LD Mikko Kokkonen - Jukurit, Liiga (2019, 84th, TOR)

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=347571

Kokkonen is a 5'11, 190 lbs, 2001 born offensive defenceman who will make his debut against men today in a traditional Finnish preseason tournament. He is a bit of a mystery at this point in time as he is so young and he hasn't played much at the highest level in the Finnish junior system. However, when he did play at the highest level in C2 juniors, he had great stats scoring 24 + 38 = 62 points in 33 games. He finished the season as the 12th best scorer in the league despite being an underager defenceman.

I have never seen him play and I know next to nothing about him, but I thought he deserved a thread since it's not everyday that 15-year-olds make their professional debuts against men. Hopefully somebody who has seen him play before or who will see him today will be able to chip in some more information.

Last edited:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Wait, what.

That's the Liiga team.

So he's making his Liiga team debut as a 15-year-old. 3 years before he's drafted.

Has this ever happened before?

Certainly, this isn't an official Liiga match or anything but...

I almost feel like watching him play but paying €12,99 just for a couple of games is a bit too steep.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
Wait, what.

That's the Liiga team.

So he's making his Liiga team debut as a 15-year-old. 3 years before he's drafted.

Has this ever happened before?

Certainly, this isn't an official Liiga match or anything but...

I almost feel like watching him play but paying €12,99 just for a couple of games is a bit too steep.

There are probably quite a few players that have played against men in exhibition games as 15-year-olds, but only a couple that have played a regular season game. According to Savon Sanomat these players are Ilmo Uotila in 1976, Kari Lehtonen in 1999 and Jesse Joensuu in 2003. Uotila and Lehtonen didn't have any ice-time in those games, so it appears that the only player to have actually played in the Liiga as a 15-year-old is Joensuu.

I don't think Kokkonen will actually play a game in Liiga this year, but I hope I'm wrong.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Well hes gonna play in Jr.A-Liiga (U20) as a 16 year old (this upcoming season) which is pretty good, so did Juolevi and Ristolainen. Hes ahead of guys like Vatanen and Maatta tho.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Well, at least if he did play for Jukurit they wouldn't have to worry that having an underager like him would hinder their league success because Jukurit are essentially a guaranteed lock for last place.

He was in Pohjola camp all-star roster and was projected as a first rounder if I recall correctly.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Well hes gonna play in Jr.A-Liiga (U20) as a 16 year old (this upcoming season) which is pretty good, so did Juolevi and Ristolainen. Hes ahead of guys like Vatanen and Maatta tho.

Ristolainen played 5 games, Juolevi 11 games.

Urho Vaakanainen, though, played 30 games in u-20s at that age.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Ristolainen played 5 games, Juolevi 11 games.

Urho Vaakanainen, though, played 30 games in u-20s at that age.

Actually Ristolainen played 5 games when he was 15 and 27 games when he was 16. Vaakanainen played 30 games when he was 16, Juolevi played 11 games. This will be Kokkonen's 16 year old season.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Actually Ristolainen played 5 games when he was 15 and 27 games when he was 16. Vaakanainen played 30 games when he was 16, Juolevi played 11 games. This will be Kokkonen's 16 year old season.

Ristolainen was u-16, Vaakanainen was u-16, Juolevi was u-16, Kokkonen will be u-16.

If you're going to single Ristolainen out like that, might as well include Juolevi as well because he didn't turn 16 until after the season was over. That's not how one's age in hockey is generally thought of, however.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Did anyone watch this?

The match ended 1-1. He was listed in the 4th defensive pairing, as the 7-8th defenseman for his team. His team had 19 shot attempts and he took 2 of those.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Its big achievement but its not Liiga debut. Its not liiga game, teams are still testing

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
Apparently he is an early developer, which makes sense since he is playing with so much older players. According to an interview with Kiekkoareena he is 5'11 and 190 lbs with not much hope of further growth. Early developers have a big advantage in juniors but if coach Dufva thinks that he is good enough to train with men, he must have some pretty nice skills too. Dufva has never been averse to giving young players a taste of Liiga hockey as he is the man behind the professional debuts of both Aleksi Saarela and Aleksander Barkov at the age of 16.

Source: http://kiekkoareena.fi/jutut/kokkosesta-tulossa-liigan-se-mies

ijuka

May 14, 2016
He just scored an assist on the game-winning goal in a Liiga practice match against TPS. According to the statistics, he had 6min 48sec of ice time and 5 shots. However, the game time stats are a bit wonky and apparently credit an entire period to one line. There is a chance his ice time actually was around 10 minutes.

From reading comments / a news article, his assist was a huge slapshot that the goalie just barely managed to save, with his teammate batting in the rebound.

According to several commentors, he was one of the team's best defensemen(best or second-best according to some) showing a lot of confidence and calm decisions with the puck. He also functioned well under pressure.

These are only practice games but there is still a reason no one of his age has ever played an actual Liiga game. Could he be the first? Speaking of which, it is bizarre eliteprospects does not even list him as a noteworthy prospect.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
Not sure if anyone actually confused this, but Jukurit isn't Jokerit (Jokerit is in the KHL now anyway).

The reason I'm mentioning this at all is that Jukerit just got promoted from the second-tier Mestis this year. I don't how good Jukurit's roster for this season, but teams that play their first season in the league they got promoted to are usually one of the bottom teams, if not the worst in the league. So, junior players would have a much better chance of cracking Jukurit's roster (even if it's just for preseason action) than they would playing for, say, Kärpät.

That said, it's always a great achievement for a player that young to play on a pro team or even U20 junior -- even when it's only in preseason.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Kokkonen is still on the lineup tonight as Jukurit faces KalPa. Both teams have pretty much their best roster playing.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Kokkonen was listed as being on the first defensive pairing for Jukurit as they defeated Sport 3-2.

He was -1 on the match, however. Still, he got 18:33 of ice time.

I kind of begin to wonder if his level would be high enough to play in Liiga already... The coach wouldn't just put him to the first pairing for fun, right?

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Kokkonen was listed as being on the first defensive pairing for Jukurit as they defeated Sport 3-2.

He was -1 on the match, however. Still, he got 18:33 of ice time.

I kind of begin to wonder if his level would be high enough to play in Liiga already... The coach wouldn't just put him to the first pairing for fun, right?

they'd put him on the 1st pair (with decent minutes) to see where hes at development-wise and so he could get a taste of higher end competition (and what it takes to compete at that level).

ijuka

May 14, 2016
they'd put him on the 1st pair (with decent minutes) to see where hes at development-wise and so he could get a taste of higher end competition (and what it takes to compete at that level).
Yes, it's very possible but I'd imagine that that taste would have been accomplished pretty well by just keeping him in the second defensive pairing...

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Looks like he may very well get some real game at the Liiga level this year. He's listed on their roster on their website and is part of the team picture:
http://jukurit.fi/fi-fi/joukkue/20/
There is 10 defenceman listed though, so I don't know how many game he may get if at all.

Elite Prospect has him listed as either with the U20 team or the Liiga team.
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=347571

Jukurit first game is this Friday (sept 16 2016) so we'll know then I guess.

He was on the 2nd pair of 4 pairs of D in their last exhibtion match:
http://jukurit.fi/fi-fi/article/etusivu/otteluennakko-budish-debytoi-jukureissa-tanaan/979/

Skeletorrr

May 15, 2011
Finland
Few days ago Jukurit U-20 played TPS, and I think Kokkonen wasn't playing. Suggests that we might see a liiga debut pretty soon.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Anybody know if he is playing tonight?

edit. will not

Last edited:

Dropkick Murphy

Jul 9, 2011
In the bubble
Kokkonen has now signed three-year contract with Jukurit. This will mean that his debut is going happen rather soon. He will be youngest player in history of FEL.

Puckluck

Jan 8, 2016
Kokkonen has now signed three-year contract with Jukurit. This will mean that his debut is going happen rather soon. He will be youngest player in history of FEL.

Jesse Joensuu is currently the youngest player to have played in Liiga. A sobering reminder that there is still much work to do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad