LD Kaiden Guhle - Edmonton Oil Kings, WHL (2020, 16th MTL)

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
He has only 1 more year to get drafted. If he continues being in this position he is not gonna be a 1st rounder.

5 of 8 defenseman from the Raiders will be in their 20 years old season, next year. He will have enough playing time to showcase himself for the draft. Shouldn't be a concern.

Edit: 5 of 6 regular right now will be in their 20 years old season next year, meaning they will get rid of some. He is the only regular Dman under the age of 19 right now. He's gaining a lot of experience.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I watched the Raiders 6-3 loss against the Blades. Guhle was definitely one of the team's better players. His edgework stood out, he skated the puck up the ice nicely, passed well, and was solid defensively. What most impressed me was his physicality.

Last edited:

PuckProspects

Jul 23, 2018

Has limited offensive potential but his value is in his defense and physical play. Will go somewhere in the 1st probably between 13-20

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Yeah he'll never be a PP guy in the nhl but he is good at moving the puck and could play a Vlasic type role except way more physical. Guhle is still somewhat lean so when he fills out even more he's going to be such a force and he should finally have the #1 dman role for PA next year. He's one of the best skaters in this years class and can shutdown anyone so somewhere in the teens is a good spot for him. All 3 of Guhle, Schneider and Sanderson should be great minute eaters who teams will covet. Don't think they're top 10 worthy with the high end forwards this year but I'm sure some team will want a dman enough.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
He's got a great shot and is good at getting it on net, so I do think he can be a regular 40-50 pt. guy in his prime. I think his offensive potential is underrated.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
He's got a great shot and is good at getting it on net, so I do think he can be a regular 40-50 pt. guy in his prime. I think his offensive potential is underrated.
In the 2018-2019 season only 30 defensemen reached 40 points. Only 13 hit 50.

Guhle won’t be one of those guys. I have him, Sanderson, and Schneider in a dead heat as very similar players who can skate really well, defend really intelligently, and not at all be an offensive hindrance in any team’s top-4. But I don’t think any of these guys will quarterback a first powerplay unit or greatly exceed 30 points over their careers.

I’d be happy to be wrong, too. Big fan of the kid.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Yeah he'll never be a PP guy in the nhl but he is good at moving the puck and could play a Vlasic type role except way more physical. Guhle is still somewhat lean so when he fills out even more he's going to be such a force and he should finally have the #1 dman role for PA next year. He's one of the best skaters in this years class and can shutdown anyone so somewhere in the teens is a good spot for him. All 3 of Guhle, Schneider and Sanderson should be great minute eaters who teams will covet. Don't think they're top 10 worthy with the high end forwards this year but I'm sure some team will want a dman enough.
Who do you prefer between Guhle and Schneider?

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Who do you prefer between Guhle and Schneider?
very slight edge to Schneider over Guhle. Schneider is a little more advanced defensively and physical but he's also a late bday so he's had one more year in the WHL. Guhle has a slight edge skating with their shot+skill levels close. Guhle is also a little more slight so as he fills out he'll be even tougher to go up against. Schneider being a RHD is also a slight factor. Personally have Schneider 15th and Guhle 17th for my top 50 atm. See both as realistic #3s with #2 upside in the NHL who put up mid 20-low 30 point totals and take on a tough 25ish minutes while making life hell for the opponents every one of those minutes. Sanderson also fits a similar profile but with how tough it's been lately to find these modern horses I could see teams take them closer to 10, maybe even top 10 like Seider.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
In the 2018-2019 season only 30 defensemen reached 40 points. Only 13 hit 50.

Guhle won’t be one of those guys. I have him, Sanderson, and Schneider in a dead heat as very similar players who can skate really well, defend really intelligently, and not at all be an offensive hindrance in any team’s top-4. But I don’t think any of these guys will quarterback a first powerplay unit or greatly exceed 30 points over their careers.

I’d be happy to be wrong, too. Big fan of the kid.

I think Guhle can be one of those 30 defensemen. He likes to jump up in the play, moreso than Sanderson and Schneider. He's a talented shooter for a defenseman, I think his shot accuracy is better than the other two, and I think he will continue to work on this. He also played on a team that plays a tough defensive game, not a lot of run and gun with Prince Albert, so if he played on a team with a looser system he would have had more points. I think with Guhle's heavy shot, and his ability to find the net, he's also gonna get a lot of assists off rebounds in the nhl. He still looks skinny even though he's around 190 lbs. So as he fills out and gets stronger, his shot is gonna be even more powerful.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

I actually wouldn't be surprised if all 3 of these guys went in the first round.

Sanderson is going forsure and the other 2 guys have very high floors.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
yeah all 3 are going in the 1st for sure and doubtful they make it past the teens. It's obviously really tough to tell exactly where but with the late hype Sanderson has he's my bet to crack the top 10(think Devils at 10 pre lotto), Schneider 12 to Jets as a big buff replacement and Guhle 14 to Panthers but again we'll just have to wait and see.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I think Guhle can be one of those 30 defensemen. He likes to jump up in the play, moreso than Sanderson and Schneider. He's a talented shooter for a defenseman, I think his shot accuracy is better than the other two, and I think he will continue to work on this. He also played on a team that plays a tough defensive game, not a lot of run and gun with Prince Albert, so if he played on a team with a looser system he would have had more points. I think with Guhle's heavy shot, and his ability to find the net, he's also gonna get a lot of assists off rebounds in the nhl. He still looks skinny even though he's around 190 lbs. So as he fills out and gets stronger, his shot is gonna be even more powerful.
I really hope you’re right. With the kind of defenceman Guhle projects to be, if he becomes a regular 40-point guy that’s the kind of player who will get Norris votes.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I really hope you’re right. With the kind of defenceman Guhle projects to be, if he becomes a regular 40-point guy that’s the kind of player who will get Norris votes.

I just think he's slightly underrated right now. He's made big improvements in certain aspects of his game just from the start of the season, and I think that will continue.

Reactions: Dominance

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
yeah all 3 are going in the 1st for sure and doubtful they make it past the teens. It's obviously really tough to tell exactly where but with the late hype Sanderson has he's my bet to crack the top 10(think Devils at 10 pre lotto), Schneider 12 to Jets as a big buff replacement and Guhle 14 to Panthers but again we'll just have to wait and see.

I'm hoping the Flames can grab a good heavy 2 way DMan, so hoping Guhle there when they pick.
What do you know of Wallinder?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Guhle or Schneider?

Anybody have any comments on where Shakir Mukhamamadullin stacks up against either of these WHL Dmen?

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
very slight edge to Schneider over Guhle. Schneider is a little more advanced defensively and physical but he's also a late bday so he's had one more year in the WHL. Guhle has a slight edge skating with their shot+skill levels close. Guhle is also a little more slight so as he fills out he'll be even tougher to go up against. Schneider being a RHD is also a slight factor. Personally have Schneider 15th and Guhle 17th for my top 50 atm. See both as realistic #3s with #2 upside in the NHL who put up mid 20-low 30 point totals and take on a tough 25ish minutes while making life hell for the opponents every one of those minutes. Sanderson also fits a similar profile but with how tough it's been lately to find these modern horses I could see teams take them closer to 10, maybe even top 10 like Seider.

Hi . I know you follow the WHL. How many times would you say you've seen Schneider and Guhle play? What are your remarks on the WHL GMs voting Schneider to the 1st team and Guhle not being on either first nor 2nd team?

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
I've haven't seen as much of Wallinder+Mukhamadullin(both Hlinka+5 Nations, 2 MHL games for Muk) but for me Wallinder has a similar upside as the 3 teens dmen(Guhle/Sanderson/Schneider) as he's big and can skate but is way more raw and I question his hockey IQ at times. Now I have to take that with a grain of salt as I've only seen him in tourney form where he might not have great chemistry with his partner+line mates. Also think Wallinder has a lot further way to go with his puck skill and more of a project. Same goes for Mukhamadullin but don't see quite the upside of the others as his skating isn't quite on their level. Similar to Zadorov for me and will also need more time to develop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad