LD Matthew Morden - Muskegon Lumberjacks, USHL (2022, 131st, ARI)

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Morden was one of my favourite Ontario defenders for the 2020 OHL Priority Selection. I think he possesses vast potential to become a high end stay at home defender. Good skater for a big kid (still room for improvement in his four way mobility). Has enough skill and sense that he has been quarterbacking St. Andrew's powerplay at the prep level.

It's funny, I spent some time on InStat recently watching his shifts against some of the higher end prep schools (Shattucks, Culver, etc) to catch up on how he was progressing. Didn't realize that he joined Muskegon over the holidays. So now I'll have that to watch too.

A low key candidate for the Top 100 IMO.

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
Morden was one of my favourite Ontario defenders for the 2020 OHL Priority Selection. I think he possesses vast potential to become a high end stay at home defender. Good skater for a big kid (still room for improvement in his four way mobility). Has enough skill and sense that he has been quarterbacking St. Andrew's powerplay at the prep level.

It's funny, I spent some time on InStat recently watching his shifts against some of the higher end prep schools (Shattucks, Culver, etc) to catch up on how he was progressing. Didn't realize that he joined Muskegon over the holidays. So now I'll have that to watch too.

A low key candidate for the Top 100 IMO.
And how did you think he looked at prep level? Has he been progressing? I'd imagine a few years with Tortorella will help develop the overall package.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
And how did you think he looked at prep level? Has he been progressing? I'd imagine a few years with Tortorella will help develop the overall package.

I mean, if he didn't look good at the prep level, he wouldn't be worth a thread here! It's very clear that he is one of the best defenders at the prep level right now. But, it's still difficult to truly determine the high end potential...especially offensively. That's why it's great that he is getting in a few games at the USHL level to see how he moves the puck, how he defends a quicker pace, etc. Definitely something to monitor.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Just an innocent question like that : do you know players who played in Prep at 18 and who shone in the NHL afterwards ? I have the impression that in most cases, the level of the player turns out to be insufficient when he starts playing in USHL or NCAA.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Just an innocent question like that : do you know players who played in Prep at 18 and who shone in the NHL afterwards ? I have the impression that in most cases, the level of the player turns out to be insufficient when he starts playing in USHL or NCAA.
He played 100% of this season as a 17 year old, he turns 18 in July.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014

I’m leaving ‘shine’ out of this bc subjective. But in recent years, the best players that spent their draft years in east coast prep are guys like Kreider, Kevin Hayes, Cam Atkinson, Keith Yandle, Jon Quick, Sheary, Killorn.

The best prep player ever is probably Brian Leetch. Next up is likely Jeremy Roenick.

The school Morden went to has been pumping out NHL picks/prospects in recent years. Foegele, Robert Thomas. Morgan Barron, Stienburg, Ryan O’Connell, Andonovski, Justin Ertel, Jack Bar, Cam Hillis, Kody Clark, Newhook, all played there for some length of time. Del Zotto also went there but left for the OHL.

McJésus uses their rink to train in the summer, as do a bunch of other big name local guys, like Stamkos/Pietrangelo.

So, the network is pretty strong from SAC these days. The Athletic did an article on them recently. And their coach is a funny Newfie who absolutely hates guys who dangle in practice, ask me how I know :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: BKarchitect

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
I’m leaving ‘shine’ out of this bc subjective. But in recent years, the best players that spent their draft years in east coast prep are guys like Kreider, Kevin Hayes, Cam Atkinson, Keith Yandle, Jon Quick, Sheary, Killorn.

The best prep player ever is probably Brian Leetch. Next up is likely Jeremy Roenick.

The school Morden went to has been pumping out NHL picks/prospects in recent years. Foegele, Robert Thomas. Morgan Barron, Stienburg, Ryan O’Connell, Andonovski, Justin Ertel, Jack Bar, Cam Hillis, Kody Clark, Newhook, all played there for some length of time. Del Zotto also went there but left for the OHL.

McJésus uses their rink to train in the summer, as do a bunch of other big name local guys, like Stamkos/Pietrangelo.

So, the network is pretty strong from SAC these days. The Athletic did an article on them recently. And their coach is a funny Newfie who absolutely hates guys who dangle in practice, ask me how I know :laugh:
Your list is very dishonest because you quote players who played almost 35 years ago in Prep School when the USDP didn't even exist and the USHL was much less developed. Other players like Robert Thomas only played one game at 15.

Excuse me for not having specified in my comment "in recent years" and "significantly
in the draft year".

We will put aside the players who played until the 2000s, it was another era. American talent was scattered. There has been work done to concentrate them in USHL/CHL since.

For the last 5 years, I have the impression that all the players who played in Prep did not have the level to be selected as high as they were. Most busts come from this scenario.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
It’s hard to evaluate “recent” picks at the NHL level simply because there hasn’t been enough time for a lot of these guys to develop. But just last year - take Scott Morrow - who at an older age than Morden this season - was still playing U18 prep. He went early in the 2nd round, was one of the most dynamic blueliners in the NCAA as a freshman this season and looks extremely promising, maybe even a steal down the road, for Carolina.

Morden is, similar to Morrow, a big, athletic and toolsy defender. I suspect there’s a good chance he plays his 18 year-old season next year in the USHL and then Harvard in ‘23 but he’s certainly got the physical build to step into the NCAA at a young age.

He’s definitely a sleeper…and obviously TC rates him highly. Nobody is saying he’s some amazing can’t miss prospect but I don’t think his prep career hurts his draft profile in 2022. Teams can scout outside the big league, he’s committed to an excellent NCAA program, SAC is an awesome pro prospect factory and he’s already on Team Canada’s radar.

Reactions: covfefe

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Your list is very dishonest because you quote players who played almost 35 years ago in Prep School when the USDP didn't even exist and the USHL was much less developed. Other players like Robert Thomas only played one game at 15.

Excuse me for not having specified in my comment "in recent years" and "significantly
in the draft year".

We will put aside the players who played until the 2000s, it was another era. American talent was scattered. There has been work done to concentrate them in USHL/CHL since.

For the last 5 years, I have the impression that all the players who played in Prep did not have the level to be selected as high as they were. Most busts come from this scenario.

Lol, ok man. Do your own homework I guess

cg98

Oct 10, 2017

in the draft year".

How is it dishonest, those are literally players that have gone from Prep to the NHL recently.

Reactions: covfefe

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
How is it dishonest, those are literally players that have gone from Prep to the NHL recently.

I'm guessing there's something lost in translation but yeah, exactly, this is pretty much why I don't post on the main boards anymore.

Robert Thomas actually played 5 years of hockey at SAC, they just aren't listed on his EP page.

Anyway, Morden. Big boy

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019

Who plays well in the USHL at 18 or in the NCAA at 20.

All are below the bet made in the draft. This is the observation that I have made since I have been attentive to the draft (in 2018).

Maybe I'm influenced by failed Jay O'Brien but the others aren't any better. Even Struble who was making a good debut - now with 3 years in the NCAA - he was clearly not worth a 2nd round selection.

I have the impression that Prep School today is for young players who do not have the level to play in the USHL. It's no longer a choice by ideal but by default.

Same observation for all those who play in secondary junior leagues with the exception of Canadians like Makar, Ceulemans or Lorenz who really make the strategy of playing in the AJHL or BCHL to play in the NCAA at 18 years old.

As already said, I'm talking about players who play in Prep the draft year. Thomas was playing in the OHL from the age of 16.

That he played in Prep at 12 has nothing to do with my observation.

It seems very crazy to me to bet on Morden in the 2nd round.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Who plays well in the USHL at 18 or in the NCAA at 20.

All are below the bet made in the draft. This is the observation that I have made since I have been attentive to the draft (in 2018).

Maybe I'm influenced by failed Jay O'Brien but the others aren't any better. Even Struble who was making a good debut - now with 3 years in the NCAA - he was clearly not worth a 2nd round selection.

I have the impression that Prep School today is for young players who do not have the level to play in the USHL. It's no longer a choice by ideal but by default.

Same observation for all those who play in secondary junior leagues with the exception of Canadians like Makar, Ceulemans or Lorenz who really make the strategy of playing in the AJHL or BCHL to play in the NCAA at 18 years old.

It seems very crazy to me to bet on Morden in the 2nd round.
Dylan Samberg has progressed pretty well despite being drafted out of high school. Leddy and McDonagh are 2 other defenders drafted out of high school that went on to do well, IIRC.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Dylan Samberg has progressed pretty well despite being drafted out of high school. Leddy and McDonagh are 2 other defenders drafted out of high school that went on to do well, IIRC.
Samberg ended the season in USHL.

McDonagh was 15 years ago. Leddy 13 years ago.

You're basically quoting guys who are 30+.

There is an evolution. All of the best Prep players end up playing in the USHL. Even Scott Morrow last year. And we see fewer and fewer players playing in Prep School in the draft.

This year I looked and I did not find. Maybe Morden indeed but personally I don't think he has the level of a player selected in the 2nd round.

You will tell me that it is a question of potential. But that's the problem of a Prep School player. Very difficult to assess his level if he does not play big games.

For me, Tomas Hamara rather than Matthew Morden in Round 2/3.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

There is an evolution. All of the best Prep players end up playing in the USHL. Even Scott Morrow last year. And we see fewer and fewer players playing in Prep School in the draft.
I mean the USHL was a viable option in 2007 and 2009. It's not a new league.

But yeah, a lot of US kids are going to go the USHL and then college route. Unless you have a kid like Mittelstadt that wants to play with his friends he grew up with, or kids who are undecided on college and want to just stay in a league they are comfortable in.

I don't think the suggestion you are trying to make that anyone playing HS hockey isn't good enough for a USHL team and you shouldn't draft them in the first 2 rounds is a legitimate one.

I would have drafted Sam Rinzel in the first 2 rounds this year regardless of if he opted to play in the USHL or not.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
I mean the USHL was a viable option in 2007 and 2009. It's not a new league.

But yeah, a lot of US kids are going to go the USHL and then college route. Unless you have a kid like Mittelstadt that wants to play with his friends he grew up with, or kids who are undecided on college and want to just stay in a league they are comfortable in.

I don't think the suggestion you are trying to make that anyone playing HS hockey isn't good enough for a USHL team and you shouldn't draft them in the first 2 rounds is a legitimate one.

I would have drafted Sam Rinzel in the first 2 rounds this year regardless of if he opted to play in the USHL or not.
Mittelstadt, Rinzel... again you're quoting guys who ended up proving themselves in the USHL before the draft.

I'm talking about blind betting. With players who have never shown anything in the USHL or in international competition. Who played exclusively in Prep or almost.

Cases like Jayden Struble or Jack Smith.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Mittelstadt, Rinzel... again you're quoting guys who ended up proving themselves in the USHL before the draft.

I'm talking about blind betting. With players who have never shown anything in the USHL or in international competition. Who played exclusively in Prep or almost.

Cases like Jayden Struble or Jack Smith.
I literally said I would draft Rinzel in the first 2 rounds even if he played 0 USHL games this year, but OK.

Seems like you just want confirmation on that Jay O'Brien pick.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
I literally said I would draft Rinzel in the first 2 rounds even if he played 0 USHL games this year, but OK.

Seems like you just want confirmation on that Jay O'Brien pick.
Rinzel 101st for me last month. I just know that I ranked him 3rd USHL player (USDP excepted) for the next ranking. So a probably a late 3rd round player in my next list.

He was not crazy at the Hlinka Gretzky.

I prefer to go with right-handed defenders who showed more things at a high level in the 2nd round. Especially in this draft, where there is no lack of it. Casey & Chesley to speak only of Americans. Havelid & Salin & Salomonsson for Europe.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Rinzel 101st for me last month. I just know that I ranked him 3rd USHL player (USDP excepted) for the next ranking. So a priori a late 3rd round player in my list.

He was not crazy at the Hlinka Gretzky.

I prefer to go with right-handed defenders who showed more things at a high level in the 2nd round. Especially in this draft, where there is no lack of it. Casey & Chesley to speak only of Americans.
I think this kid is going to fit your criteria this year, we will have to see how he develops:

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
I think this kid is going to fit your criteria this year, we will have to see how he develops:

I noted him. 4th in my current school player rankings (NCAA/Prep/minor leagues) behind Devine, Hughes and Lorenz. But what is he really worth? Very difficult to say.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO

This year I looked and I did not find. Maybe Morden indeed but personally I don't think he has the level of a player selected in the 2nd round.

You will tell me that it is a question of potential. But that's the problem of a Prep School player. Very difficult to assess his level if he does not play big games.

For me, Tomas Hamara rather than Matthew Morden in Round 2/3.
Are you serious? Morrow played a whopping 6 games last year in the USHL after his prep career ended. Morden is younger and has also played in the USHL (2 games mid-season).

They were/are both prep kids not “products of the USHL” before being drafted…it doesn’t mean either couldn’t have been an impact USHL player, they just choose to stay at elite prep factories prior to the draft and high-level college commitments.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Are you serious? Morrow played a whopping 6 games last year in the USHL after his prep career ended. Morden is younger and has also played in the USHL (2 games mid-season).

They were/are both prep kids not “products of the USHL” before being drafted…

Morrow is typically the case that gives me doubts. Very interesting on the video sequences viewed. Nothing done in USHL. A year to score in a small college. I had him in the 2nd round but I wouldn't have taken the risk of selecting him instead of Chibrikov or Raty. Morden, it was not today that he showed me that he was worth the risk of being selected in the 2nd round.

It really is a very risky bet for a Prep player. You do not rely on any reference match to assess the level of the player. Just a visual impression that can easily be deceived.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Morrow is typically the case that gives me doubts. Very interesting on the video sequences viewed. Nothing done in USHL. A year to score in a small college. I had him in the 2nd round but I wouldn't have taken the risk of selecting him instead of Chibrikov or Raty. Morden, it was not today that he showed me that he was worth the risk of being selected in the 2nd round.

It really is a very risky bet for a Prep player. You do not rely on any reference match to assess the level of the player. Just a visual impression that can easily be deceived.
Lol UMass is not a “small college” for hockey. They were defending national champs. Makar and Ferraro have just recently been two defenseman who have played there.

That’s fine if you don’t think he’s worth a second rounder - I actually don’t think anybody here is saying “he must be a second rounder!!!”. We just don’t think his development path will have much to do with how he is viewed or where he is selected.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad