LD Marshall Warren (2019, 166th, MIN unsigned; signed by NYI)

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
He’s looked patient and made intelligent plays with and without the puck when I’ve seen him at the tournament. Strong bet to play in the NHL in my opinion, definitely a decent shot at becoming a top-4 guy.

UNITEDSTATESOFHOCKEY

Jan 5, 2018
He’s looked patient and made intelligent plays with and without the puck when I’ve seen him at the tournament. Strong bet to play in the NHL in my opinion, definitely a decent shot at becoming a top-4 guy.

I don't think he's build to be a bottom pair guy so if he makes it, its going to be a Top 4 and PP guy, he's going to need a stabilizing presence as a D-Partner because can be a bit careless and take some unnecessary risks. If his hockey sense comes around, his ceiling is a Jared Spurgeon/Will Butcher type, his floor might be career AHLer..... He's an interesting prospect.

Reactions: Dominance

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't think he's build to be a bottom pair guy so if he makes it, its going to be a Top 4 and PP guy, he's going to need a stabilizing presence as a D-Partner because can be a bit careless and take some unnecessary risks. If his hockey sense comes around, his ceiling is a Jared Spurgeon/Will Butcher type, his floor might be career AHLer..... He's an interesting prospect.

What do you mean by he’s not built to be a bottom pairing guy?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Kid is very raw physically, but the skating and smarts are there IMO. Give him a few years to fill out and I like the upside better than most other options you will have with defenseman in rounds 2-3 this year. This draft is pretty limited as far as offensive defenseman.

Reactions: CairneBloodhoof

UNITEDSTATESOFHOCKEY

Jan 5, 2018
What do you mean by he’s not built to be a bottom pairing guy?

3rd Pairing defenseman are typically your shut down guys and Penalty Killers, that is not his game right now. those are not his strengths.... by built I didn't mean size, I mean his game isn't built for that role..... I don't think his awareness in his own end is in the ilk of a shutdown defenseman.....

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
3rd Pairing defenseman are typically your shut down guys and Penalty Killers, that is not his game right now. those are not his strengths.... by built I didn't mean size, I mean his game isn't built for that role..... I don't think his awareness in his own end is in the ilk of a shutdown defenseman.....

I see it differently. If he's not good defensively, I don't think he's an NHL'er. I think he lacks much of an offensive game.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Probably suffered from a similar scouting outlook as a guy like Henry Thrun: while not bad at anything, also not really a standout at anything either, and questions about whether there's much in the way of untapped upside hurt him. The big difference between the two is Thrun is a lot bigger and has much higher hockey IQ. The casual observer probably would watch the two and think Warren has a lot more offensive upside but in my opinion it's mostly because Warren had a penchant for being fairly reckless with his offensive rushes, which he could get away with given the quality of his teammates and the fact that it's junior hockey, but his skillset right now isn't good enough for him to get away with that at the next level.

Not slamming the pick. At 166, he's worth the shot obviously but I don't think he's much more than a poor-man's Chad Krys.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Not sure if Michigan landed any top D recruits for next year's class. They'd be returning Truscott, Edwards, and L.Fantilli on the left side (Truscott could play RD) so there's probably room for Marshall.

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
Odd decision.
Not as odd as you may think. He's a finance major, Michigan has a really good business school. He can go get masters there, add some veteran leadership to the team and has a great fall back if hockey doesn't work out. It's not like he's a surefire NHLer, he's a tweener who will have to grind his way into a bottom pairing role. He's also then free to sign with whoever he wants next year

Reactions: 57special and Torts

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Not sure if Michigan landed any top D recruits for next year's class. They'd be returning Truscott, Edwards, and L.Fantilli on the left side (Truscott could play RD) so there's probably room for Marshall.

They did not. Josh Orrico (NAHL) and Jack Wilson (USHL). Low level recruits.

Warren will play but he's not guaranteed a big role.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Not as odd as you may think. He's a finance major, Michigan has a really good business school. He can go get masters there, add some veteran leadership to the team and has a great fall back if hockey doesn't work out. It's not like he's a surefire NHLer, he's a tweener who will have to grind his way into a bottom pairing role. He's also then free to sign with whoever he wants next year

Sure but he'd have a great fallback whether he got an MBA with BC or UM.

He's a low level NHL prospect at best (I wouldn't sign him if I were Minny), so it's not that odd. Just figured he'd go for a bigger role.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
As others have said - good personal decision based on his major and coming to Michigan. I imagine he'll work his way into some sort of a top four that also includes Truscott, Edwards, Casey and himself. Michigan is still waiting to see if Jay Keranen comes back and utilizes his 5th year option.

No incoming freshman should push for top 6 minutes on defense next season.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Sounds like a good life decision for him. MI is a good school, if he’s got the brain for it. A NHL career looks to be a longshot for him, and the AHL can always wait.

Poster above is right. MN will likely not sign him, as LHD is one of their strengths in the it prospect pool, with Peart, Lambos, Hunt, O’Rourke, etc., and Brodin and Middleton signed with the big club.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Can’t imagine BC vs Michigan for business school is much of a factor. Both are great schools and he’ll be able to land an awesome job in the real world either way. Just odd that he’d leave the team he captained. Maybe he didn’t jive with the new coach.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
During the summer he fit in well with his new teammates.

Wolverines have struggled to start the year. Any updates on Warren to this point?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad