LD Nico Gross - EVZ Academy, NLB (2018 Draft)

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
16 years and plays in WJC 20 for Switzerland. He has 7p in 22games in NLB, no size issue. I think he has look alright so far in wjc. Sounds like a intresting player in the 2018 draft.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Was surprised at how much the coach trusted him. He was out there on the PK with a minute left against the czechs. Pretty remarkable for a 16 year old. Looked pretty solid overall. Definitely a guy to keep an eye on going forward.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Some people even believe he is the best swiss d-prospect since josi. I haven't seen him in the NLB so i can't comment on that...

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
litteraly 30-40 north american skaters can fill same role in on that same swiss/latvian/denmark/slovakian team at 16

way over blown and not a special talent imo

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
litteraly 30-40 north american skaters can fill same role in on that same swiss/latvian/denmark/slovakian team at 16

For his age, he's very good in NLB. Currently, best U17 ppg as a defenseman all-time in NLB and has put up good numbers in the last few years. Will be interested to see the type of trust he gets against Sweden but he is someone to look out for.

chokei

Dec 31, 2011
Zürich

What kind of logic is this? This implies that Switzerland could never produce a good talent. How many nations could replace Roman Josi on our blue line then?

Do you really think that Gross is simply there because of a lack of better, older defenders? Well, true - but because Gross is actually good and not because of a simple lack of depth.

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich

Him being at the WJC is nothing to write home about. What he's currently doing in the NLB, on the other hand, is. Which you would know if you did some research and looked just a tiny bit farther than just the WJC. But I know, international hockeyz r hard.

Anyway. Please, tell me more about your in-depth knowledge of a player you probably have seen playing 2 times.

What kind of logic is this? This implies that Switzerland could never produce a good talent. How many nations could replace Roman Josi on our blue line then?

Do you really think that Gross is simply there because of a lack of better, older defenders? Well, true - but because Gross is actually good and not because of a simple lack of depth.

It's not like he's right, but your argument doesn't really hold much water here. You are trying to tell him that we don't lack depth by bringing up the best Swiss player of all time.

We've been able to produce good talent in recent years. It's just that it's typically 0-2 guys per NT who are really good, 15ish who are okay and the rest just isn't worth mentioning from an international point of view. Our junior teams definitely lack depth more than any other top 8 team.

chokei

Dec 31, 2011
Zürich
Him being at the WJC is nothing to write home about. What he's currently doing in the NLB, on the other hand, is. Which you would know if you actually knew something about the Swiss leagues.

But please, tell me more about your in-depth knowledge of a player you probably have seen playing 2 times.

It's not like he's right, but your argument doesn't really hold much water here. You are trying to tell him that we don't lack depth by bringing up the best Swiss player of all time.

We've been able to produce good talent in recent years. It's just that it's typically 0-2 guys per NT who are really good, 15ish who are okay and the rest just isn't worth mentioning from an international point of view. Our junior teams definitely lack depth more than any other top 8 team.

My point was that you cannot link the age and nation a player plays for to his talent. What if Gross IS the next Josi? A player like this would shine on any team. You can't say a 16 year old making the U20 national team is nothing special simply because he plays for Switzerland. While we are not nearly as deep as north american teams, it's also not normal for Switzerland to take 16 year old defenders to this tournament. He at least has to be better than a few 17, 18 and 19 year olds - and that's something. He plays in an adult league with 16 years. He somehow earned his spot.

But seriously, replying to a comment that says a 16 year old he's never heard of is not a special talent is ridiculous anyway. No idea why I did. Let's see where he is in 5 years.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Was quite impressed by him in both games. Is his game special? No it isn't until you see his age and understand that for a 16 year old to be this good is a remarkable fleet. Perhaps it's unfair to judge his offensive game, but in terms of strictly speaking about defense, he surprised me how calm he was. Additionally to this calm demeanor, he had smooth skating ability, and understood what to do with the puck.

Should be a very solid Jonas Brodin type of defender for the second round IMO.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com

Smh, this is an incredibly ignorant comment. "imo", when you know this little about Euro hockey you don't have an opinion. You have a bias. Swiss hockey, Latvian hockey, Danish hockey, and Slovak hockey are all in different places in terms of domestic development, with Swiss hockey being the furthest along in organizational infrastructure. The man scored more points in his U17 season in the NLB than any player except Denis Malgin in a long time and as a Dman. Only a handful of players play NLB in their U17 season, some of them bust hard but some turn into Hischier or Malgin or Jonas Siegenthaler.

In philosophy we like to say that knowledge is truth plus warrant. To be correct without warrant is not knowledge. However, he may be slightly overblown. His season at Oshawa hasn't really been the move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad