LD Nikita Zadorov (2013, 16th, BUF; traded to COL)

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
I'm not sure if there's already a thread on him, but he deserves his own IMO. I've been very impressed with him throughout the pre-season and in London's home opener tonight. He's huge (6'5", 220lbs), can skate well for his size, has decent hands and hits like a mack truck. He can contribute in every area of the game. He looks very, very promising.

That

Aug 25, 2012
Toronto
I love the kid. I watched him for the first time tonight and he was great. Skates very good, hits hard and often. He's fantastic positionally, and has an active stick. He uses he body extremely good to block players off aswell.

Very surprised by what I saw. I liked the rush that he made at the end of the game. He fell over and then passed it right to his team mate (whose shot rang off the crossbar), while sliding on his butt.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Really impressed by him tonight. Saw he was big...but didn't realize just how big until his stats were posted here. His skating is impressive for his size.

It looks like London could have 3 players taken in the first round this year, depending on how things progress. Anyone know offhand other times an OHL (or other CHL) team has had 3 taken in the first round?

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Really impressed by him tonight. Saw he was big...but didn't realize just how big until his stats were posted here. His skating is impressive for his size.

It looks like London could have 3 players taken in the first round this year, depending on how things progress. Anyone know offhand other times an OHL (or other CHL) team has had 3 taken in the first round?

Off the top of my head, Saint Johns in 2011; Huberdeau, Phillips and Beaulieu. Also had Jurco taken in the 2nd round.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON

MacKinnon, Drouin and Fucale could do it.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Off the top of my head, Saint Johns in 2011; Huberdeau, Phillips and Beaulieu. Also had Jurco taken in the 2nd round.

My memory is short :laugh:

Come to think of it, the Mooseheads have a decent shot at 3 being taken in the first round, no? (MacKinnon, Drouin, Fucale?)...maybe someone more knowledgeable can comment.

Topic? If Zadorov manages to translate game 1 in the OHL to the entire season in the OHL, hopefully other teams will get scared off enough by his "Russian-ness" that he'll fall to the Hawks...at the 30th pick.

eta:

you beat me to it!

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011

Unless Drouin or Fucale really fall off, I'd say it's almost assured that all three of those guys go in the 1st round.

I could see Zadorov and Domi both go top-20 and I could see Horvat just slipping outside the 1st round. Really like him, but of the three London players I'd say he's the most likely to "fall".

Krishna

Jun 15, 2010
New Jersey
Watched him and instantly fell in love. Just the type of defenseman I like.

Must have thrown 3 or 4 big hits, fought, and was great defensively

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Unless Drouin or Fucale really fall off, I'd say it's almost assured that all three of those guys go in the 1st round.

I could see Zadorov and Domi both go top-20 and I could see Horvat just slipping outside the 1st round. Really like him, but of the three London players I'd say he's the most likely to "fall".

I like Horvat, too...and for whatever reason I have this habit of really pulling for him all the time...part of it is that whenever he's interviewed I find him very composed for his age (which you don't always see outside the "overly packaged" top prospects). I think he'll be taken after Domi for sure...one thing about him is he's already got extremely good size (and build) for his age - and if he can keep progressing then I think there's a good chance he stays in the first round. Given how deep the draft is shaping up to be, top 15 is pretty optimistic - but his game looks like one that might be able to translate without a ton of complications, particularly given his size, so I can see him being desirable to a later-in-the-first-round team who won't have a huge need to rush him to the NHL.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Saw him in the U-18 and really liked him. Big, lanky, agile and long stides, uses his body effectively.

However, like most kids his size, needs to get a bit more comfortable on his skates, and is a bit raw when it comes to defensive positioning. But I'm sure that will improve as the season goes on.

What I am most interested in is whether his offensive skills will grow. He obviously has all the tools to become a very good defensive player, but will he be able to become more of an offensive threat as well?

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
Saw him in the U-18 and really liked him. Big, lanky, agile and long stides, uses his body effectively.

However, like most kids his size, needs to get a bit more comfortable on his skates, and is a bit raw when it comes to defensive positioning. But I'm sure that will improve as the season goes on.

What I am most interested in is whether his offensive skills will grow. He obviously has all the tools to become a very good defensive player, but will he be able to become more of an offensive threat as well?

I think so, kid has everything you would want in a hockey player. He's smart, very strong for his age, good skating, good skill. With good ice should come good numbers this year.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
I think so, kid has everything you would want in a hockey player. He's smart, very strong for his age, good skating, good skill. With good ice should come good numbers this year.

To me, he's a quite safe bet for the 1st round. If he puts up some offensive numbers, he'll early like Tyler Mylers or Jamie Oleksiak. However, if he doesn't but still plays solid defensively, he'll go later like Jared Tinordi.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
To me, he's a quite safe bet for the 1st round. If he puts up some offensive numbers, he'll early like Tyler Mylers or Jamie Oleksiak. However, if he doesn't but still plays solid defensively, he'll go later like Jared Tinordi.

UsernameWasTaken's last post threw me off and I thought we were all talking about Horvat, LOL. But yeah Zadorov has been very impressive, great size, very mobile and throws some big hits. I'll have to focus more on his offensive game to really get a feeling. Looks like a definite first rounder so far.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil

Remparts are another team that could do it with Duclair, Erne and Sorensen.

Really looking forward to seeing Zadorov play in the OHL. I presume Sportsnet will show a ton of Knights games as usual. Any reports on his adaptation so far (mainly speaking english)?

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Remparts are another team that could do it with Duclair, Erne and Sorensen.

Really looking forward to seeing Zadorov play in the OHL. I presume Sportsnet will show a ton of Knights games as usual. Any reports on his adaptation so far (mainly speaking english)?

I read an interview in August that said basically his English wasn't fantastic but it was functional, although he'd been using a translator - I'll try to dig it up for you.

ETA: here it is...from the London Free Press:

New Russians feel culture shock here

http://www.lfpress.com/sports/knights/2012/08/27/20146406.html

Bobkov knows the feeling well. Two years ago, the massive Anaheim Ducks prospect rolled in to battle Michael Houser for the No. 1 job in the Knights net while trying to adjust to life in North America for the first time.

"I think Nikita will do well," said Bobkov, who came in to backstop the Russians to their stunning gold medal at the 2011 world juniors in Buffalo. "It takes some time. It took me about two months before I felt a little more confident. The food is different. The language, I found that difficult at the start. You need English here to understand what the coaches are telling you and I didn't speak it very well in the beginning.

"But Vladdy (Namestnikov) was here and that really helped me.

"His English was better than my Russian."

The Knights have asked Bobkov and Namestnikov, before their NHL rookie camp assignments begin, to assist Zadorov with the transition. London's other likely import - returning Finnish defenceman Olli Maatta - adapted remarkably quickly last year and, by the spring, had put together one of the best playoffs in London history.

"He (Zadorov), his English isn't too bad," London head coach Dale Hunter said. "It's not 100 % by any means, but it's better than (anticipated). He can understand some things. That's going to take time, it always does, but the big thing is it looks like he wants to be here and he's happy.

Czechexpert

Jan 23, 2009

offensive upside is questionable IMO, more of shutdown D at NHL level with ability to move the puck out of zone.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
offensive upside is questionable IMO, more of shutdown D at NHL level with ability to move the puck out of zone.

True, but a lot can develop in nine months.

And even if he doesn't have great offensive abilities, if he can develop a great first pass as well as develop a strong slapped that he gets towards the net, he will be a high pick.

lavoy

Nov 3, 2011
My memory is short :laugh:

Come to think of it, the Mooseheads have a decent shot at 3 being taken in the first round, no? (MacKinnon, Drouin, Fucale?)...maybe someone more knowledgeable can comment.

Topic? If Zadorov manages to translate game 1 in the OHL to the entire season in the OHL, hopefully other teams will get scared off enough by his "Russian-ness" that he'll fall to the Hawks...at the 30th pick.

eta:

you beat me to it!

Maybe we need a London-Moose 17year-old Mem cup :dunno: :nod:

MacKinnon and Domi are locks for 1st rounders. Drouin is pretty much there. Horvat and Fucale most likely. Haven't seen much of Zadorov but he looks and appears to be very promising.

Quebec COULD do it, but I doubt it. A) Sorensen is coming off a huge injury so I'll wait and see if he's 1st round material. B) Quebec may go with Kucherov and Grigs (they will if there's a lockout for the full year) so Sorensen would most likely be traded. Erne and Duclair look to be 1st rounders.

pouskin74*

what? I like Zadorov, he is first round talent for sure, I only don´t see high ofensive upside.

What means high offensive upside? 50-60 points in NHL? Yes probably not but 20-30 points like Hedman is pretty much expected. So far 2 fights in 2 games and this is not what i like. He can easily get injured.

Czechexpert

Jan 23, 2009
What means high offensive upside? 50-60 points in NHL? Yes probably not but 20-30 points like Hedman is pretty much expected. So far 2 fights in 2 games and this is not what i like. He can easily get injured.

actually Hedman is very good comparison regarding his offensive upside IMO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad