LD Jaynen Rissling - Calgary Hitmen, WHL (2012 , 197th overall, Washington)

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
At that size, I think he'll be selected higher than his ranking indicates.

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
Not there mentally. Makes a lot of questionable decisions with the puck. Skating isn't great-gets beat wide too much. Not the worst puck mover, but is prone to turn pucks over.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Not there mentally. Makes a lot of questionable decisions with the puck. Skating isn't great-gets beat wide too much. Not the worst puck mover, but is prone to turn pucks over.

For a guy that's a late '93, meaning he probably only has one more year in junior if he gets drafted, that's not a great sign. But his tools are there. He had a big growth spurt and bulked up so maybe it can be chalked up to growing pains. Guys with that size are always given the benefit of the doubt. Brett Ponich didn't look terribly amazing in 2009 but still got taken second round.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Was gaining confidence and playing shutdown minutes with veteran Collin Bowman before getting hurt. Showed pretty big improvement from beginning of the year. Very good size, physical and solid mobility. Not afraid to drop the gloves. Decent pro potential with toolkit and potential as a physical depth dman.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I haven't seen the above-mentioned mental mistakes. The only flaw in his current game is overall foot speed. He's a big guy and his skating has taken a step back this year. Like I've said in the past, he seemed to have grown and added weight this past summer and his skating suffered. He looked a step slower than he did as a 16 year old.

I love the frame, love his ability to pass the puck and he reads the play very well. I'm sure his skating will come around.

I see big value here. If he goes outside of the top 90, some team is going to get a great pick.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I haven't seen the above-mentioned mental mistakes. The only flaw in his current game is overall foot speed. He's a big guy and his skating has taken a step back this year. Like I've said in the past, he seemed to have grown and added weight this past summer and his skating suffered. He looked a step slower than he did as a 16 year old.

I love the frame, love his ability to pass the puck and he reads the play very well. I'm sure his skating will come around.

I see big value here. If he goes outside of the top 90, some team is going to get a great pick.

A lot like Ryan O'Byrne?

DangerMan

@danlizee
Jun 4, 2007
Edmonton
whlthoughts.blogspot.com
His frame will be enticing to the scouts, but his mobility is lacking. Decent first pass, does a good job of keeping the front of the net clear, but has a tough time dealing with speed. Offensive upside is pretty low. Not as physical as one would like considering his size. I see him as a 6th or 7th round project.

countrcultur

Jan 10, 2012
His frame will be enticing to the scouts, but his mobility is lacking. Decent first pass, does a good job of keeping the front of the net clear, but has a tough time dealing with speed. Offensive upside is pretty low. Not as physical as one would like considering his size. I see him as a 6th or 7th round project.

i think his offensive upside is high. once his skating improves he should be able to use some of the tools that he already shows more effectively. he is a good passer on the PP or when the offence gets established. he rushes a lot, but smartly. i think a lot hinges on his skating and with him having recently grown i think his skating will catch up. he has decent technique and moves laterally decent, just has a big slow stride with seemingly not a bunch of leg strength.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com

shotvalley

Jan 18, 2010
Capitals 7th round pick. Is now a captain of Hitmen. In 22 games 6G + 13A and 26PIM with +2.

Has anyone seen Rissling play lately.. is his skating improved? How does the overall game look? NHL player to compare for?

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Capitals 7th round pick. Is now a captain of Hitmen. In 22 games 6G + 13A and 26PIM with +2.

Has anyone seen Rissling play lately.. is his skating improved? How does the overall game look? NHL player to compare for?

I've been out to a couple games this year. He does everything for the Hitmen this season, logs a ton of ice time. He doesn't really stand out in any way, but for a guy in his role, that's not a bad thing. Skates better than Alex Roach, who was supposed to be a clever signing by the Kings but flamed out in the minors this year and is back with the Hitmen for now. As for a comparable, think of a low profile bottom pairing D-man who can fight. Since he's Caps property, maybe along the lines of a more mobile, but less pugilistic John Erskine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad