LD Nikita Nesterov (2011, 148th, TBL)

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Can some Russians give me/ Tampa fans a scouting report? The Bolts seem to be incredible high on him (#4 on their prospects list according to Future Watch), but his stats aren't very meaningful, so it would be nice to get some inside.
Is he the top pairing shutdown D prospect, the list makes him? He is above the likes of Koekkoek and Barberio and those are projected as second pairing Ds at minimum.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I know he played in the WJC a few times. I am by no means a pro scout or even a casual scout. I kinda feel like the Tampa organization thinks they got a steal where they drafted him no matter where he cracks their lineup if he eventually does. I don't think he has a lot of offensive upside. I think he will be counted on to develop into a more defensive defensman. I am guessing he an Koekkoek will kinda be competing for the same role.

TampaBolt

Muck Fichigan!
Jun 8, 2012
Chicago, Illinois
He is projected as a #5-6 defenseman with some second pairing potential. He is an above average skater with puck moving skills that need a little work. While a little undersized, he is not afraid of contact. Decent shot. I saw him a lot while watching KHL streams during the lockout, since I followed Traktor because of Kuznetsov. I believe he is either hit or miss which ain't that bad for a 5th rounder. I am no scout but that's my take on him. Hope it helps.

Edit: I believe he is a tier under Koekkoek and in the same tier a Barb. I see him as a two-way D. Again take for what it's worth.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Has a very high ceiling. Yzerman said when they got him that he should have gone much higher.. I can tell you that he wont be ready for a few years. He makes bad decisions on a regular basis. Has skills though just needs the sand paper. Its good that he's seeing time for Traktor, there team is ridiculously loaded.

Fulcrum

Yes, his decision making on and off the puck is poor. He tries to be creative, but it causes bad turnovers and he can get caught out of position defensively.

He has a solid shot, he sees the ice well, despite bad decisions, and he is gritty and will battle hard and win a lot of the battles for his size. It's obvious that if and when he matures in hockey sense and puts it together with his skill set he would make a solid player.

I would guess 2-3 years before we seem him reach a serious level as I think he will be a later bloomer.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
I know he played in the WJC a few times. I am by no means a pro scout or even a casual scout. I kinda feel like the Tampa organization thinks they got a steal where they drafted him no matter where he cracks their lineup if he eventually does. I don't think he has a lot of offensive upside. I think he will be counted on to develop into a more defensive defensman. I am guessing he an Koekkoek will kinda be competing for the same role.

I actually think he has far more offensive upside than defensive prowess. I thought he was Russia's most talented D man in the last WJC. The two things that seem to stand out about his play are: (1) a lot of talent as a skater, puckhandler, etc., and (2) notoriously bad blunders on the ice, as Fulcrum makes reference to. He just can't seem to get it right, but at the same time, he has a lot of talent.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Thanks guys for the inside, but you all say he is more of a TWD than a shutdown D, so I wonder if he was rushed in the KHL? Wouldn't it be better to play him in the VHL, if he makes many mistakes? because wasn't able to get any points the whole season.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Zero chance this guy sees the NHL this season or even next season, we have a lot of depth on D. Witkowski and probably Cote and Koekkoek are ahead of him.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
Zero chance this guy sees the NHL this season or even next season, we have a lot of depth on D. Witkowski and probably Cote and Koekkoek are ahead of him.

Reading the interview from the Crunch, it sounds like Nesterov is actually ahead of Koekkoek on the pecking order.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Reading the interview from the Crunch, it sounds like Nesterov is actually ahead of Koekkoek on the pecking order.

And by next year this won't be the case. Anyways, we'd have to lose like 3 defenders to injury in order for him to play in the NHL

wings5

Jan 6, 2008

Too bad, two years in the AHL is usually the maximum amount of time for Russians before they begin to get fed up and go to the KHL, there are exceptions like Gratchev, Mayorov but many don't stick it that long. Hope he gets a shot somewhere he definitely is NHL caliber.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
And by next year this won't be the case. Anyways, we'd have to lose like 3 defenders to injury in order for him to play in the NHL

Perhaps, I actually read a few articles on the matter where they interviewed scouts from Tampa, pretty much all of them Agreed that Nesterov has a higher ceiling than Koekkoek. I guess the huge difference is the likely hood on reaching it. I could see Nesterov being a staple for us in a couple of years. If he hits his ceiling, he could very well be a top pairing defenseman, though the likelihood of that is still slim.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Perhaps, I actually read a few articles on the matter where they interviewed scouts from Tampa, pretty much all of them Agreed that Nesterov has a higher ceiling than Koekkoek. I guess the huge difference is the likely hood on reaching it. I could see Nesterov being a staple for us in a couple of years. If he hits his ceiling, he could very well be a top pairing defenseman, though the likelihood of that is still slim.

Link? I've literally never heard anyone say that. I've seen good reports about him but nothing saying he could have top pair potential.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB

Link? I've literally never heard anyone say that. I've seen good reports about him but nothing saying he could have top pair potential.

I was pretty confused about this too, considering even BP has him listed as our 23rd best prospect, behind the likes of Jake Dotchin and Brendan O'Donnell.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
This guy must be showing something I dont see because I got Koekkoek ahead of him. Slater is the full package.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL

Hockeynews magazine. Same issue that talked about Conachers diabetic issues. It was about two years ago. Sorry don't feel like digging throw a bunch of boxes to find a couple year magazine to take a picture to prove my point.

Callum

Jun 8, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
From what I understand from some friends who watch Syracuse regularly is Slater is ahead of him, but this has only happened recently. This is no knock on Nesterov but it's just Slater catching up on his development.

The couple of negatives I keep hearing about Nesterov's game is that his decision making is off at key times and he's one dimensional on the PP with just taking one-timers.

I like his upside though!

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Looks like I was wrong. :laugh:

Played in his first NHL game tonight. Looked good, apparently, as I wasn't able to watch the game.

ZeroPT*

Looks like I was wrong. :laugh:

Played in his first NHL game tonight. Looked good, apparently, as I wasn't able to watch the game.

He was solid. For a 1st NHL game he was good. I don't like the high numbers Tampa is giving all these Russians. Vasilevskiy 88, Kucherov 86, Nesterov,89, Namestnikov 90.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
He was solid. For a 1st NHL game he was good. I don't like the high numbers Tampa is giving all these Russians. Vasilevskiy 88, Kucherov 86, Nesterov,89, Namestnikov 90.

I was never into this numbers thing, but don't they chose their numbers on their own?
I mean they play the same numbers in SYR as well?

Also whats the problem behind those numbers? Other than just so many Russians seem to work out great for us ;)

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011

I think Tampa let's them choose their numbers, but man, 88 for a goalie and 89 for a Dman are weird to see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad