LD Kristians Rubins (2016 undrafted; signed by TOR)

whlscowt

I was watching the Pats/Tigers game today and this kid caught my eye in his 2nd ever WHL game. He didn't have a great game by any stretch of the imagination, in fact, he was probably responsible for most of the Pats goals (Brooks and Steel are a hard assignment) not something really impressive for a defensive defenseman who isn't the most fluid of skaters but he skates well for a big man... but here's why I'm intrigued. He is a terrific puck carrier, has a terrific reach and active stick, and at times he displays very good defensive positioning. I'll be honest, at least 2 goals tonight, his positioning collapsed and he was beat to the puck by Wagner in a foot race but he showed really promising glimmers--especially considering it was just his 2nd game. I think most of it had to do with his size (6'5), and the fact that he was just out muscling kids. He's a project for sure, and there was a reason he went undrafted last year, but I'd definitely keep an eye on him. The way he holds the puck, and controls lanes with his stick, there's something really special.

Interestingly enough in 2015 the NHL Director of European Scouting, Goran Stubbs mentioned 4 players to keep an eye on: Laine, Asplund, Sokolov, and Rubins. Sokolov obviously had a rough year, but the other 2 were big risers last year-- "[Rubins] could very well develop into a first-round talent," Stubb said. "He's a huge, physically strong defenseman, with a very good reach" which is a lot of what I saw.

https://www.nhl.com/news/futures-list-indicates-great-depth-for-2016-nhl-draft/c-774344

Sorry for the longish post--it's late, but he was someone I really think is an interesting prospect and deserves a HF prospects thread. I'm sure he'll be talked about a bit throughout the year.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Rubins was supposed to be sure draftee couple years prior the draft, would love to know where it all went wrong for him.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Rubins missed most of the first 2/3 of the season last year as he came back right before the DEC break.

WHL preseason isn't going to be the best time to critically analyze a player like him. I would question how much he got to train last year, and if he even got enough reps to get to top game speed capacity. Now he's learning to play in a better league where's events happen quicker and play is tighter overall. There's going to be some adjustment time needed on top of making personal gains from being injured.

He should have never been considered a defensive defenseman, but if he picks up his own zone play can be a pretty solid two way defender. As stated, his hands are really good and he can drive plays. His defensive reads will likely get better, but there's some minor concern about how hard he's willing to play.

DraftBuzz ranked 128 in 2016, here's his scouting report from the Draft Guide:
KRISTIANS RUBINS is a big, Latvian born defender who has been in the VIK Vasteras system in Sweden for the past three years. While Rubins missed most of the first 2/3rds of the season only coming back to play a few games before the DEC J20 break, he had a very strong rebound in the last third scoring 11PTS in 18GP and averaging 2.17SOG/GP. Rubins is a very mobile, not speedy, offense pushing defenseman who still handles his business defensively. Opponents take notice when he’s on the ice because he’s huge, is tough to get around, and can surprise by lugging the puck from exit to entry shift after shift. Rubins is a smooth navigator who’s so amped up about creating from the backend he will go too deep too often for the lack of explosiveness he has. His hands are slick, and he can get around with agility that you notice especially when things are going right. Defenders as big as Rubins shouldn’t have the evasiveness he does in tight quarters behind the net. He’s not shy as a shooter, but profiles as a puck rusher who passes well. He’s active in front of his net using his long reach and naggingly forceful stick lifts. Rubins has the potential to piss some scouts off by not skating hard enough after he takes the risk to rush or pinch. He’s very liberal about trusting his forwards to cover his ass. With 31GP pre draft in J20, Rubins has enough SWE street cred to bet on his two way potential.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Rubins was supposed to be sure draftee couple years prior the draft, would love to know where it all went wrong for him.

Injuries, for the most part. I just want to see how Rubīns does at WJC, hopefully he has a good showing and some scout notices him.

whlscowt

He's been good but I feel like there's still tons of room for improvement because he has been sloppy at times. I saw not the last Tigers game, but the 2 before, when I was keeping an eye on the guy who pops, and and Hippo, and Rubins every once in a while caught my eye for mostly good reasons. This player makes some of the best outlet (read:high difficulty) passes, I've seen from a 1st year WHL player. Granted he is a bit older. In the Broncos game, he made a pass I didn't think he'd make by springing Rassell for a breakaway. He probably made a 3-4 in each game, and only got picked off once in both games. The other thing I noticed is, he's really active in front of his own net, clears the crease well, and isn't afraid to get involved with a little bit of the nasty stuff. I feel like he's been solid so far, and he's probably getting some good looks for the NHL draft, but I think the WJC is going to play a huge role in if he can get drafted or not--he needs the exposure, because right now, even on a good Tigers team, he's a little bit buried and hasn't really been dynamic enough to be a total standout this far into the season.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
I've watched 3 of Latvia's games at the World Championships and he has really stood out for me, especially as a 20-year old in a Me's tournament. Looks to have solidified his defensive game, doesn't look out of place offensively, and is a good skater, a lot of size, a lot to like.

Since his initial draft year was played in SWE u20, I'm assuming he's still draft-eligible and not an FA?

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
I've watched 3 of Latvia's games at the World Championships and he has really stood out for me, especially as a 20-year old in a Me's tournament. Looks to have solidified his defensive game, doesn't look out of place offensively, and is a good skater, a lot of size, a lot to like.

Since his initial draft year was played in SWE u20, I'm assuming he's still draft-eligible and not an FA?
He's played in NA since becoming eligible for the draft do he is an FA

Newfoundland

Jun 19, 2016
Newfoundland
Signed with the Marlies, watched him play a few times with the Growlers and I must say I was impressed. Looked like the best player out on the ice beside McAdam.

chamchibap

Jun 15, 2018
Rubins was awful by NHL preseason standards. He looked like a borderline bottom AHL pairing defender.

I think he’s been paired with Liljegren for at least 2 games and all I can remember are a few terrible passes. One that stands out was a pass to Liljegren who was literally 5-10 feet away breaking out of their zone in a fairly low pressure situation. He ROCKETED that pass and turned it over. He must have had some nerves but could get better with time and experience with the marlies

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Newfoundland

Jun 19, 2016
Newfoundland
I think he’s been paired with Liljegren for at least 2 games and all I can remember are a few terrible passes. One that stands out was a pass to Liljegren who was literally 5-10 feet away breaking out of their zone in a fairly low pressure situation. He ROCKETED that pass and turned it over. He must have had some nerves but could get better with time and experience with the marlies
Sounds like nerves to me, he was solid this year but I understand its a faster paced game. How was Elynuik?

chamchibap

Jun 15, 2018
Sounds like nerves to me, he was solid this year but I understand its a faster paced game. How was Elynuik?
Hmm, to be honest I can’t remember any noteworthy plays or misplays. Sorry! Taking care of a newborn so I get distracted and memory is taking a beating. All i remember is...he’s biggggg. He and a lot of the other forwards were forechecking fairly well and kept up the pressure for the majority of last night’s game. I think he wouldn’t look out of place on an nhl 4th line in a few years

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
There was a recent quote from Babs you might be able to find on Elynuik. I'm paraphrasing, but it basically said he impressed, even to the extent that at the beginning of camp they weren't sure he would play any exhibition games.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Nothing special really. He looks like he's adapted relatively well to the system but i really haven't noticed anything that's likely to keep him around the big club. Not quite the chip off the old block(not yet anyway) i was hoping for.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Has an xGF% of 72.9% through two games; highest of any Leaf defender.

Small sample size and he's been sheltered, but looks very intriguing. Moves incredibly well for a guy that's 6'5" and his puck handling is surprising. Looks better in the NHL than he did in the AHL.

As per the Athletic, Leafs brass is really high on him and want to mold him stylistically to Muzzin. Hoping he gets an extended look with Dermott injured and Holl struggling.

Reactions: teddygmr

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad