LD Lucas Johansen (2016, 28th, WSH)

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Ryan's younger brother who is a late '97 birthday. Two-way defenseman who is currently 6'1 but listed at 5'10 on eliteprospects (not updated?). I don't know much on him yet but anyone who has some input is welcome to share.

2012-13 Vancouver NE Chiefs BCMML GP 40, G 3, A 7, P 10, PIM 8

2013-14 Vancouver NE Chiefs BCMML GP 40, G 7, A 17, P 24, PIM 26

2014-15 Kelowna Rockets WHL GP 9, G 0, A 1, P1, PIM 2, +/- 9

Last edited:

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Solid player.

Has spent most of the year on the Rockets top pairing with Madison Bowey. Plays a smart, smooth and composed game. Skates pretty well and obviously has some nice size, with the potential to get bigger.

He's a guy I've already started tracking for 2016.

arsmaster*

Solid player.

Has spent most of the year on the Rockets top pairing with Madison Bowey. Plays a smart, smooth and composed game. Skates pretty well and obviously has some nice size, with the potential to get bigger.

He's a guy I've already started tracking for 2016.

It's weird seeing him as #7...Catch myself thinking, hey, Severson isn't a lefty. Not on Severson's level, obviously, but like you said, his composure makes you forget he's a rookie in the WHL.

Benjo

Mar 25, 2009
Caught the Royals/Rockets game tonight in Victoria, Johansen stood out for me for Kelowna for good reasons. Seems to have a confident first pass outta the zone and he really communicates with his partner when he has his back to the play, I could hear him from the stands. I think he'll be a good one.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
He's a great 2-way guy. Not an offensive juggernaut but has a slick first pass and is very composed. Hard to believe how young he is when he has such a strong mental game with a decently large frame.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Yeah he's really good positionally and skates well which helps. He's 6'2 so the size is good and he just needs to add some weight. Offensively, he looks to have a good first pass, makes smart decisions and a pretty slick player.

Too2train

Nov 28, 2011
Does he got a cannon of shot though? seriously. sounds like he has a good game, just curious how his shot is, no ones really commented on it so far.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Watched him for the first time last week. Really liked his game. I bet he's going to take some huge strides forward over the summer and play a key role on the Rockets next year.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
He will turn into a stud Im sure... its Kelowna haha, they always make dmen studs... oh and not to mention unreal bloodlines

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Watched him live vs Victoria today and I was impressed. Got much better as the game went on.

Smooth skater and a smart player. He's always positioned well and is well aware of his surroundings. Escapability out of pressure was superb for the most part. Moved the puck very well tonight and he set up the 3rd goal for Kelowna after a good job at the right side during that final PP. Also, as another poster mentioned, you can hear him communicating out there as well.

Certainly a solid defender to keep out eyes on for the upcoming draft.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Watched him live vs Victoria today and I was impressed. Got much better as the game went on.

Smooth skater and a smart player. He's always positioned well and is well aware of his surroundings. Escapability out of pressure was superb for the most part. Moved the puck very well tonight and he set up the 3rd goal for Kelowna after a good job at the right side during that final PP. Also, as another poster mentioned, you can hear him communicating out there as well.

Certainly a solid defender to keep out eyes on for the upcoming draft.

Thanks for the report. Haven't watched him this year but really liked what I saw from him last season. Looks like he is playing a bigger role and has taken a step offensively with 13 points in 22 games (most productive d-man on the team). That's nice to see. You don't hear much about him but I think he could be a solid 3rd round pick. Have to try and catch a game of him soon.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Thanks for the report. Haven't watched him this year but really liked what I saw from him last season. Looks like he is playing a bigger role and has taken a step offensively with 13 points in 22 games (most productive d-man on the team). That's nice to see. You don't hear much about him but I think he could be a solid 3rd round pick. Have to try and catch a game of him soon.

Absolutely. He's quietly showcasing his abilities and yes his production thus far is very encouraging, especially for a kid who doesn't break the game open offensively. Impressive to watch so far.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Every time I watch him he just leaves me more impressed every time. 29 pts in 48 games may not suggest he's an offensive juggernaut (he's already a marked improvement on last year's 8 pts in 62 games), but I believe there's room for more offense to grow. He's so creative and smart. Does so many simple, subtle, efficient, yet effective things out there.

To me, this is the type of player that you'll draft in the 3rd round or whatever, but just improves, produces and repeats so forth until he becomes a regular defenseman. Obviously it is premature to accurately claim that but I think his game is so highly cerebral. That goes with some smooth skating and a darn good set of tools.

I don't know how many people have seen this guy in action but I can't be the only one that thinks highly of him.

Last edited:

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Every time I watch him he just leaves me more impressed every time. 29 pts in 48 games may not suggest he's an offensive juggernaut (he's already a marked improvement on last year's 8 pts in 62 games), but I believe there's room for more offense to grow. He's so creative and smart. Does so many simple, suddle, efficient, yet effective things out there.

To me, this is the type of player that you'll draft in the 3rd round or whatever, but just improves, produces and repeats so forth until he becomes a regular defenseman. Obviously it is premature to accurately claim that but I think his game is so highly cerebral. That goes with some smooth skating and a darn good set of tools.

I don't know how many people have seen this guy in action but I can't be the only one that thinks highly of him.
I like him too. He works quickly, plays aggressive defensively, and forces forwards to move the puck quickly. He's everything you described, two-way, smooth skating, with great hockey sense and puck-moving ability. I wish he played a little harder but he has to gain some weight, he has good height though. He models his game after Keith, I think they are similarities there, the way they skate, the way they are always infront of the forward's face with an active stick. He also has a good first pass.

It wouldn't surprised me to see someone take him in the 1st round, he plays for Kelowna, a brother in the NHL, and he has talent.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
69GP 10G 39A 49Pts and the leading D scorer on the Rockets. This kid seems to by flying a bit under the radar. Any update from guys that watch him allot would be appreciated?

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
69GP 10G 39A 49Pts and the leading D scorer on the Rockets. This kid seems to by flying a bit under the radar. Any update from guys that watch him allot would be appreciated?

Well I've only caught one game of him as of recent, but he scored 2 goals in a 3-2 win and was named 1st star in the playoff opener tonight. For a Rockets team that will be sorely missing Merkley, I think this kid can step up in a big way.

Tigerscout

Feb 21, 2016
I absolutely love this kid! I'd take him over some of the other defencemen in the late 1st. Great size with potential to grow, great in his own zone, great skater, thinks the game well and has offensive upside

Steal if he slides past the 65th pick imo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad