habs already after just one AHL season.

Skills above all.

Give Brouillard a chance, a dominant offensive defenseman that can do everything on the ice.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
You told me he was weak and not very agile in his own zone. :P

JK appreciate the scouting report. I have been intrigued by this kid since I saw him play in the Super Series a couple years ago. Like I said in another thread, I thought someone would have taken a shot on him. It wasn't like he was padding stats on a stacked team. He was his teams third leading scorer in his draft year and was second last year.

Looking forward to seeing what happens with him.

Ceccles

Jun 22, 2014
Winnipeg, MB
He played on the jets young stars tourney, and I liked how he played. He did not receive an offer to our TC and got sent back to the Q. He definately deserves a look, but an extra season in the chl never hurts a defenseman. :)

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
You told me he was weak and not very agile in his own zone. :P

JK appreciate the scouting report. I have been intrigued by this kid since I saw him play in the Super Series a couple years ago. Like I said in another thread, I thought someone would have taken a shot on him. It wasn't like he was padding stats on a stacked team. He was his teams third leading scorer in his draft year and was second last year.

Looking forward to seeing what happens with him.

He IS weak. :laugh:

Not sure about the second part though. He is extremely agile. My bad, not sure why I wrote that to you. I mean, I saw him cut a scoring chance in the crease, quickly deke out a guy, power skate his way towards the neutral zone, out-skate the remaining defender to create a breakaway chance for himself.... on the penalty kill.

He's something.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
It doesn't look like he put much effort in the gym over the past 3 years. He has always stayed at the same weight.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I really liked him in the Jets camp and during the Young Stars Tourney, but I guess he didn't do enough to earn a rookie contract.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
His stats throughout his Q career have been great and he just scored a hat rick tonight, someone should take a flyer on him.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
It is puzzling to me how a guy like Nikolas Brouillard (and many more, including Tkachev) is undrafted.
I have to agree, and the only reason I'm resurrecting this thread is because I wanted to ask that same question myself somewhere on these boards. I generally dislike the QMJHL and everything that comes out of it, but this guy seems legit.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
I have to agree, and the only reason I'm resurrecting this thread is because I wanted to ask that same question myself somewhere on these boards. I generally dislike the QMJHL and everything that comes out of it, but this guy seems legit.

What the hell? You dislike every player who comes out from the league? Bold statement.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal

So I guess you arn't much of a fan of Lecavalier Crosby Voracek Drouin MacKinnon Luongo Kucherov Bergeron Krejci Huberdeau Giroux Letang Vlasic Palat Ehlers, Mario Lemieux, Guy Lafleur, Patrick Roy, Martin Brodeur, Ray Bourque :laugh:

But YOU ARE a fan of Brouillard! Good to know!

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
So I guess you arn't much of a fan of Lecavalier Crosby Voracek Drouin MacKinnon Luongo Kucherov Bergeron Krejci Huberdeau Giroux Letang Vlasic Palat Ehlers, Mario Lemieux, Guy Lafleur, Patrick Roy, Martin Brodeur, Ray Bourque :laugh:

But YOU ARE a fan of Brouillard! Good to know!
I said in general, not that there aren't any exceptions. So from that list I'd say I like maybe half of the players.

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
He's a hard player to predict. He could be in the AHL tearing it next season or he could be totally ineffective. I could see the Habs inviting him this year , maybe a spot in Hamilton ? What's their depth look like next year ?

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
He's a hard player to predict. He could be in the AHL tearing it next season or he could be totally ineffective. I could see the Habs inviting him this year , maybe a spot in Hamilton ? What's their depth look like next year ?

They need LD on the farm, they only have Mac Bennett right now among LD who can be sent to the farm without waivers. So it would be a good fit.

IMO, Brouillard is a victim of the draft being only 7 rounds. He would have been picked if it was still 9 rounds like it was before 2005.

savard95

May 9, 2014
Montréal
They need LD on the farm, they only have Mac Bennett right now among LD who can be sent to the farm without waivers. So it would be a good fit.

IMO, Brouillard is a victim of the draft being only 7 rounds. He would have been picked if it was still 9 rounds like it was before 2005.

I hope they invite him. Could be a very pleasant surprise!

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Brouillard is just dominating the Q this year.

17 points in 9 games.

7 goals and 5 assists in 4 games this week, including 2 hat tricks.

Even for a forward those are great stats.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
He was with the Leafs this off season. He did well too (scored against Montreal), but I think injury ended it.

Wouldn't be surprised if we went in for him.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
He was with the Leafs this off season. He did well too (scored against Montreal), but I think injury ended it.

Wouldn't be surprised if we went in for him.
Would be worth a flier based on his statistical performance alone.

I can see it.

Number13

May 21, 2007
Bump. Signed an AHL contract with the Toronto Marlies today. Hopefully he has a good camp again without injury, he may be able to snag an ELC if the Leafs do another Grabner-esque contract dump.

willyjones

May 30, 2013
Glad he is getting a shot kid deserves it .. i have seen him play live a few timesand he was a standout. I am not saying he is the second coming but for me he has all the skills to be better then just a 5 or 6 d man as a pro. Only time will tell but this kid if given a real shot will surprise people.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad