LD Michaël Campoli - USNTDP, USHL (2016 undrafted)

Rekus

Dec 7, 2011
Recently committed to Boston College. Used to have a lot of hype around him back in his days with the Lac St Louis Lions. How's he doing now?

I do not think Boston College gives out scholarships on hype?

qc2nf

Jan 7, 2013
I thought he was the defenseman with the most potential coming out of Quebec in that 98 group. Girard has great skill and is having success on offense this year. His strength concerns me but man his vision and iq is crazy. I suspect Campoli will need to find his niche as to what type of player he will become. I have only seen him play 4 times this year and felt he could have done more to get involved with the play. I thought the same thing last year with the Lions, I was always looking at him but always left thinking he needs to do more. he has lots of the tools for the next level, the next 15 months will be interesting to see if he can get in to the conversation for the first couple of rounds.

Rekus

Dec 7, 2011
Currently in Russia playing in the 5 Nations tournament with the US NTDP U17.

Last edited:

Rekus

Dec 7, 2011
Bump. Wanted to bring this guy back up to see what people think

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
Is there a player that has fallen off as much as he has in the 2016 draft? Would not be surprised if he went undrafted.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Is there a player that has fallen off as much as he has in the 2016 draft? Would not be surprised if he went undrafted.

I would say Luke Kirwan has fallen as much if not more but it's a shame guys like this just hit a wall before they get drafted.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
I would say Luke Kirwan has fallen as much if not more but it's a shame guys like this just hit a wall before they get drafted.

With that said, while I think it's very possible he goes undrafted, I'd still use a late pick on him. He has some redeeming qualities starting with his size (6'2. And roughly 195lbs) and isn't exactly a bad skater. I think it's mostly a mental hump for him

Rekus

Dec 7, 2011
With that said, while I think it's very possible he goes undrafted, I'd still use a late pick on him. He has some redeeming qualities starting with his size (6'2. And roughly 195lbs) and isn't exactly a bad skater. I think it's mostly a mental hump for him

Yeah, he is an excellant skater and has good size and room to get bigger plus the time he spends at Boston College will be great for his confidence and skill development. Plays great defence. Different coaching style over at BC will not limit his play. He will be a steal for whatever team takes him, he has great upside.

Last edited:

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com

Missing time in his QMJHL draft year was a killer for him. And with USA hockey he didn't get a ton of ice time in his 2 year there. He has the size and skating ability that NHL team loves but decision making has been rough in the few games i saw of the ntdp. It wouldn't surprise me Boston College ask him to play an extra USHL season depending what their depth chart looks like for next season. He needs to play, not sure playing 6th or 7th D at BC next season is the best scenario for him.

Tigerscout

Feb 21, 2016
I remember reading a hockey news article a few years back about this kid and how he was only 13 and had an agent. They were talking so highly of him. Wonder what happened

Rekus

Dec 7, 2011
He should go play in Blainville for Joel Bouchard.

Probably would have been better for his draft if he had of gone there to play. Would have played in all situations.

However, 4 years at Boston College will help his hockey too.

Rekus

Dec 7, 2011
Missing time in his QMJHL draft year was a killer for him. And with USA hockey he didn't get a ton of ice time in his 2 year there. He has the size and skating ability that NHL team loves but decision making has been rough in the few games i saw of the ntdp. It wouldn't surprise me Boston College ask him to play an extra USHL season depending what their depth chart looks like for next season. He needs to play, not sure playing 6th or 7th D at BC next season is the best scenario for him.

He has actually been admitted to the school and his national letter of intent is for the coming season. Also, BC should be losing Santini and McCoshen after the frozen 4.

You are absolutely right , he needs to play. Tough playing 2-4 shifts a period and expect to perform at a high level.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
I've watched this kid play a dozen times and not once was I ever impressed. He's the most unsure of any NTDP defensemen. But, the NTDP depth defenders tend to get shafted in terms of zone starts and chances.

It's a thin NTDP talent wise. Don't think they'll successfully defend their gold at the U18 unless they can add scoring depth with guys like Brown and Yamamoto.

Anyway, if Casey Fitz and Joe Masonius didn't get drafted, cant see how Campoli does, even in a weak draft.

CRRhockey

Jan 29, 2013
I've watched this kid play a dozen times and not once was I ever impressed. He's the most unsure of any NTDP defensemen. But, the NTDP depth defenders tend to get shafted in terms of zone starts and chances.

It's a thin NTDP talent wise. Don't think they'll successfully defend their gold at the U18 unless they can add scoring depth with guys like Brown and Yamamoto.

Anyway, if Casey Fitz and Joe Masonius didn't get drafted, cant see how Campoli does, even in a weak draft.

Not sure what you have been watching, but I have seen Campoli play. He is probably the strongest Defensive player on the ntdp he lacks offense. He has been deprived of opportunity on this team. I think he has tremendous up side and will be a steal in the draft.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Not sure what you have been watching, but I have seen Campoli play. He is probably the strongest Defensive player on the ntdp he lacks offense. He has been deprived of opportunity on this team. I think he has tremendous up side and will be a steal in the draft.

1) He lacks offense

2) he's been deprived of an opportunity -- on a weak blueline for NTDP standards.

A guy who lacks offense has "tremendous upside"?

OK.

CRRhockey

Jan 29, 2013
He is a Canadian playing on the USA NTdP. Lack of talent not an issue. Campoli has no lack of talent on the blue line.

Rekus

Dec 7, 2011

I think what you are trying to say and it would be correct - is that he is a shut- down defender who will move the puck up and occasionally chip in offensively.

Not all defenseman can be offensive types. Someone gotta stay home and let the forwards do their job and put pucks in the net.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
I think what you are trying to say and it would be correct - is that he is a shut- down defender who will move the puck up and occasionally chip in offensively.

Not all defenseman can be offensive types. Someone gotta stay home and let the forwards do their job and put pucks in the net.

I have no problem with stay-at-home types. The problem is drafting those types early -- there's no reason to.

I'm guessing a late pick to going undrafted. My assessment is based on multiple viewings -- he's good from the dots down but lacks confidence to make plays with the puck, skate it out himself under pressure, etc. Any kid can skate the puck up the ice with an opening. Campoli is very bland. Players of his ilk are redundant in this draft. Logan Stanley is considered a shutdown type and he's got a ton of holes, yet some project him as a 1st rounder because of his instincts on offense coupled with his (overrated) defensive play

I won't mind being wrong on this one. But I simply don't see it right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad