LD Josh Morrissey (2013, 13th, WPG)

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Had a chance to watch him last night and came away more than impressed. He reminds me of someone like a Mark Giordano or Keith Yandle type of player.

He's a great skater and has a flawless stride to go along with his 6'0 frame. His offensive skills are obvious as he makes a strong first pass and also has a very strong slap shot. He showed that offensive skill off as he quarterbacked the Raiders first powerplay unit.

The maturity of his defensive game was what stood out most to be in the game though. He made several nice positioning plays, showing that he has a firm grasp of using his body and reach to his advantage.

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.com/2011/09/pa-raiders-defenceman-josh-morrissey.html

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Morrissey is very impressive, he is a very heavy open ice hitter, good skater, excellent defensive play, great puck carrier and great at adding offense from the point and being the 4th forward.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
The Dub is starting to dominate as far as producing defensive talent.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Bump.

Expecting big things from him at the upcoming Ivan Hlinka tourney and also next season on a PA team that should improve somewhat.

He comes in 5th on my WHL rankings for the 2013 NHL Draft.

#5 - Josh Morrissey - D - Prince Albert Raiders

Morrissey exploded onto the WHL scene last year with a very good rookie season for the Raiders. The two way defenceman caught my eye early in the year, being the best player on the ice in a pre-season game between the Blades and Raiders in September of 2011. He continued to impress throughout the year, posting 10 goals and 38 points in his rookie campaign on a last place Prince Albert club. He played top minutes on both the PP, PK and wasn't given a ton of help out there. But, that experience will surely go a long way for him this coming season. Morrissey is definitely considered a two way defenceman. He's got a good shot, can pass and skate the puck and also plays with a great edge to his game. He's very passionate about the sport and it shows in his play and in his training. I was very close to ranking him ahead of Pulock in this preliminary list, so that goes to show how much I expect out of him going into next season. He's had the chance to get some great experience internationally, playing for Team Canada at the U-18 World Championships in April and I fully expect him to be a top two defender at the upcoming Ivan Hlinka tournament. As for a player comparison, think of a guy like Mark Giordano. Expect this kid to make some noise and fully justify a top 15 selection in 2013.

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.ca/search/label/Josh Morrissey

DKQ

Generic User Title
Jun 17, 2012
Press Box
From this description he sounds a lot like Mathew Dumba. What's the main difference, in your opinion?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
From this description he sounds a lot like Mathew Dumba. What's the main difference, in your opinion?

Dumba is much more explosive, a better skater, has a better shot and is much more physical.

Morrissey is more of an all-round D. Does many things well and isn't feast or famine like Dumba is.

Not really similar in playing style.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Morrissey off to a great start this season, watched both his games live. Very physical and aggressive in game one. Last night he had 3 assists and was great with the puck.

The kid really does it all. Definitely needs to be in talks to be a top 15 pick.

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
Morrissey off to a great start this season, watched both his games live. Very physical and aggressive in game one. Last night he had 3 assists and was great with the puck.

The kid really does it all. Definitely needs to be in talks to be a top 15 pick.

I don't think top 10 is out of the question, when Ive watched him play, he's just so dynamic and as well physical like you said. I don't think there's a huge gap potential wise between him and Rielly

DangerMan

@danlizee
Jun 4, 2007
Edmonton
whlthoughts.blogspot.com
Do you think Morrissey has any chance of getting selected higher than Pulock?

Who is more dynamic?

- Sure there is a chance, especially considering they are two very different style defensemen. Someone might be looking for an extreme puckmoving, mobile defender and Morrissey might be one of the best ones on draft day.

- Morrissey is likely more dynamic.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
- Sure there is a chance, especially considering they are two very different style defensemen. Someone might be looking for an extreme puckmoving, mobile defender and Morrissey might be one of the best ones on draft day.

- Morrissey is likely more dynamic.

Just to clarify for comparison, how would you describe Pulock then?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Do you think Morrissey has any chance of getting selected higher than Pulock?

Who is more dynamic?

For me, Pulock is probably a bit more dynamic just because I think his shot is a game-changing skill and he's a better skater overall.

Neither of them play a terribly 'in-your-face' type of game, so it's hard to really say but if I had to I would say Pulock.

DangerMan

@danlizee
Jun 4, 2007
Edmonton
whlthoughts.blogspot.com
Just to clarify for comparison, how would you describe Pulock then?

Pulock is more of a station to station type player. Uses more cerebral play as opposed to Morrissey who has his skating to get him out of trouble. The differences between the two are pretty small. Pulock has a harder shot and is bigger, while Morrissey has more mobility. Pulock, I can easily see as being a 25 minute a night dman playing in all situations at the pro level. Morrissey may be able to as well, but that debate is still open in my opinion. Both are very smart hockey players.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
The kid is so solid. I've only seen him play x2 live, but he has the speed, physicality, and hockey sense to succeed. I could definitely see him in top 10 talk... (obvioulsy season results pending). I'd love to see him wearing the Flaming C. (I'm sure he would too.. Calgary kid.)

________

Just saw he will be playing in the dome Oct.5th. I'll buy my ticket now.

Last edited:

R S

Sep 18, 2006
The kid is so solid. I've only seen him play x2 live, but he has the speed, physicality, and hockey sense to succeed. I could definitely see him in top 10 talk... (obvioulsy season results pending). I'd love to see him wearing the Flaming C. (I'm sure he would too.. Calgary kid.)

________

Just saw he will be playing in the dome Oct.5th. I'll buy my ticket now.

Speaking of Calgary, he actually reminds me a lot of a guy like Mark Giordano.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
More on Morrissey, who can definitely become a top-3 defenseman in this 2013 class:

Josh Morrissey may just be scratching the surface as well.

Playing on a bad team last season, Morrissey really stood out from the crowd in Prince Albert. He served as part stay-at-home defensive stalwart, part puck rushing offensive dynamo as well as part physical enforcer from the backend for the Raiders last season. He did everything for them and really stood out as far as 2013 eligible prospects went last year.

The former Calgary Royals standout is smart and can truly do it all but needs to add more strength to be able to take his game to the next level.

http://futureconsiderations.ca/top-talent-litters-blueline-in-2013-draft/

“(He’s) my favourite prospect out of the WHL this year,” Future Considerations Western Hockey League scout Zenon Herasymiuk said, “Morrissey is a smooth skating, offensive defenseman that can work the power play and has the athleticism and smarts to be effective defensively. Morrissey will be the head of the raiders back end this year and will have every opportunity to shine in many roles.”

http://futureconsiderations.ca/raiders-rebound-to-be-led-by-morrissey/

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Speaking of Calgary, he actually reminds me a lot of a guy like Mark Giordano.

I've also used this comparison. I think if he hits his ceiling he will be slightly better offensively, skating, and hockey IQ.... Probably the same physically.

Last edited:

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Dominated the game tonight...

1G 2A.

He was a -2 on the night, but wouldn't say either was his fault. Love this prospect.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Watched his two games prior to last night and he was simply not very good in those two outings, despite the Raiders getting results in the win column. He made bad plays with the puck and was out of position often.

Good to see he bounced back from those outings with a strong one last night.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
Cody and Zenon Herasymiuk, our other WHL scout, have nothing but great things to say about this kid.

We managed to wrangle Morrissey for a bit of a Q&A a week ago.

“Like all players, I’d like to improve in all areas of my game. Sidney Crosby says that every day. One of the concerns is my strength and my size and I’m working every day to try to get stronger and improve in that facet of my game.â€

http://futureconsiderations.ca/morrissey-gets-jumpstart-on-draft-year/

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
Reminds me more of Jake Gardiner. Haven't seen the physical edge that others have eluded to.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Reminds me more of Jake Gardiner. Haven't seen the physical edge that others have eluded to.

Youtube him.

He has some huge open ice hits... Reminds me of a Giordano/Kronwall mix.

Fights/hits/scores/skates well...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad