LD Morgan Rielly (2012, 5th overall, Toronto) II

Jacob8hockey*

I have a feeling that he will have a big point game next game

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
After a slow 3 weeks in November, he's looked the best he has all season in the last 2 games in my opinion. Looks like he'll be hitting his stride just in time for WJ camp, which is good news for Canada.

That's what I like to here.

Rielly is turning it up. Hope he gets more bounces this game. That last breakaway off the post last game was heartbreaking.

conway902

Feb 4, 2012
Any one know where you can find his stats for Primary vs Secondary assists(with out looking at each game sheet)?

It seems like every time he hits the score sheet its a primary assist or a goal, He doesn't seems to get any points from a simple breakout pass and 2 other guys doing the work.

maplehawk

HFB Partner
Any one know where you can find his stats for Primary vs Secondary assists(with out looking at each game sheet)?

It seems like every time he hits the score sheet its a primary assist or a goal, He doesn't seems to get any points from a simple breakout pass and 2 other guys doing the work.

that's because he is by far the biggest offensive catalyst for MJ. it's rare for that team to create chances when Morgan isn't on the ice. I'd be very interested in seeing stats around what % of MJ's goals Rielly is on the ice for because it will be a huge numer.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
I think some were discussing Rielly's shot in the last thread..I have never seen Morgan take a slap shot or a one timer, but he's got a good wrister. He's hit the posts several more than he's scored this season.

KlattNazty

Feb 3, 2011
I think some were discussing Rielly's shot in the last thread..I have never seen Morgan take a slap shot or a one timer, but he's got a good wrister. He's hit the posts several more than he's scored this season.

noted this in last thread, has hit the post on some great goal scoring chances.

and generally i would say that most would have beaten the goalie more often than not.

Fearless Leaf*

big game for Rielly and Warriors tonight against Kelowna.

member 147413

Yeah, then Canada would be undefeated

Our 1st defensive PP unit is awful, Muprhy-Hamilton cannot create any sort of chances and lack awareness to create. Meanwhile Rielly-Ouellet has been fantastic.

When Rielly's been on the ice he creates the best offense chances compared to any of our other D and he's not the time bomb that Murphy is.

The fact that he's getting probably the 2nd least amount of ice time from our defenders is beyond me.

Harrington
Rielly
Ouellet

In no order have been our best and most consistent defencemen.

Hamilton has been massively underwhelming in both ends of the ice, Reinhart has been quiet but good for the most part, Wotherspoon... same as Reinhart and Murphy has just sucked at everything.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
Our 1st defensive PP unit is awful, Muprhy-Hamilton cannot create any sort of chances and lack awareness to create. Meanwhile Rielly-Ouellet has been fantastic.

When Rielly's been on the ice he creates the best offense chances compared to any of our other D and he's not the time bomb that Murphy is.

The fact that he's getting probably the 2nd least amount of ice time from our defenders is beyond me.

Harrington
Rielly
Ouellet

In no order have been our best and most consistent defencemen.

Hamilton has been massively underwhelming in both ends of the ice, Reinhart has been quiet but good for the most part, Wotherspoon... same as Reinhart and Murphy has just sucked at everything.

Take your blinders off, Rielly wasn't anything special today, especially on those 5 on 3s where he had a ton of ice team. You can throw him in that group with Hamilton, Wotherspoon and Reinhart that have had their good and bad moments this tournament. He hasn't been on the same level as Harrington and Ouellet. Nice try!

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Take your blinders off, Rielly wasn't anything special today, especially on those 5 on 3s where he had a ton of ice team. You can throw him in that group with Hamilton, Wotherspoon and Reinhart that have had their good and bad moments this tournament. He hasn't been on the same level as Harrington and Ouellet. Nice try!

The same 5 on 3 where he passed it to Hamilton across the ice to only have Hamilton fumble the puck?

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
The same 5 on 3 where he passed it to Hamilton across the ice to only have Hamilton fumble the puck?

I don't recall them even really having much of a scoring chance on the two 5 on 3's (until they were actually over). They just passed it around and killed time. But, I do recall Hamilton making a great play to stop a nice backdoor pass in the 2nd. It seemed like the PP as a whole was awful, including Murphy, Hamilton and Reilly.

As an unbiased opinion, I thought Hamilton looked much better than Reilly today (not in the previous games).

Beleafer4

Apr 4, 2010
I don't recall them even really having much of a scoring chance on the two 5 on 3's (until they were actually over). They just passed it around and killed time. But, I do recall Hamilton making a great play to stop a nice backdoor pass in the 2nd. It seemed like the PP as a whole was awful, including Murphy, Hamilton and Reilly.

As an unbiased opinion, I thought Hamilton looked much better than Reilly today (not in the previous games).

Hamilton was good defensively but annoyed the crap out of me offensively. He is incapable of hitting the net. Why the coach is so insistent in having him on the #1 pp is beyond me.

Rielly wasnt that good today but was still way better than hamilton on the pp. When coach finally decides to put ouellet and rielly on the #1pp, will you actually see the #1pp unit outscore the second.

12345*

Hamilton had good moments? When?

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
Hamilton was good defensively but annoyed the crap out of me offensively. He is incapable of hitting the net. Why the coach is so insistent in having him on the #1 pp is beyond me.

Rielly wasnt that good today but was still way better than hamilton on the pp. When coach finally decides to put ouellet and rielly on the #1pp, will you actually see the #1pp unit outscore the second.

I think it is because Hamilton looks good on the PP in Niagara and SHOULD be playing better than his is. It is tough for Spott to adjust to the fact that this isn't the OHL. It seems like with Spott he wanted them to go into a shell up 2 goals early. I also didn't understand why Reilly and Murphy were paired together coming out of a TV time-out. They were 'lucky' that they only got the Subban penalty against them very early into that shift.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

I thought today was Hamilton's best of the tourney. Made some great plays defensively with his stick. But he was noticeably off his game in the offensive zone. Rielly I thought actually played really well. He was a lot more loose and I thought he looked solid. Nothing on the scoresheet but he had a few good looks.

RipCityPuckers

Jun 16, 2007
Toronto

Exactly this

Anyone who thinks Hamilton was better than Rielly offensively last game (and really the whole tournament) than they haven't been watching that closely.

Hamilton has looked average at best on the PP while Rielly has had moments where he's looked very solid offensively.

No doubt Hamilton has had his moments defensively but offensively he really hasn't done anything that noteworthy

Beleafer4

Apr 4, 2010
I thought today was Hamilton's best of the tourney. Made some great plays defensively with his stick. But he was noticeably off his game in the offensive zone. Rielly I thought actually played really well. He was a lot more loose and I thought he looked solid. Nothing on the scoresheet but he had a few good looks.

I agree it was hamiltons best game, he showed some solid defensive presence, and we really needed that to maintain our lead. It's just offensively I thought he was killing plays. I mean every time on the pp he would miss the net, the americans would clear it and we would have to scramble set up again. To exemplify this using stats: In 3 games hamilton has 3 SOG. 3. This is despite the fact that
-He is #1 in minutes
-He is on the #1pp (has most pp time)
-He is the "shooter" of the pp or of any pairing he is in. Because of his role, he has takes a LOT of shots.

Rielly, who is a "passer" or "ppqb" on the #2pp, and is probably last or second last in minutes played by a defenseman on team canada has 10 shots on net. Hopefully this makes you understand just how bad hamilton's shot has been. I was frustrated watching him miss quality chances, and this is coming from a guy who tolerates phaneuf.

Rielly was okay but nothing great. Had some nice offensive moments but I thought he gave opposing forwards too much space in the defensive zone. They ran around him too much. Offensively he seemed slower and a bit less effective than usual. Wasnt the worst canadian defenseman but not the best, somewhere in the middle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad