LD Miro Heiskanen (2017, 3rd, DAL) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
Oh, I know. Until I was 16 everyone thought that I shaved my legs, too.

Anyhow, it wouldn't matter if he did shave his legs. It's not an indictment, just an observation.

Maybe he tapes his ankles and feet? Lots of athletes will shave their legs if they're taping up all the time, and even if they don't initially shave, they still won't have hair after the tape rips it all out.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
He was better last year but Dahlin of course has the higher ceiling/expectation to be better in his prime.
Could you summarize his season for someone who has no idea?

How does his season compare to Dahlins?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Could you summarize his season for someone who has no idea?

How does his season compare to Dahlins?

Was selected as the best D-man in Liiga, the youngest to ever win it.
Averaged (if I remember correctly) 25mins per game in the regular season and 26 mins in the playoffs.
Was one of the best blueliners for mens national team at the Olympics and World Championships.

Elite 2way D-man with elite skating& IQ. NHL ready.

Dahlin didn't achieve any of those last season, and Heiskanen scored at a higher rate while being known for his defense.

Again this is just last season, not moving forward.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
MH got 25 minutes a night in the Finnish league and was by far the #1 on the depth chart on HIFK in terms of ice time.

Dahlin got 19 minutes a night and trailed 2 others in average ice time on Frolunda.

The Swedish league is regarded as the better league, but what MH did might have been more impressive because the leagues are close. But he also had more free reign on his team.

Would like to see PP ice time and points.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
Was selected as the best D-man in Liiga, the youngest to ever win it.
Averaged (if I remember correctly) 25mins per game in the regular season and 26 mins in the playoffs.
Was one of the best blueliners for mens national team at the Olympics and World Championships.

Elite 2way D-man with elite skating& IQ. NHL ready.

Dahlin didn't achieve any of those last season, and Heiskanen scored at a higher rate while being known for his defense.

Again this is just last season, not moving forward.
Dahlin plays in a better league, though. And competition on Finland's roster is nowhere near Sweden's for defenceman.

Dahlin was also only 17 years old the entire season, I believe.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Dahlin plays in a better league, though. And competition on Finland's roster is nowhere near Sweden's for defenceman.

Yep, which is why I talked about how they were last season and Dahling having the higher expectations in the NHL, should remember though Heiskanen is July born.

SHL can be a better league but Heiskanen was the best D-man in Liiga, the youngest ever to win it.
You don't sit those guys for your national team especially when NHL players are out of Olympics.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014

Its not a knock on Dahlin. Everyone expects him to be the better player down the line but a whole bunch of Euro scouts think Heiskanen is the better player right now and some will claim that the ceiling gap between the 2 isnt all that big. So yeah Dahlin plays in a tougher league and is younger but that doesnt change the fact that as a hockey player in the present time Heiskanen > Dahlin according to a decent amount of people.

Pretty much I think most scouts would take Heiskanen for the upcoming season where they are supposed to be rookies at the same time but take Dahlin going forward after that.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Its not a knock on Dahlin. Everyone expects him to be the better player down the line but a whole bunch of Euro scouts think Heiskanen is the better player right now and some will claim that the ceiling gap between the 2 isnt all that big. So yeah Dahlin plays in a tougher league and is younger but that doesnt change the fact that as a hockey player in the present time Heiskanen > Dahlin according to a decent amount of people.

Pretty much I think most scouts would take Heiskanen for the upcoming season where they are supposed to be rookies at the same time but take Dahlin going forward after that.
I'd like to see at least one or two Euro scouts on record backing this statement up. It just has to be a somewhat reliable source as a reporter using anonymous scouts. Just because, I don't think this is a common opinion.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I'd like to see at least one or two Euro scouts on record backing this statement up. It just has to be a somewhat reliable source as a reporter using anonymous scouts. Just because, I don't think this is a common opinion.

If we are talking simply who was better player 17-18 how wasn't it Heiskanen?

Dahlin is clearly the better prospect on draft day comparison and has a hype on a whole different level than Heiskanen but that doesn't mean as a player he was better than 17-18 Heiskanen.

Reactions: WhatWhat

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Hard to compare the two because of the different leagues, ages, and skill set. Both project to be #1 defencemen. Dahlin with a better offencive skill set and Heiskanen with more steady defence. Dahlin also has the size advantage. Both will be in the NHL a this year with both likely playing top four minutes so we’ll see how they compare soon enough.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
If we are talking simply who was better player 17-18 how wasn't it Heiskanen?

Dahlin is clearly the better prospect on draft day comparison and has a hype on a whole different level than Heiskanen but that doesn't mean as a player he was better than 17-18 Heiskanen.
It also implied that it was much closer than people make it seem in here. If you are going to say Euro scouts think it, then some sort of supporting evidence would be nice.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
It also implied that it was much closer than people make it seem in here. If you are going to say Euro scouts think it, then some sort of supporting evidence would be nice.

In what way?

If you read the main board threads and say Heiskanen was the better player last year you get jumped on by mass of fans saying hell no.
Heiskanen was better last year, Dahlin was great, elite for his age, Heiskanen was just better.

With that said, for safety reasons I want to mention again fully expecting Dahlin to be better in his prime.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
In what way?

If you read the main board threads and say Heiskanen was the better player last year you get jumped on by mass of fans saying hell no.
Heiskanen was better last year, Dahlin was great, elite for his age, Heiskanen was just better.
Well, the poster I was originally responding to. Pointed to European scouts thinking this, and I said, it was such a widespread thought, I'd like to see it backed up somewhere. Just has to be a reliable reporter, even if they are sourcing opinions from anonymous scouts.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Well, the poster I was originally responding to. Pointed to European scouts thinking this, and I said, it was such a widespread thought, I'd like to see it backed up somewhere. Just has to be a reliable reporter, even if they are sourcing opinions from anonymous scouts.

I remember reading something similar earlier but never saved them of course.
Heiskanen been seen as one of the best D-men in Europe, and better than Dahlin last season.

I don't think I saw several say that, but some.

Dahlin as the #1st overall with the ceiling he has is living by hype and getting raised to level he wasn't last season, which is pretty normal for the situation.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017

This is from the start of this thread:

From the last thread,

“I don’t think it’s going to matter, he’s not going to care who’s watching, he’s just going to be (the Stars) second-best defender by December and the best one by the end of his second NHL season,” a European-based NHL scout said. “He’s the best prospect in Europe. (Rasmus) Dahlin will be more exciting, but Heiskanen is better overall in my view.”

Stars betting big on Miro Heiskanen, even if it means...

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014

Articles come and go and I dont keep a tab on everything that mentions the kid but with a quick search here is one quote from a Shapiro article

“I don’t think it’s going to matter, he’s not going to care who’s watching, he’s just going to be (the Stars) second-best defender by December and the best one by the end of his second NHL season,” a European-based NHL scout said. “He’s the best prospect in Europe. (Rasmus) Dahlin will be more exciting, but Heiskanen is better overall in my view.”

From Dan Rosen of nhl.com on Heiskanen

"We're all going to be looking at Rasmus Dahlin as the best rookie defenceman probably, but it might be close"

I dont have time to scour the internet for any mention I have seen but that is one example of a scout who just straight up think Heiskanen is the better prospect. Also when I said Heiskanen > Dahlin I said that was in terms of skill right now. It doesnt take a quote from a scout to be able to go look at the past year and see that Heiskanen simply had a better season. That doesnt mean in the slightest that he will be the better player for the rest of the careers but right now based on play from the past year Im not sure how you can say Dahlin is the better player.

Last edited:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
OT but...

Is there any more indepth stats for SHL and SM-Liiga that have ice time by PP/Even strength/SH and points by PP/EV strength? I'm on both sites with Google Translate but not much indepth stats. Maybe some other side has them?

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Heiskanen is the most overrated prospect ever. He played like 20 liiga games and was mediocre at wjc. And now he is better than dahlin? Haha classic homerism at its finest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad