LD Kevin Bahl - Ottawa 67s, OHL (2018, 55th, ARI, traded to NJ)

hradekbr

Apr 19, 2017
Can we compare Bahl to Colton Parayko? Playing style??
Not quite the offensive upside of Parayko. Smart decision maker though and his hockey IQ has really taken some big steps since his draft year. Excited to hopefully get to see him in the next couple weeks in Ostrava.

Reactions: ZZChris

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
I'm pretty sure every team is like this. And they should be.

This is true. Which is why I find it funny when people bang on about "consensus" this or that (eg "consensus draft position").

Consensus does not mean unanimous, far from it; a consensus decision may stink for all involved, but it was the one people were able to agree upon. Privately, or as various groups, opinions may be very different from the "consensus".

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Yotes suck at drafting so that’s not saying much
AZ also had Söderström at 3...

AZ (Chayka) clearly has its own mind when it comes to drafting and doesn't put much stock in "consensus" draft rankings.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
In Chayka era drafting is looking to be a lot better. He hasn’t been in charge in many years, but Maccelli, Prosverov and Jenik are looking like steals. Soderstrom and Hayton are progressing well. Chychrun were a fantastic pick for us.
We’ve sucked for so long and our best prospects are Hayton and Soderstrom. I’m a big fan of both but this team isn’t set up too well for the future and we have little depth in the prospect pool, especially at F

Reactions: NotLeddy

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
We’ve sucked for so long and our best prospects are Hayton and Soderstrom. I’m a big fan of both but this team isn’t set up too well for the future and we have little depth in the prospect pool, especially at F

Well, that's the result of years of brutal drafting - the 2015 draft bring a particular eyesore. 2015 could have set us up for a decade but the fail there haunts us now.

After that the Chayka drafts are not really mature enough for us to conclude yet. They may not be eye-poppingly outstanding but they are not bottom-dredgingly terrible either.

Not every year is as strong as 2015 and sometimes you simply have to go with what is in front of you.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
I had him ranked slightly higher than his draft position. Bahl can read the game and make plays, he isn't just big. But his instinct and mobility aren't high enough to turn him into something special. He doesn't have that meanstreak that could turn him into a physical monster either, using his size to his full advantage is something he is improving upon. He likely will turn into a valuable bottom pairing defensive defenseman down the road.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
At this point the best chance he has to be an impact offensively is make his slap shot elite in the offseason. At 6'7 240 with a little coaching there is no reason he shouldn't be able to get a 98+MPH slapshot.

He has this hit down, he closes fast.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
At this point the best chance he has to be an impact offensively is make his slap shot elite in the offseason. At 6'7 240 with a little coaching there is no reason he shouldn't be able to get a 98+MPH slapshot.

He has this hit down, he closes fast.

Reminds me of Zadorov punishing Scheifele.

For someone who has watched him a lot, how is his skating? Will it hold him back at the next level?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad