LD Markus Niemeläinen - Saginaw Spirit, OHL (2016, 63rd, EDM)

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
I think this guy deserves his own thread. Could be 1st - 2nd rounder next year.

Height: 6'5
Weight: 190lbs
Draft year: 2016
Nationality: Finnish

markus_niemelainen_hpk.jpg

Scouting Report from McKeens:

Combines impressive size and strength with above-average mobility on the blueline. Niemelainen showed flashes similar to a young Rasmus Ristolainen at the U17s. He doesn’t make many errors and his ability to make opposing attackers work for ice is a testament to his defensive capacity. 2016 NHL Draft eligible

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=175894

Last edited:

arsmaster*

Could he rise into the 1st? What's the difference between he and Juolevi.

Glad he's coming to the CHL.

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
I was watching him team play against my team in the Junior A Finnish finals. I had never heard about the guy before, but he really (literally) stood out. Good size, likes to play physically, booming shot and has good mobility for someone his size. I was a bit scared any time he was on the ice. I think they played him a lot against Mikko Rantanen and did a pretty good job trying to contain him. He obviously has a ton to learn but the tools are there. I think OHL will be a good league for his development. I would compare him to Rasmus Ristolainen.

EDIT: I didn't even read the first post. Apparently I wasn't the only one comparing him to Ristolainen. I have seen both kids at 16 year olds, and they seem very similar.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Could he rise into the 1st? What's the difference between he and Juolevi.

Glad he's coming to the CHL.

Juolevi plays more celebral style with excellent positioning and reading the plays well similar style like Lidström or Olli Määttä. When i watch Olli Määttä i think poor man's Nicklas Lidström however i think Juolevi is better than Olli Määttä at same age. He has more offense in his game, he has similar hockeyIQ, better skater, more succesful and quicker zone exits but i think that Olli Määttä has edge in defensive play even though the difference isn't that big. I would be happy if he ended like Olli Määttä level of player. His ceiling is somewhere between Määttä and Lidström. I know that is huge gap but i see Määttä ending up being first pairing D or #3 at worst. Juolevi has ceiling of #1 all situation 25+ min defenseman. That doesen't mean he will ever reach that. Juolevi is potential top 15 pick for me with chance to be 2nd defenseman taken in this draft.

Markus Niemeläinen is much like Rasmus Ristolainen without the ability to jump up to the play in the offensive zone. He is physical, good skater, punishing, offensively promising. He is solid package and with excellent season he could end up being Zadorov like prospect. I see him being late 1st/2nd round prospect.

Both plays very different game. But Olli Juolevi is on higher tier IMO. He can control the game in every zone and is very good at everything. But every team needs defenseman to clean up the blue paint so Niemeläinen is good for that.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Markus Niemeläinen was already signed, 3 year Pro contract with HIFK Helsinki.
What that CHL contract means his liiga contract with HIFK, is it buy outed or what.

Of course i understand why he left CHL.
But as a HIFK fan i would liked see him to HIFK.

Goodbye Markus and welcome back season 2016-2017-
I wish all the best for you in CHL

Last edited:

arsmaster*

Juolevi plays more celebral style with excellent positioning and reading the plays well similar style like Lidström or Olli Määttä. When i watch Olli Määttä i think poor man's Nicklas Lidström however i think Juolevi is better than Olli Määttä at same age. He has more offense in his game, he has similar hockeyIQ, better skater, more succesful and quicker zone exits but i think that Olli Määttä has edge in defensive play even though the difference isn't that big. I would be happy if he ended like Olli Määttä level of player. His ceiling is somewhere between Määttä and Lidström. I know that is huge gap but i see Määttä ending up being first pairing D or #3 at worst. Juolevi has ceiling of #1 all situation 25+ min defenseman. That doesen't mean he will ever reach that. Juolevi is potential top 15 pick for me with chance to be 2nd defenseman taken in this draft.

Markus Niemeläinen is much like Rasmus Ristolainen without the ability to jump up to the play in the offensive zone. He is physical, good skater, punishing, offensively promising. He is solid package and with excellent season he could end up being Zadorov like prospect. I see him being late 1st/2nd round prospect.

Both plays very different game. But Olli Juolevi is on higher tier IMO. He can control the game in every zone and is very good at everything. But every team needs defenseman to clean up the blue paint so Niemeläinen is good for that.
Awesome summary. Thanks.

Does Niemelainen have a big shot, like Risto or one of my all time favourite Finn's in Sami Salo?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Markus Niemeläinen was already signed, 3 year ELC contract with HIFK Helsinki.
What that CHL contract means his liiga contract with HIFK, is it buy outed or what.

Of course i understand why he left CHL.
But as a HIFK fan i would liked see him to HIFK.

Goodbye Markus and welcome back season 2016-2017-
I wish all the best for you in CHL

We don't have entry level contracts in Finland. Pro contract would be the appropriate term.

According to HIFK's site, it's a one year loan deal which means he could return next year.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
We don't have entry level contracts in Finland. Pro contract would be the appropriate term.

According to HIFK's site, it's a one year loan deal which means he could return next year.

OK
Hopefully Markus return to HIFK but we'll see that next year

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Seems like a lot of Finns coming over to the CHL this year (at least defensemen). Start of a trend or just a coincidence?

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
Seems like a lot of Finns coming over to the CHL this year (at least defensemen). Start of a trend or just a coincidence?

Finnish hockey is extremely tactical in the pro level, every team has a system that they play strictly. This is of course good for winning games, but it is detrimental to the development of offensive skills. In a junior league players don't have to be healthy scratches or play 5 minutes per game as often as in a senior league.

Playing in North America also makes a player more visible to scouts and they get drafted higher, with the added benefit of having the loophole of being able to play immediately in the AHL.

It is a great thing and I think every prospect who is below the highest tier of prospects should consider going to NA. The very best players like Barkov are good enough to play in a big role in the Finnish league, so they might gain more by staying.

Risingwind

Feb 26, 2015
That's pretty serious praise and the size is there. Why would he fall out of the first round? I mean, if he is all that he would have been close to a top10 selection in the 2015 draft.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
That's pretty serious praise and the size is there. Why would he fall out of the first round? I mean, if he is all that he would have been close to a top10 selection in the 2015 draft.

He wasn't even eligible 2015, if you meant 2016 then alot will ride on this year I would think.

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far

Ristolainen was an exceptional skater for his size and also showed more promise offensively than Niemeläinen, that's what made him a top-10 selection. That said, in defensive aspects of the game Niemeläinen was leaps and bounds better this season compared to a 16-yo Ristolainen.

Gabriel Carlsson was a late first round pick in this year's draft, with the right development Niemeläinen could achieve something similar next summer. Going higher than that might require him showing more offensive upside than right now or improving his skating and physical play noticeably.

By the way, here's a link to a YouTube clip where CBJ Director of Amateur Scouting Paul Castron briefly mentions a few words about the 2016 draft. Onwards from 18m24s he talks about the Lake Placid U20 camp and says; "I think that three of the Finns that are coming are potential top-10 picks".

Laine, Puljujärvi and Niemeläinen are the three 2016 eligible Finns going to Lake Placid provided that they pass the preliminary camp held at Vierumäki. Puljujärvi and Laine are obviously potential top-10 guys, so the big question is the valuation of Niemeläinen. Is he really seen as a potential top-10 selection by CBJ or is Mr. Castron perhaps thinking that Juolevi will show up to Lake Placid as well?

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013

By the way, here's a link to a YouTube clip where CBJ Director of Amateur Scouting Paul Castron briefly mentions a few words about the 2016 draft. Onwards from 18m24s he talks about the Lake Placid U20 camp and says; "I think that three of the Finns that are coming are potential top-10 picks".

Laine, Puljujärvi and Niemeläinen are the three 2016 eligible Finns going to Lake Placid provided that they pass the preliminary camp held at Vierumäki. Puljujärvi and Laine are obviously potential top-10 guys, so the big question is the valuation of Niemeläinen. Is he really seen as a potential top-10 selection by CBJ or is Mr. Castron perhaps thinking that Juolevi will show up to Lake Placid as well?

Could also be referring to Juuso Välimäki (tho a 2017 pick, but a potential top 10 pick nonetheless).

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Could also be referring to Juuso Välimäki (tho a 2017 pick, but a potential top 10 pick nonetheless).

Just my opinion, but I don't believe that's the case here. Besides, it's somewhat debatable whether Välimäki has the tools to be a high pick like that.

sully097

Mar 16, 2015
Edmonton
Markus Niemelainen (2016) 2nd best finnish D-man Eligible

Markus Niemelainen
Finland
6'5
190lbs
Saginaw Spirts

Towering at 6'5, Markus Niemelainen really started to showcase his talents at the recent Ivan Hlinka memorial Tournament. He managed to put up 2 assists in 5 games with the 4th place Finnish team, and took the opportunity to show off his strong two-way game. Niemelainen is very lengthy player who isn't hard to spot out. He possesses a very impressive stride for someone of his size and uses his long legs to the fullest. He is very reliable defensively and was always found on the top penalty-kill unit. His top performances came out against the last place Slovakia and the Bronze medal winning Americans, where he was very sound defensively and was very relied upon. A part of his game that doesn't get enough credit was that he was very versatile in the fact that he could play both sides of the ice, and could be used on all situations.

Some of the knock-offs of his game were that he was often not physical enough to push the opponents of the puck, he did make up for this with his reach and how he used his stick to separate his man from the puck. Another one I notice was that he wasn't all that good offensively and wont make a pinch at the blue line.

Coming into the 2015-2016 season Markus will be looking toward raising his draft stock and challenging to crack a spot on the Finland World Juniors line-up. He is coming off of a great year with the HPK U20 team, where he put up 16 points (2G 14A) in 39 games and had a remarkable +24 rating. He recently committed to playing for the Saginaw Spirits of the OHL and will most likely be a top 4 defender on that team, where he will be along side another 6'5 draft eligible in Keaton Middleton. He will also get a chance to play against the top Finnish defender Olli Joulevi, when Saginaw takes on London. Currently ranked 42nd at DraftGeek.ca and 16th amongst all eligible defenders. I predict that Niemelainen will put up 15-25 points with the Saginaw Spirit, and will man the top penalty kill. He's a potential top 6 defender in the OHL and could be someone who logs minutes against the opponents top line.

Please Comment

Last edited by a moderator:

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Markus Niemelainen
Finland
6'5
190lbs
Saginaw Spirts

Towering at 6'5, Markus Niemelainen really started to showcase his talents at the recent Ivan Hlinka memorial Tournament. He managed to put up 2 assists in 5 games with the 4th place Finnish team, and took the opportunity to show off his strong two-way game. Niemelainen is very lengthy player who isn't hard to spot out. He possesses a very impressive stride for someone of his size and uses his long legs to the fullest. He is very reliable defensively and was always found on the top penalty-kill unit. His top performances came out against the last place Slovakia and the Bronze medal winning Americans, where he was very sound defensively and was very relied upon. A part of his game that doesn't get enough credit was that he was very versatile in the fact that he could play both sides of the ice, and could be used on all situations.

Some of the knock-offs of his game were that he was often not physical enough to push the opponents of the puck, he did make up for this with his reach and how he used his stick to separate his man from the puck. Another one I notice was that he wasn't all that good offensively and wont make a pinch at the blue line.

Coming into the 2015-2016 season Markus will be looking toward raising his draft stock and challenging to crack a spot on the Finland World Juniors line-up. He is coming off of a great year with the HPK U20 team, where he put up 16 points (2G 14A) in 39 games and had a remarkable +24 rating. He recently committed to playing for the Saginaw Spirits of the OHL and will most likely be a top 4 defender on that team, where he will be along side another 6'5 draft eligible in Keaton Middleton. He will also get a chance to play against the top Finnish defender Olli Joulevi, when Saginaw takes on London. Currently ranked 42nd at DraftGeek.ca and 16th amongst all eligible defenders. I predict that Niemelainen will put up 15-25 points with the Saginaw Spirit, and will man the top penalty kill. He's a potential top 6 defender in the OHL and could be someone who logs minutes against the opponents top line.

Please Comment

Couple things:

1) It's Saginaw Spirit not Spirits. Singular.

2) I'd guess he gets a fair amount of PP time as well. I'd put his production numbers at about 30 to 40 pts on the season.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Saw him live for the first time in Saginaw's first pre season game. Was really impressed with him last night. Skates extremely well for a big man. Uses his size in a very smart way. Suffocating at times.

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
Saw him live for the first time in Saginaw's first pre season game. Was really impressed with him last night. Skates extremely well for a big man. Uses his size in a very smart way. Suffocating at times.
Nice to see him finding his game early on. Looking forward to seeing more reports of him if you go to their games often.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad