LD Jesper Sellgren - Modo, Allsvenskan (2018, 166th, CAR)

Hockeyfrilla

Swe prospect fanatic
May 25, 2008
Sweden
Jesper Sellgren, D, Sweden

The 5-foot-11, 169-pound prospect is an under-the-radar, undersized defenseman with a lot of upside who was passed over at the NHL Draft in June. He played a poised, patient game paired with Gustav Lindstrom (Detroit Red Wings) and confidently moved the puck when pressured. Sellgren, had one assist, five shots on goal and a plus-5 rating. He has seven points (two goals, five assists) in 24 games for MODO in Allsvenskan.
"He can skate, move the puck, play with grit but he is good defensively too," Sweden coach Tomas Monten said. "He's a Tobias Enstrom type of player."

5 breakout players from World Junior Championship

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
He had an excellent tournament, was a solid steady presence for Sweden. Knew exactly what his role was and didn't try to do too much.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Weird. On my shortlist, I had him listed as a 2018 eligible. Which is technically correct, but not for the right reasons. In any event, he caught my eye. He probably played almost three of the final four minutes against the United States to lock that down. I'm trying to figure out where he tops out on the Stralman-Hjalmarsson-Dahlbeck scale...I'm thinking it's Hjalmarsson-ish. Definitely worthy of a draft pick this time around.

I would have liked to see even more of him, particularly in light of player #27 playing...Morevare or whatever his name was...he's a horrific player who did not belong at that level of competition.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Given his performance at the world juniors I think we may see a NHL team take a chance on him soon, could be a solid 2nd/3rd pairing defenseman.

Mar 14, 2015
With his performance in the WJC we should see a team taking a chance on him in the draft. Actually quite impressed by his play.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
He was pretty good, a really nice surprise, but become insanely overrated at the end of the tournament. I would say he was by far the best d-men among swedens 98 d-men, but that say more about how bad the other 98 dmen is. He was still step below the 99 and 00 d-men.

He could make it to NHL, but i hardly think he will become a star. WJC preformance weight very little. Remember Gustav Olofsson? He had a pretty dominant WJC preformance, but have struggle big to even make it to NHL as a regular.

PuckPoise

May 25, 2011
He was pretty good, a really nice surprise, but become insanely overrated at the end of the tournament. I would say he was by far the best d-men among swedens 98 d-men, but that say more about how bad the other 98 dmen is. He was still step below the 99 and 00 d-men.

He could make it to NHL, but i hardly think he will become a star. WJC preformance weight very little. Remember Gustav Olofsson? He had a pretty dominant WJC preformance, but have struggle big to even make it to NHL as a regular.

Even if I agree with you on the other part most draft picks don't come as far as Olofsson by that age.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
curious about this guy, of folks who have seen a good amount of him. think he's getting drafted this year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad