LD Lane Hutson - Boston University, NCAA (2022, 62nd, MTL)

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
Hutson's hockey sense, shiftiness and stickhandling are off the charts and translated very well to the NHL. I live to watch players like that.

What I find most encouraging so far is that his play off the puck is not as bad as I expected and he handles the NHL physicality relatively well so far. That's key to me. Obviously these are his first games so he had a lot of jump. I want to see what happens during a longer schedule when he inevitably gets caught up on tough shifts by fast, punishing grinders who force you into board battles.

So far he looks like he could be a top 4 in this league and he has all the raw tools that could be refined into a legit first pair D.

We lucked out on that pick so bad! I used to f***ing curse Kulak but it's all good, now. Thanks for your lackluster service, Brett! It was apparently not in vain!

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Except he wasn't. Just a NJD fan trying to justify not selecting him over Seamus Casey! LOL
Yeah, I'm so biased towards Devils prospects and against Habs prospects. Oh wait:

1713355334809.png

Lane Hutson also led Team USA by playing an average of 23:58 per game, which was nearly 3:00 more than the next closest American. Hutson totaled over 167 minutes of TOI in the tournament, nearly 20 minutes more than his next closest teammate.
You think ice time is an indicator that a player is good defensively? You'd think a Hab fan would know better than anyone, considering that Mike Matheson is 3rd in the league in ice time with 25:33, with 3 more minutes than the next highest Hab.

Lol.

Pretty funny to see notorious habs hater commenting about Hutson defensive ability
Yeah I'm such a Habs hater, remember how when Caufield only scored 1 goal in his first 30 games in 2021-22, and I piled on him? Oh wait, that didn't happen. The exact opposite happened:

1713355179957.png

And I was pretty darn close on that prediction.

Reactions: Rozz

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Hutson's hockey sense, shiftiness and stickhandling are off the charts and translated very well to the NHL. I live to watch players like that.

What I find most encouraging so far is that his play off the puck is not as bad as I expected and he handles the NHL physicality relatively well so far. That's key to me. Obviously these are his first games so he had a lot of jump. I want to see what happens during a longer schedule when he inevitably gets caught up on tough shifts by fast, punishing grinders who force you into board battles.

So far he looks like he could be a top 4 in this league and he has all the raw tools that could be refined into a legit first pair D.

We lucked out on that pick so bad! I used to f***ing curse Kulak but it's all good, now. Thanks for your lackluster service, Brett! It was apparently not in vain!

I noted this in his first game too. While Detroit is far from the heaviest team in the league, he was not afraid to engage physically. He played these two games with lots of poise.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
I'd say the only goal you could partially put on him last night was the Sprong one as he just failed to clear at the line. That being said, he also kept him to a shot from below the goal line which should have a 0% chance of going in if Primeau is positionally sound.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Like most 20 year old D, he has warts in his game. But you can see the upside offensively, I wonder if players will stop biting on his point jukes. Never really understood the value of it until last night when it cleared shooting lane so well for the tip.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
So you think that Hutson can reach the level of Quinn Hughes one day?
Just from what I saw the last two games, yes. He’s not any worse defensively than Hughes was for years, and he’s got that X factor while dancing the blue line. Incredible skater too.

I’m a red wings fan and I wish he was shittier so we could have won more convincingly. I dont have any feelings towards the Habs one way or another

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
I love Hutson, but he doesn't have anywhere near the edges that Hughes does, and Hughes has evolved into a legitimately very good defensive player.

Hughes is probably the 2nd best defenseman of his generation. People are setting Hutson up for failure if that's the comparison.

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
I love Hutson, but he doesn't have anywhere near the edges that Hughes does, and Hughes has evolved into a legitimately very good defensive player.

Hughes is probably the 2nd best defenseman of his generation. People are setting Hutson up for failure if that's the comparison.
Quinn Hughes gets ankle broken by Lane easy. You clearly haven't watched Lane play.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Despite the difference in skating, I still see Hughes as the best comparable for Hutson. They play much more similarly than some of the other names people have thrown out there.

Now I also get that choosing the likely Norris winner as a comparable will get some people up in arms. But just stylistically, i see a lot of Q. Hughes in Hutson.

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
If his closest comparison is quinn hughes, MTL fans need to be ready for the tyson barrie chirps until he becomes a legit 1st pairing guy. Not saying that's what I think just trying to prepare them for the half baked drivel that's on the way

Reactions: viceroy and Rozz

Remparts666

Feb 11, 2021
Yeah, I'm so biased towards Devils prospects and against Habs prospects. Oh wait:

View attachment 853651

You think ice time is an indicator that a player is good defensively? You'd think a Hab fan would know better than anyone, considering that Mike Matheson is 3rd in the league in ice time with 25:33, with 3 more minutes than the next highest Hab.

Lol.

Yeah I'm such a Habs hater, remember how when Caufield only scored 1 goal in his first 30 games in 2021-22, and I piled on him? Oh wait, that didn't happen. The exact opposite happened:

View attachment 853648

And I was pretty darn close on that prediction.
This is some kind of ego . You can also go and tell him in private.

danisonfire

2313 Saint Catherine
Jul 2, 2009
This Lane Hutson guy is pretty good. Who would have guessed that the guy with elite agility would be able to find shooting lanes in the NHL. We don't need him to be a shutdown defenseman. We need someone who can generate offense. He is a waterbug on skates.

Go watch the slafkovsky goal from last game in slow motion. Watch Hutson shifting side to side at the point. Then watch it again and compare his shifting to the position of the shot blocker on the other team. He shifted back and forth until the lane (lol) was clear to the net. Each time it was covered he repeated shifting. When the lane was open he released his shot.

This is a high high level mind for the game. When he throws his head left as he explodes right. This is a high IQ play. He is using physics and mind games against his opponents as he is trying to temporarily disrupt their momentum in the wrong direction from where he wants to move. This is a bright boy. Smart af.

Post in thread 'Lane Hutson Part 2' Prospect Info: - Lane Hutson Part 2

"Head up the entire way and reading the play with the puck. There are NHL players thats lack this skill without the puck, nevermind with it. This is how you avoid getting killed at Hutson's size. It doesn't matter how big, strong or talented you are, either, see Eric Lindros. This is the biggest killer of talented kids that don't make it in the NHL".

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I don't know if he'll be Quinn Hughes or Adam Fox....

But does it really matter if he's Fox lite? I don't think so.

He looked amazing in the NCAA and he looked amazing at the NHL. The potential is there. It reminded me a lot of when PK Subban first came up. Just so surprised at how good he was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad