LD Markus Nutivaara - Kärpät, Liiga (2015, 189th, Columbus)

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Don't know much about him, but hes an older draft pick and very well could make our team next year if he wants to come over. Who knows.

Reactions: CBJSTH

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Quietly had a great pre season and looks like he made Columbus team out of camp.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Quietly? Well, we who have followed Nutivaara for any length of time knew that he was really good.

I was truly puzzled by how low he got ranked on Jacket's prospect forum.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Quietly? Well, we who have followed Nutivaara for any length of time knew that he was really good.

We had little to no video on him.

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009

He is certainly a player who has been helped by recent developments in the trend of defensive corps.

Physically, he is not imposing. And he has been playing on the big European rink.

But watching him this preseason, his skating is fast and smooth as well as his puck handling. Because he's such a good puck mover, he's drawing in and making a spot over the guys who are much more physical.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
Quite interesting to see a 7th rounder from just last years' draft making it to the squad. Then again, the big factor is he is already 22.

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
Excited to see him in the NHL, I have to admit he came out of the blue for me. I knew there were talks about him and he was good in Liiga, but I didn't imagine he'd be in the NHL this quickly.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Excited to see him in the NHL, I have to admit he came out of the blue for me. I knew there were talks about him and he was good in Liiga, but I didn't imagine he'd be in the NHL this quickly.

The big thing for me seeing how Kärpät were completely lost when Nutivaara got injured and he was out of the lineup for them. It's like they could get absolutely nothing started. So at that point I finally realized that the guy had a pretty big impact, puck-moving defensemen with his ability are in pretty high demand.

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
Looks like a classic European overager steal from the 7th round. Those who have seen more of his game, how is his upside?

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
I personally think his upside is probably a good/solid #5-#6 D-man in the NHL. His defensive abilities have certainly started to develop, but I still think he's best suited as a bottom pairing D-man. I do like his play, but I'm trying to be more realistic in terms of "ceiling/upside" for prospects.

DoctorDoak

Mar 21, 2006
Ontario
Can anyone who watches him regularly say if Nutivaara's playing in sheltered situations in his limited-if consistent-minutes so far, or if he's taking on tough defensive assignments?

Last edited:

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
I don't think Nutivaara will have a future in the NHL if he doesn't get more responsibility. He's a pp qb who needs to lock big minutes to be effective. He will be great in the KHL for sure.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Idk he's 22 YO and playing his first year in NA and he's doing it in the NHL. Dmen have a tough time transitioning to NA hockey even when it isn't at the highest level so

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
I don't think Nutivaara will have a future in the NHL if he doesn't get more responsibility. He's a pp qb who needs to lock big minutes to be effective. He will be great in the KHL for sure.

If he doesn't get PP time in Columbus, he will with some other team. Saying he doesn't have a future in NHL because he has played limited minutes in the first 25 games is silly.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Rook is getting fantastic stat line so far. Expecting him to progress into a bigger role during the season.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH

There is litterally no chance that he gets power play time in Columbus with our power play setup and 1 D-man. Zach Werenski and Seth Jones run the power play here. If one or two were to get hurt we also have capable players in David Savard, Jack Johnson, and Ryan Murray who can fill in.

I don't think he has a super high ceiling here, but he's been alright for us in his current spot of late. He's already pushed Dalton Prout to being our #7 man.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
There is litterally no chance that he gets power play time in Columbus with our power play setup and 1 D-man. Zach Werenski and Seth Jones run the power play here. If one or two were to get hurt we also have capable players in David Savard, Jack Johnson, and Ryan Murray who can fill in.

Johnson and Murray may have seniority going for them and Savard some sort of offensive talent but I wouldn't be so quick to cement the situation, especially when an offensively talented champion has pretty much just joined the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad