LD Marc McNulty - Prince George Cougars, WHL (2013, 169th overall, Detroit)

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
A guy to keep an eye on in the later rounds of the 2013 NHL Draft could be Prince George Cougars defenseman Marc McNulty. He stands an imposing six-foot-six and can actually move around quite well for a big man. He's had a few fights this season, but could probably stand to get a little meaner in his approach.

He has some offensive upside from the point, too, but shouldn't be confused for an offensive-defenseman. He's got five goals and eight points in 22 games.

Marc McNulty is used to containing opposing forwards.

Now, he’s just trying to contain his excitement as a member of the 2013 NHL Draft class.

The Prince George Cougars defenseman is doing all he can to make sure his focus stays on the task at hand – not the reward that comes in late June in the form of the draft.

“I’m just trying to play at my best every game, knowing there could always be someone watching,†McNulty said.

http://futureconsiderations.ca/mcnulty-containing-draft-excitement/

Definitely a guy to keep an eye on out West.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Marc McNulty - Prince George Cougars (2013 NHL Draft)

Big defenseman who was drafted in the later rounds of the 2013 draft who has greatly improved his numbers.

McNulty from 0.3 PPG to 0.55 PPG

Just looking for scouting reports. Interested in knowing if he has improved his stock.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=83498

Last edited by a moderator:

CapInSask

Jan 22, 2014
Moose Jaw, Sask
Grew up with him when he lived in Moose Jaw, just got to see him play back in MJ last week. From what I had read on him he needed to get bigger and meaner. In the first period he dropped the gloves and went to town. He may not be a punisher for his size but he is very smart with the puck and rarely makes mistakes (he's been that way since pee wee). He also had a very nice goal against the Warriors in that same game. Detroit has always been great with their late round picks and I think this could be one. He might not ever be a top defenceman but he could end up as a 5-6 dman and a powerplay guy. He reminds me somewhat of a Bouwmeester type, not saying he will be that good but they just have a somewhat similar style, and very underrated.

BacksInTheSaddle

Feb 6, 2014
Saskatchewan
Grew up with him when he lived in Moose Jaw, just got to see him play back in MJ last week. From what I had read on him he needed to get bigger and meaner. In the first period he dropped the gloves and went to town. He may not be a punisher for his size but he is very smart with the puck and rarely makes mistakes (he's been that way since pee wee). He also had a very nice goal against the Warriors in that same game. Detroit has always been great with their late round picks and I think this could be one. He might not ever be a top defenceman but he could end up as a 5-6 dman and a powerplay guy. He reminds me somewhat of a Bouwmeester type, not saying he will be that good but they just have a somewhat similar style, and very underrated.

Can you give me some more insight on this prospect? Im quite interested in hearing more. Seems like quite the unknown right now and I would love to know some more on him.

Anchor Town*

40 points in 65 games. Not bad for a 6'6" 200lb defenseman on a really bad team.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
He was a late round sleeper pick for me in 2013 (grabbed him in the Habs board mock), figures Detroit wound up with him. They've also got my other sleeper favorite, Alexei Marchenko.

I believe the criticisms of McNulty in his draft year stemmed from the fact that he wasn't great offensively or defensively and wasn't the best skater (although not many 6'6" kids are), so it was difficult to project just what kind of defenseman he was supposed to be. He has a lot of raw tools to like, for sure. I don't watch him enough to say what he's improved upon so dramatically since his draft year, aside from looking at his stats.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
He was a late round sleeper pick for me in 2013 (grabbed him in the Habs board mock), figures Detroit wound up with him. They've also got my other sleeper favorite, Alexei Marchenko.

I believe the criticisms of McNulty in his draft year stemmed from the fact that he wasn't great offensively or defensively and wasn't the best skater (although not many 6'6" kids are), so it was difficult to project just what kind of defenseman he was supposed to be. He has a lot of raw tools to like, for sure. I don't watch him enough to say what he's improved upon so dramatically since his draft year, aside from looking at his stats.

Last write-up I could find on him as far as the Wings' are considered, from the draft;

http://www.redwingscentral.com/2013/07/01/4018/mcnulty-intrigues-with-wing-span-upside/

arsmaster*

40 points in 65 games. Not bad for a 6'6" 200lb defenseman on a really bad team.

They're not that bad. 9th in Goals for out of 22 teams. They're problem is keeping the puck out of the net, not putting it in.

arsmaster*

They are the 18th worst team out of 22, they are bad.

But they aren't a poor scoring team, which is what you were suggesting. Players put up numbers on bad teams all the time.

I hate to put words in your mouth, but I interpreted your post to say he's scoring lots of points despite being on a poor team which means his production would be better elsewhere. I disagree, and I also disagree that production on bad teams means anything.

It could mean he just gets more opportunities because nobody else is capable of those minutes, but really the production is good. He's a good scoring defensman on a solid offensive team.

Either way, I have a pretty good idea how much WHL action you get to see in Sweden, so I'm done debating with ya.

Anchor Town*

But they aren't a poor scoring team, which is what you were suggesting. Players put up numbers on bad teams all the time.

I hate to put words in your mouth, but I interpreted your post to say he's scoring lots of points despite being on a poor team which means his production would be better elsewhere. I disagree, and I also disagree that production on bad teams means anything.

It could mean he just gets more opportunities because nobody else is capable of those minutes, but really the production is good. He's a good scoring defensman on a solid offensive team.

Either way, I have a pretty good idea how much WHL action you get to see in Sweden, so I'm done debating with ya.

I'm not sure I ever stated I am in Sweden but by all means, continue your hypocrisy

Anchor Town*

They're not that bad of a team.

You are what your record says you are. It's not like they lost a bunch of games close and otherwise looked real impressive, they were -68 as a team (5th worst in the league)

arsmaster*

You are what your record says you are. It's not like they lost a bunch of games close and otherwise looked real impressive, they were -68 as a team (5th worst in the league)

But they score. Trying to suggest he's even better because his team is at the bottom of the standings is disingenuous.

40 points in 65 games would be good regardless of the team he plays on. They score well enough that this number likely isn't much higher or lower than it would be on any other middle of the pack team.

Their goal differential doesn't matter when you're talking about how much ONE player has scored. I could see if you were making a case for his defensive game and using a poor +/- to state that his +/- was more reflective of the team then I might be able to go by what you;re saying.

But we're talking about a middle of the pack offense in the WHL. The strength of his team isn't effecting his production negatively IMO.

Done, moving on.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
Anyway, I watched him play many times this year. Definitely one of the most noticeable players (not only because he is always the tallest player), every single game. He plays on the first D-pairing, as well as on the PP and PK. Good shot, nice passes, good defensively, makes very few mistakes. I can't really see him make the pros, though, no idea why...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad