LD Joey Laleggia - Univ of Denver, NCHC (2012, 123rd overall, Edmonton)

Ian Esplen

Mar 8, 2007
calgary
Hey I've seen this kid play a few time and I think he has huge pro potential. I know he's small but ellis was small and he went 1st rd last year. now I'm not saying Laleggia is where ellis was last year but imo long term he could be just as good. He's a bit small right now at 5"9ish 170 but his dad is 6"1 so I bet he gets to 5"11-6"0 which is more then big enough to for the nhl. He plays with 3 guys who are ranked in beau bennett, luke curadi, and isaac macleod so I know scouts have seen him but why are they down on him. He's a good skater who to me always looks like the smartest player on the ice. he put up 65 pts in 54 games as one of the younger D in the bchl so he's got skill. He's solid in his own end and from everything i've read is a good kid. why isn't he ranked in the top 210 even.

imo he's got the same future upside as kabrele or boyle in 5ish years

few article on the kid, seems like he's a winner to me

http://www.canada.com/burnabynow/news/sports/story.html?id=64341f23-02b5-4212-806c-d11f42c0a0c5

http://www.canada.com/burnabynow/news/sports/story.html?id=4ec4e327-8541-41c7-8e2f-592805cd4070

http://www.bchockey.com/story/3/BCHL Report/3570/Laleggias_Star_on_the_Rise_in_Major_Midget.aspx

Ian Esplen

Mar 8, 2007
calgary
I see him listed as 5"9 150pounds, not exactly nhl size..

he's 17 years old i'm sure he'll grow another 2 inch's atleast and put on 40lbs in 2-3 years. I see him being no smaller then 5"11 190

I know size is a concern and I'm not saying he should be ranked top 50 but he's not even in the top 210 in NA. I think thats a joke if he puts up 65pts in 54 games in a decent league

LiffLaff

Crazy? Me?
Feb 22, 2010
Vardal
I think scouts would see it as a concerne even if he was a forward. He's just too small and to light. Just look at Mats Aasen, he had some of the same skills as he has now at 18, and was tearing up the Norwegian leauge, but his size stopped him from getting drafted, even in the last round

Ian Esplen

Mar 8, 2007
calgary
I think scouts would see it as a concerne even if he was a forward. He's just too small and to light. Just look at Mats Aasen, he had some of the same skills as he has now at 18, and was tearing up the Norwegian leauge, but his size stopped him from getting drafted, even in the last round

he's also like 5"6 too isn't he, thats a smurf compared to joey who's 5"9 or 10 now.

aasen was smaller and he had a couple more things against him that arn't against players now. when he was draft eligable (05 and 06)the league was just coming out of the lock out and wouldn't look at small players. now we have a 5"9 D going 1st rd. aasen is also from norway which isn't exactly know for putting out nhlers and isn't really scouted so he was likly not veiwed enough to pick. Joey plays in the bchl which gets viewed by every team and still he's getting passed over, I'm just wondering why.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
IMHO...it's all about job security for the scouts.
Ranking a small player too high and if he's drafted and signed then gets injured the scout and GM needs to provide answers why did they draft a "runt" (talking like a peeved owner). Signing him as a free agent is a lot safer way to go.
Also small players flaws are always examined and talked about a lot more!

As for Ellis....(there's an exception to my opinion above) Ellis was the leader on the number 1 ranked team in Canada, then he was a WJHC stand-out then he topped it off with a Memorial Cup.
That type of resume would garner the scouts and GM some leeway.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
Honestly, I cant comment about Lallegia. I dont know a lot about BCHL players. But I can do the same comment for RW Joey Benik, the top scorer in high school with 54 goals and 38 assists in only 26 games with St-Francis HS. He was nominated for Mr Minnesota (won by bjugstad)... I dont know but a player with more than 2 goals/game average should diserve more attention. He's 5"10"-175... its not that bad

I heard that Benik is small player that might have trouble finding that open space at the next level and maybe dont have "elite speed" but in the finale when you check his assets, its maybe Jeff Skinner 2.0

The Exiled One

Sep 1, 2006
State of Hockey
www.dahuskies.com
Honestly, I cant comment about Lallegia. I dont know a lot about BCHL players. But I can do the same comment for RW Joey Benik, the top scorer in high school with 54 goals and 38 assists in only 26 games with St-Francis HS. He was nominated for Mr Minnesota (won by bjugstad)... I dont know but a player with more than 2 goals/game average should diserve more attention. He's 5"10"-175... its not that bad

I heard that Benik is small player that might have trouble finding that open space at the next level and maybe dont have "elite speed" but in the finale when you check his assets, its maybe Jeff Skinner 2.0
Benik won't get drafted for good reason. As much as I want him to succeed, he's just too much of a gamble for an NHL team to waste a pick. Hell, even most colleges passed on him.

It's strange that you happen to have brought up Benik's name in this thread, as he'll probably be Laleggia's teammate in Penticton next season.

Ian Esplen

Mar 8, 2007
calgary
Benik won't get drafted for good reason. As much as I want him to succeed, he's just too much of a gamble for an NHL team to waste a pick. Hell, even most colleges passed on him.

It's strange that you happen to have brought up Benik's name in this thread, as he'll probably be Laleggia's teammate in Penticton next season.

I think Laleggia will be at UNH next year.

what makes you say benik is going to penticton? why wouldn't he stay closer to home in the ushl. penticton is a great little town and they prep kids for college as good as any.

The Exiled One

Sep 1, 2006
State of Hockey
www.dahuskies.com
I think Laleggia will be at UNH next year.

what makes you say benik is going to penticton? why wouldn't he stay closer to home in the ushl. penticton is a great little town and they prep kids for college as good as any.
The St. Cloud Times reported that he's going to Penticton. Fred Harbinson was an assistant coach for SCSU, and Motzko trusts him with his recruits. Benik, Milan, and Holka are all SCSU recruits who'll be in Penticton next season. It's a shame we couldn't land Bennett.

EDIT: http://www.bclocalnews.com/okanagan_similkameen/pentictonwesternnews/sports/vees/news/81020512.html

Last edited:

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

he's 17 years old i'm sure he'll grow another 2 inch's atleast and put on 40lbs in 2-3 years. I see him being no smaller then 5"11 190

I know size is a concern and I'm not saying he should be ranked top 50 but he's not even in the top 210 in NA. I think thats a joke if he puts up 65pts in 54 games in a decent league

I don't know a lot of 17 year olds who put on 2 inches...

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
I love how people always think a short kid will definitely grow 2-3 more inches in a few years. Do you know how rare that is? After 17 or 18, you're lucky to grow up to an inch, let alone 2 or 3. I know there are some exceptions like Zetterberg, Penner, Helm, etc, but it's really uncommon to significantly grow after that age.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

I love how people always think a short kid will definitely grow 2-3 more inches in a few years. Do you know how rare that is? After 17 or 18, you're lucky to grow up to an inch, let alone 2 or 3. I know there are some exceptions like Zetterberg, Penner, Helm, etc, but it's really uncommon to significantly grow after that age.

Yeah I never understood that... I'm 18 and I've been 6' since I was 16 years old... I'm done growing... If a kid who's 17-22 years old puts on 2 inches it'd be EXTREMELY uncommon.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

you mentioned his father's size--how tall is his mother? that also factors into any growth spurts

Also, you theory about him growing two to three inches needs to be backed up with x-rays--I stopped growing at 17 and I am the same height 6 foot 2

also there are 5-9 160lbs guys listed in the 100 range--so there could be other reasons why

john g

Mar 6, 2002
Korbi
as a UNH alumnus, I can say this with pride........probably why he's not ranked is, he's going to UNH. jokingly known as the place where prospects go to die.

;)

Ian Esplen

Mar 8, 2007
calgary
as a UNH alumnus, I can say this with pride........probably why he's not ranked is, he's going to UNH. jokingly known as the place where prospects go to die.

;)

he has a knack for finding himself on very good teams so maybe they'll turn it around.

JVR seemed like he was fine there

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site

I bet you he doesn't grow 2 more inches

Darius Dangleaitis

Padowan Kovalchuk
Jul 31, 2006
Morristown, NJ
great place isn't it? my dad started bringing me to hockey games there when i was a kid, while he was getting his doctorate. have been hooked on UNH and it's ever growing annual disappointment ever since.

Hahaha yeah. Three Hockey East regular season titles in the four years I was here but that's about as good as it's been.

Awesome campus and school though. I love it.

studley49

Oct 8, 2003
Flinton/Toronto, ON
Visit site
I think the more ludicrous statement is putting 40 lbs - of good weight - in 2 years.

If any 18 year old even has the body-type to pull that off, my money's on them using HGH or worse...

TheLastShift

Canada
Nov 14, 2007
looks like the kid is having another solid season with Penticton. Considering its the top Tier 1 Junior A League in Canada and that it sends more Canadian kids over to NCAA schools then anywhere in the country I think this kid has potential. It will all depend on how he does with Denver U over the next few years. Matt Gilroy was small when he first went to Boston U and look what happened there. There is always hope. He has one thing going for him, he is from Burnaby, and we all know another kid who came from there, also named Joe.

Season to date:

GP - 39
G - 18
A - 36
P - 54

I only follow this because a Montreal prospect plays on the team but figured I'd add to this post. Someone will use a draft pick on him in the 2011 Draft.

arsmaster*

I think the more ludicrous statement is putting 40 lbs - of good weight - in 2 years.

If any 18 year old even has the body-type to pull that off, my money's on them using HGH or worse...

Its pretty easy to put on 20lbs, when I was 19, I went from 159 to 179lbs in 3 months, just lifting weights, no supplements.

This kid will get drafted, too talented, surprised he wasnt signed as a FA.

BluechipBulletin

Mar 22, 2011
www.bluechipbulletin.com
It's nice to see someone else talking about Laleggia finally.

I don't know a lot of 17 year olds who put on 2 inches...

Jamieson Oleksiak was 6'0" 170lbs when he was 16, 6'6" 230lbs at 17, and 6'7" 244lbs at 18.

Laleggia is 5'10" 180lbs right now. His size is fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad