LD Morgan Rielly - Moose Jaw Warriors, WHL (2012 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
This kid is sick.

I finally got to watch him last night playing for Moose Jaw of the WHL.

As a 16 year old he was THE best player on the ice. He is an elite skater and rushed the puck up the ice 4-5 times and wasn't afraid to lead his team up the ice. I think he ended the game with an assist, but he easily generated 3-4 chances by himself alone. He also made a few nice plays defensively against a fairly old Blades lineup. He was the first star of the game.

His draft day is still a while away, but I really liked what he had to offer last night. He still has 2 full seasons before his name will be called at the draft.

Last edited:

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Really? No one?

People will know who this guy is in Spring of 2012, I can guarantee it.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Well it's a name I'll keep in mind--since his last name is a variation of mine. Other than that I hadn't heard of him but he is really young. Good luck to him.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
He and Derrick Pouliot should battle for the title of best 2012 eligible defenseman from the dub.

Yeah that would be the most obvious conclusion with the two being the top 2 picks of the bantam draft in 09.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Here's a blurb from my blog:

As a bantam in 2008-2009, the Vancouver, BC native registered an amazing 84 points in only 43 games for Notre Dame. That included 41 goals, and 43 assists. Wow.

That was enough wow to be drafted 2nd overall in the 2009 WHL bantam draft by the Moose Jaw Warrirors.

He got bumped to midget last season, and was still very impressive. He registered 55 points in 43 games during the regular season. In the playoffs he added 9 more points, including 7 goals. The Midget AAA Hounds also won the provincial championship and the Telus Cup.

Safe to say I was excited to watch this kid.

He didn’t disappoint.

He is a fluid and graceful skater. That was definitely the first thing that I noticed about him. It was effortless and he wasn’t afraid to rush the puck. In fact, during the game on Friday night he rushed the puck up the ice untouched 4 or 5 times.

At only 16 he also has a head for the game. He knew where to be at what times and was able to break up a few plays just based on positioning alone. He has decent upper body strength and defends the position well for someone so young.

This fall he topped out at 6’0 and 190 pounds. That’s an inch taller and 12 pounds heavier than last winter. I also think that he can grow another inch or two, and gain another 5-10 pounds in the next year or two.

He ended up getting one assist in a 3-2 Moose Jaw shootout win and Les and I named him as the first star of the game. He was clearly the best player on the ice for either team during a game that featured several 20 year old's.

His NHL draft year is still two years away, not until 2012 and he is already listed among the potential top 15 or 20 picks. The sky is truly the limit for him. I am not a fan of giving player comparisons, because that could involve expectations. But if I had to compare anyone to Rielly, it would have to be Duncan Keith of the Chicago Blackhawks. Both are around average size, are magical skaters, are left handed shots and play the game very solid both ways.

This kid is going to be fun to watch grow over the next number of seasons, and it is clear at this point that the Moose Jaw Warriors will have atleast one stud on their blueline for the next several years.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
Murray, Pouliot, Rielly, Dumba, Reinhart, Gow, Gaudet, Walters.....should be one great draft year out of the dub. I usually reserve judgement on 16 yr old d-men until the big time forwards get back from NHL camps, but I can't see that group falling short of their potential.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Get to watch him again tonight. After seeing Ryan Murray live last week it will be interesting to see Rielly again tonight. Love the kids game. Reminds me of a Scott Niedermayer type of player.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Murray, Pouliot, Rielly, Dumba, Reinhart, Gow, Gaudet, Walters.....should be one great draft year out of the dub. I usually reserve judgement on 16 yr old d-men until the big time forwards get back from NHL camps, but I can't see that group falling short of their potential.

Yeah 2012 is going to be a fantastic year. I definitely see Reilly going in the top 5.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Great player and scored a great goal last night.

While the teams played 4 on 4 he started a 2 on 1. Dished the puck up the ice then went hard to the net with his stick on the ice. Dylan Hood through it towards the front of the net and Rielly deflected it in perfectly. Great hands for a 16 year old playing against guys 4 years older than him.

Also made several solid defensive plays throughout the game.

Right now, out of the 16 year old dmen that I have seen in the WHL this year, Rielly is a close second behind Ryan Murray. Both ahead of Derrick Pouliot. I have yet to see Dumba or Reinart though. ( I see Griffin on Saturday!).

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
lol im the opposite ive seen dumba, pouliot and reinhart play but not murray or reilly.
from what i have seen pouliot is the best right now but reinhart is such a big guy i really think he could break a top 10 for his shutdown capabilities alone. really want to see reilly and murray play though

R S

Sep 18, 2006
lol im the opposite ive seen dumba, pouliot and reinhart play but not murray or reilly.
from what i have seen pouliot is the best right now but reinhart is such a big guy i really think he could break a top 10 for his shutdown capabilities alone. really want to see reilly and murray play though

Did you catch Murray during the Subway Series against the Russians? That was the first time I saw him and he looked great. I then saw him live last week and came away impressed.

I've seen Rielly 4 times now, so maybe that's why I like his game better, he's just had more chances to impress me.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Reinhart's come on with the rest of the Oil Kings.

16 points, +11 rating now. Biggest thing that stands out though is that he's a 6'4 200lbs 16 year old. That's so hard to ignore. He can skate, too.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Yep I love this kid's game. Really matured over the last year, especially defensively. I get to see the Warriors on September 16th and it should be fun to watch him live again.

DangerMan

@danlizee
Jun 4, 2007
Edmonton
whlthoughts.blogspot.com
Rielly is a player that I will be watching with great interest this season. He seems to excel in the tournament format, hopefully he'll be able to help Moose Jaw elevate their status, he has that type of potential.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Finally had a chance to see him live again the last two nights. He's bigger, stronger and more dynamic this year. Not to mention the increase in confidence now as a 2nd year player.

Still tends to overhandle the puck at times and can still be exposed by a solid forecheck, but I would submit that their is hardly a more dynamic defenceman in the 2012 draft than Morgan Rielly.

Dec 2, 2010
Finally had a chance to see him live again the last two nights. He's bigger, stronger and more dynamic this year. Not to mention the increase in confidence now as a 2nd year player.

Still tends to overhandle the puck at times and can still be exposed by a solid forecheck, but I would submit that their is hardly a more dynamic defenceman in the 2012 draft than Morgan Rielly.
I'd say Dumba is more dynamic, but Rielly is the all-around better defenceman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad