LD Ludvig Byström - MODO Örnsköldsvik, SEL (2012 Draft)

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Anyone seen him play? Ranked 8th in the latest european rankings. He sounds like he's similar to Edler but has a more defensive game than offensive

What do people here think of him and his upside?
Where do you expect him to go in this years draft?

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
He has been looking pretty fine now when he have been given a chance with Modo, he plays a simple game in SEL, logging about 10 minutes per game. His stats from Superelit is very good too. He is a allround twoway d-man, with very good hockeysense. He is also among the youngest in the draftclass, born late july.

He might be a name for the first round, especially if he have a good wjc u18.

Fregus

Modo Hockey
Dec 12, 2009
I've never seen him play in the juniors myself but he's got great stats (20 point in 26 games, second most number of points by any d-man in the league) and I've only heard good reports on him.

And now he recently got called up to the SEL due to some injury problems on the senior team and he's been playing pretty solid actually. He's slowly getting more and more ice time and has definitely shown that he already can handle playing in a men's league. He should have secured a spot on the roster by now and I expect him to stay with the senior team for the remaining part of the season.

I can't help but thinking of Enström when I see him play, solid twoway game, great hockey sense and reads the game extremely well. Not the type of d-man who will fire rockets from the blue line but still a real offensive force.

If he gets to stay on the senior team, which he has deserved, I believe he'll get picked late in the first round.

Last edited:

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
hmm from what i had read they made it sound like his offensive instincts were average but he was solid defensively and threw a big hit here and there when in position for that kinda stuff like Edler.
Saw his point totals and thought they were impressive as well.

Was hoping the Nucks could snag him in the 2nd round but by the sounds of it maybe they would have to take him in the 1st as he wouldn't be available late in the 2nd in your guys' opinion?

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
He is one of the guys i hope wild take a good look at if tyey finish in the mid to late with a pick.

Fregus

Modo Hockey
Dec 12, 2009
He seems to be the real deal actually, playing pretty much flawless in the SEL at the moment. Only gets to play like 10 minutes a game though.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Would love to see the Canucks take a good long look at this kid coming into this years draft. He could be our next Edler and we need more tough D-men. On top of all he's from Ornskoldsvik! :yo:

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Seems to compare to Jonas Brodin, drafted 10th overall by Minnesota in 2011. Smart, slick, two way defender.

ManByng

It's Me OilTastic
Aug 4, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta
Proprety of Detroit Red Wings. :sarcasm:

Drafted by Detroit at the 2012 Draft

too bad Detroit gave up their 1st rounder....because he's going to be gone by late 1st or early-mid 2nd round...well before Detroit picks...actually, he'll be picked in the very early 2nd round by the Oilers :sarcasm:

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
His stock has significantly risen lately. From mid 2nd rounder to mid-late 1st rounder.

With that said, I heard his best asset is his passing. His passes are crisp out of the zone.

Manny*

I was really impressed with Brodin at the World Juniors. He reminded me a little bit of Ekman-Larsson. Is that another guy who Bystrom might compare to style-wise?

I'm thinking more and more that the Senators may consider Bystrom for their first round selection. They need a defenceman, and he seems to be the type of guy they'd go after.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
Yeah i know as of now wild are drafting like 6th but i would love for us to end up with him as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad