LD Joakim Ryan (2012, 198th, SJS)

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Joakim was drafted as an overager back in 2012. There were some concerns about his skating. Having watched him for the last 2 years now I can sufficiently say that he will be an NHL player.

He has blossomed into a two-way defenseman that uses his stick well to break up plays. He is so good at using the boards and lateral movement to escape situations that most defensmen aren't capable of doing. He is an excellent puck mover and has a nice shot. His one minor concern is his top speed, but he gets a lot of power in his stride extension and is very good at skating backwards. He is the biggest gem for Sharks fans and is easily our 2nd best defensive prospect. I have seen him 8 times this year and I have come away impressed each time. Joakim is far and away the Barracuda's best defenseman (ahead of Mueller/Stollery) but with how well he's playing, he might not be there for much longer.

I think is likely upside is as a 3rd pairing player that will quarterback the 2nd powerplay unit, but I can see him easily surpassing these expectations. My friend (who used to own this account) has seen him a lot more than I have and has more praise for him than I do. From when I've seen him he seems to have a great head on his shoulders as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad