LD Lane Hutson - Boston University, NCAA (2022, 62nd, MTL)

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I don't put too much stock when a prospect plays in the final game of the season and lights it up so we'll see how it goes for him next year. 162 lbs is f***ing nuts though for an NHL defensemen. Hope he gets his share of burgers this summer.
yup cant have him getting desharnais'd every game
1713387314361.png

• Haha
Reactions: NyQuil

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I see some similarities in puck control and lateral movement to generate scoring chances, but I think the biggest difference in the two is that Hughes just has that off-the-charts game sense that so few players have (and not a knock on Hutson). Hughes has been able to use his brain to make himself serviceable in the defensive zone to go along with his all-world abilities in the offensive and neutral zones. I think that will be a bigger challenge for Hutson, but that is fine, there is plenty of room for a guy like Hutson to be a very good 2nd pairing defender who drives offense at even strength and is a force on the PP and in 3 on 3 OT.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Yeah, I'm so biased towards Devils prospects and against Habs prospects. Oh wait:

View attachment 853651

You think ice time is an indicator that a player is good defensively? You'd think a Hab fan would know better than anyone, considering that Mike Matheson is 3rd in the league in ice time with 25:33, with 3 more minutes than the next highest Hab.

Lol.

Yeah I'm such a Habs hater, remember how when Caufield only scored 1 goal in his first 30 games in 2021-22, and I piled on him? Oh wait, that didn't happen. The exact opposite happened:

View attachment 853648

And I was pretty darn close on that prediction.
Icetime and the fact that the coach leaned in Lane in all key situations. Most dependable dman in the gold medal team!!

Seamus Casey… not so much…. lpl

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Icetime and the fact that the coach leaned in Lane in all key situations.
Sounds a lot like Mike Matheson.

Most dependable dman in the gold medal team!!

Seamus Casey… not so much…. lpl
Hutson was excellent in the gold medal game, agreed. He got better as the tournament went on. He was very unreliable early in the tournament.

I still don't know why you keep bringing up Seamus Casey. Aside from your insecurities.

Reactions: Wierzbowski426

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Sounds a lot like Mike Matheson.

Hutson was excellent in the gold medal game, agreed. He got better as the tournament went on. He was very unreliable early in the tournament.

I still don't know why you keep bringing up Seamus Casey. Aside from your insecurities.
Sounds alot like prime Subban!

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
Yeah, I'm so biased towards Devils prospects and against Habs prospects. Oh wait:

View attachment 853651

You think ice time is an indicator that a player is good defensively? You'd think a Hab fan would know better than anyone, considering that Mike Matheson is 3rd in the league in ice time with 25:33, with 3 more minutes than the next highest Hab.

Wow. Better than Holtz? How generous. Talk about damning with faint praise.

So you think Matheson's a bad D-man? The guy's running around with about 60pts while leading a D-corps made up of a bunch of kids and an oft injured Savard. Despite his imperfections he's often the only option on the left side.

I love Hutson, but he doesn't have anywhere near the edges that Hughes does.

IMHO Lane's edges are comparable to Hughes however Hutson gets smoked straight line. So yeah Hughes is clearly the better all around skater.

yup cant have him getting desharnais'd every game
View attachment 853961

You have to take into account that he was being picked up by that monster Erik Karlsson. *smh*

I know I know EK's a strong dude. He cracked Beaulieu's sternum with a check.

Maybe because YOU brought him up in Hutson threads multiple times? I mean you have Nemec on your team, why do you keep showing up in Hutson threads to take pot shots? Is it because of your insecurities?

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Wow. Better than Holtz? How generous. Talk about damning with faint praise.
Back then, there were plenty of people who thought Holtz was a Caufield caliber player.

So you think Matheson's a bad D-man? The guy's running around with about 60pts while leading a D-corps made up of a bunch of kids and an oft injured Savard. Despite his imperfections he's often the only option on the left side.
He's not very good defensively, no. Which was my entire point.

Maybe because YOU brought him up in Hutson threads multiple times? I mean you have Nemec on your team, why do you keep showing up in Hutson threads to take pot shots? Is it because of your insecurities?

I didn't bring him up, go back and read for yourself. I only ever replied to people who brought him up.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Despite the difference in skating, I still see Hughes as the best comparable for Hutson. They play much more similarly than some of the other names people have thrown out there.

Now I also get that choosing the likely Norris winner as a comparable will get some people up in arms. But just stylistically, i see a lot of Q. Hughes in Hutson.
In terms of the ozone I'd say yeah they play similarly.

Quinn however has virtually unmatched skating, Hutson unfortunately does not.
Maybe he can develop it, but I doubt Hutson ever gets to the elite Stickwork that quinn has shown defensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad